MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Help with 256 Win

Boolit Bub

Help with 256 Win

Under the influence of a full moon or some other force, I decided that I wanted to try the 256 Win Mag in a TC Contender as a low velocity 100 yard plinker. I just like the sound of lead on steel.

I now have a 10" round barrel, some formed brass made from WW 357. I also have a supply of 85 gr .258 RNFP boolits from Meister. I had to drive a little over 4 miles one way to get them.

I have contacted three of my favorite powder manufacturers who are all reluctant to recommend their powder for this application. I should take that back as the fine fellow at Hodgdon did recommend Trail Boss I have enjoyed many pounds of Trail Boss, but there are times that I want the boolit to get there before the fog rises off the creek.

I have been told on another forum that the Contender twist is too fast for cast, but I also know to never say never to an old cast boolit shooter.

I just have to think that some of my old favorite powders will work in this cartridge. Hopefully there is some proven experience out there. Can some of you let me know what powder you use and a minimum/maximum?

Thanks,
    BIll
    Last edited by walkswithsticks; 10-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
    Sometimes I sits and thinks, Sometimes I just sits

What is the weight of the boolit? I'm using unique with 65gr lyman's but this is in a rifle. In the 10" I was using jacketed and H110 with so-so results.

Boolit Buddy
    Along w/ this, you could always use (start low ofcourse) some Reddot. I use that first w/ my cast loads.

Boolit Master
    Every Contender barrel has a personality. Whoever said the barrels don't like cast boolits obviously hasn't that much experience with multiple barrels with CB's. You just have to try them and find out. I would just try 6 gr of Unique or 9 gr of 4759 and go from there. You never know until you try. At the start, though, don't shoot more than two shots in a row without letting the barrel cool for a couple minutes. Some barrels do strange and wonderful things with that third and fourth shot (ie. my 223 carbine barrel loses 150 to 200 fps on the 3rd shot if I do 3 in under a minute - weird!).

I cant help you with a cast load, but from my 256 contender days I can tell you without reservation to NOT, EVER under any circumstances DUPLEX 2400 and unique ( long story involving a progressive loading setup and shared shell holder between 38 special and 256, was not intentional and was loaded as though it was 2400) frame and barrel (and shooter ) lived, bullets either never got to or missed the target.

Dan

My .256 Contender experience also was jacketed only, so I can't give specific loads. I think I'd work with Unique for mild loads and 2400 or A5744 for stouter loads. Pure guess here but I don't think you could get enough 4198 or RL-7 in there to cause pressure problems.

HONCHO EMERITUS

Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook (Third Edition) has loads listed out of a 10 inch Contender barrel with 65 grn and 89 grn boolits.

"The Complete Reloading Manual" for the Contender also has a lot of load data for the .256 Winchester.
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

I used to have one of those and it liked IMR 4227. It also shot cast boolits awful until I went at it with a throating reamer and gave it a decent throat. Before it was great with jacketed but not cast. afterward it was fine with both.

Boolit Master

You have two problems one is you do not say what you consider low velocity you may even be able to use small amounts of fast powders if you are talking 1200f/s or less . The other problem is some of those contender barrels will not shoot bullets heavier than 60 grs. Mine shoots full loads with 60 grs bullets fine but 75 gr bullets are all over the place and it is downright dangerous for me to send 87 gr. bullets down range they do not go anywhere near the target!

All my shooting has been with Jacketed bullets. I have been playing with making swaging dies to turn empty 22 LR cases into bullets for this gun but am having problems with the point forming part.

On the rifling twist it is the length not weight that determines how stable a bullet will be from a rifling twist so you may be OK but if not you might have to go lighter in bullet weight. There are a couple threads on the 256 Win Mag. do a search you may find some good help. Here is some more data but it is for jacketed bullets http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I soot jacketed 75 gr HP with 14.4 grains of 5744 out of a Win Low Wall. Fairly accurate, mild load.
    DHB

Banned
    Not a .256, but I shoot a lot of cast GC 120 gr bullets in all my 7mm's. Five (5) grains of Unique in 7mm TCU. It is accurate, inexpensive to shoot, and a lot of fun. Have two 10 inch .256 barrels if anyone is interested. Like .32 H & R as a fun little cartridge.

Hodgdon recommends H4198, H4227, and H110 with the Hornady 87 gr spritzer. These powders might be a good place to start with cast bullets.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master
    I have a copy of the contender manual. I would be happy to make you a copy of the 256 data. Gonna be a week or so though. Out on the road right now.
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Master

Hey Walks..... Just PM'd you my data from when I had a 10" Contender. As far as I recall, none of the loads were hot but I sure ran a bunch of them through the Contender. Barrel was a 10" Bullberry Bull barrel.

Sure would burst a water filled pop can at 100 on a regular basis.

The 25789GC was an NEI clone of the 257312 and it shot just fine. The 257420 was my standby plinking load.

Hope that helps you out./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....