Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: .223 Squirrel Assassin gets upgrade!

.223 Squirrel Assassin gets upgrade!

I decided to give the .223 an upgrade on optics. Jumped into a 4-16x40mm BSA Mildot with 1/8 MOA clicks and target turrets. When using the downloaded 1050fps hp's I use the second Mildot down and when shooting the heavier loads 3050 fps with 55 gr. Nosler Balistic Tips, I use the scope as it's intended. The downloads are for closer in removal of small critters.

------LOW POWER-----------------------HIGH POWER--------

I also have 12ga 26" barrel with screw-in chokes, .45 Colt with iron sights, 32" 45-70 Buffalo Classic barrel with Williams WGRS rear and Lyman Hooded front sight and have a 16-1/4" .357 Magnum barrel with 4x32 Mildot that fit this frame also, although I've moved the .357 to it's own for the wife to use with youth stocks for the time being. Last piece of the puzzle for me will be getting a .30-30 barrel and having it re-bored to .30-40 Krag. I might pick up a .30-06 in the meantime though.

Switch barrels minus scope

This is the little .357 Magnum:

Boolit Master

Dang! You got tuff squirrels.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Hehe well the low power ones are no different than .22 Long rifle ammo at 45 gr. and 1050 fps. I haven't actually used it on them anyway, just sounded cool. I did make it to the range for a racing 30 shots. The corn and soy beans are so tall at our farm I had to try to shoot from up by the house down to the lane area we drive down. I ended up not having a table, but kneeling and using my rifle case on the burning barrel as a support, so it wasn't the best scenerio. I'm pretty pleased with the results though. It took 7 shots to bring the scope on target and then I shot this group:

Thinking this is going to be a winner load for accuracy anyway. If I decide to buy a couple more powders I can probably gain 200-400 fps, but this is the only powder I'm using to load all my other rifles. The low power ended up being 2.5 mils down, so not on an even dot ratio, but I did manage a 1/2" group with those also.

Boolit Bub
    Good shooting Tack! You got some nice barrels too.

Thanks. Got 40 .45-70 loaded up with 300 gr. hp's for my next range outing. should be fun albeit slightly painful. hehe