Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: S&W dummy needs info

Boolit Master

S&W dummy needs info

Been looking around for a 629.Found a couple in really good condition in the 700.00 range but they are 6" guns. Want a 4".

Any way after looking on gunbroker i got more coufused.

I found Classic 629s and 629- guns. I understand what the dash stands for but what if any diffrence are they between the classic and the dash guns.
    Also what is the last dash numbered gun?

One more question. Do the V Comp guns have a blank/cap or whatever that replaces the comp when removed.

All helpis always appericated.

Boolit Master

I give up, what's the dash for.
    Askin cause I need to know.

Tanks
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master

The 629 classic has a barrel with a full length under lug , making it heaver.
    A 629 has the orgional 29 profile which is lighter .
    Not sure about the V comp on the 629, but my 627 V comp has a removeable comp and also a cap to put on the muzzel when the comp is not used

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    I give up, what's the dash for.
    Askin cause I need to know.

Tanks
    The dash is just a place holder followed by a number. 629-4 and the such. And if i am correct the number following signfies a change made to the design.
    Some one please correct me if i am wrong.
    thanks
    pac

Each subsequent dash number represents the latest "improvements" to the gun. Changes that have happened as the model has continued being produced. For example, the 629 was when the model 29 became a stainless steel gun. The 629-1 was when they made the first changes to the firearm. The 629-2 was the next set after that, etc.

629-2E (has to have the E) is the addition of the "Endurance Package" which strengthened a few weak points in the guns.

629-4 was the last to have the hammer mounted firing pin and all forged parts.

629-5 had MIM parts and frame mounted firing pins.

629-6 was the first with internal lock.

If I am incorrect on any of these, please correct me. I'm not an expert on the .44's.

Boolit Mold
    Have you tried looking on Buds Gun Shop? They have brand new 4 inch 629's (dash ten, the current model) for $757.00 with free shipping.
    "This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Robert W. Copeland, Captain of USS Samuel B. Roberts.

"Play marbles with cyanide balls and juggle jugs of nitro-glycerine if you must have excitement, but never try to scare an old gunman. The results of sucess are likely to get your name sandblasted on a piece of white rock." - Elmer Keith

Boolit Master
    James and 45
    Thanks for the info.
    I will take a look at Buds

I found what I consider the last word in packin' pistols last year. 4" 629-5 Mountain Gun, for $700. Yes, it followed me home. I had been wanting a m-24 of some variety since reading Skeeter and Elmer back in the '70's. This give you the handling of a m-24, the durability of ALL of the Smith longevity upgrades, and no Hillary Hole. Frame mounted firing pin bothers me not a bit - have had a M-17 and M-18 for decades, and they are 2 of my favorite guns.