Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for information on swaging

Boolit Master

Looking for information on swaging

Im looking for information from on swaging. So far I am looking to use a rock chucker and not sure what is the best setup. I could use some advice on what would be the best way to swag without getting in over my head. Just looking for the basic equipment that is easy and forgiving to learn on. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    What cal are you thinking? What is the price range?
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Im looking at starting with 357 or 9mm and trying to stay in the 200 range. I have been reading on the CH 4D dies but didn't know if there was a better setup.

Boolit Master
    From what I have read they are starting to phase those out. More of a special order. I do not think that you will beat those for the price you are looking at. Some here make dies like that but charge double.

There is another outfit out there that does half jacket dies. I cannot remember the name right now but someone here will.
    "Consequently we move away from other shooters to remain focused on our passion, as our ideas are quickly dismissed or misunderstood by others. Sharing does not come easily for swagers, not because they are necessarily selfish, but because they have been whittling away in their only little world for so long, that being able to relate to others what they understand is no simple task."

​Mentor

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. Like I said Im looking for something forgiving I would hate to spend a ton of money on a nice set just to mess them up learning.

In Remembrance

some of us are looking for cheap plinking bullets. (versus bench rest versions, which are very expensive). What makes a bullet very inexpensive is to be able to use something other than commercial jackets for forming the jacket. That's where using an empty case from some other caliber as the jacket comes in really handy.

Unfortunately, there isn't a good donor type caliber for 9mm/357 mag.

I shoot a lot of 9mm and 357 Sig (which also uses a 9mm bullet), and would love to have a way to make my own bullets for that. About the only way to do that would be to buy copper tubing, straighten it, cut it with a chop saw, and form it into a jacket in an series of steps.

Would it make nice jackets? Yep. Would it be easy to do? Yes, time consuming, but easy on the press. Would it be cost effective? Not in my book. And, I do a lot of swaging, but only on calibers where there is a readily available donor caliber.

I have some 32 auto brass that I keep looking at as possible donors, but........ for now I will stick with cast boolits and factory jacketed.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Hawk precission bullets makes single die semi wadcutter swage set. Like Duke in Maine said, 32acp seems to be what has been suggested for the 38 cal range jackets. One thing to remember with a semi wadcutter, you will probably have to shorten what ever you use as a jacket, so you may want to look at the little Harbor Freight 2 inch cutoff saw.

I have the Hawk set in 44 cal. I am not disappointed in them but like my Corbin set much better(also a LOT more expensive.)

Boolit Master

So I guess a good question would be is there a list of cases that make good donors?

Boolit Master
    .380 case could be used too, but they are somewhat rare and most would rather reload those. They need to be reduced to fit into the core swage die. For that matter 9 mm cases can be used but they also need to be reduced in size. So, that would add another die to your cost. 30 Carbine are about perfect in diameter but need to be cut to length.

Vendor Sponsor

Anything is possible! If you can imagine it, it has been done! Or can be done! Like bullets from brass. Just about any case you want can make any caliber of bullet, Just takes the right tools and time. For instance I have used a 9mm case to make everything from .308 to .451. The 40S&W case everything from .400 to .458 and the 45 ACP everything from .475 to .500. That covers a pretty broad range of callibers with just these three plentiful brass cases. Now if you have access to the 223rem it allso opens some doors for more great jackets especially the .375 and .358. Then if you are really good at finding scrap brass the 5.7x28 brass makes great 30 cals and ofcourse teh 22cal brass makes everything from .264 to .204. Really anything is possible!

The 9mm makes a great .358 jacket with a bullet of about 170-180 grains. Trim the 9mm case first and I make great looking 145 grain JHPs with it. Of course you have to size it down first.

check out the pic! all 145 grain .358 JHP from 9mms

Of course it took 2 extra dies to reduce the 9mm to size and a good 2 die swage die set.

Seriously though! I tell everyone for the amount of time and money it takes to make varrious "other" calibers you could simply buy a 40 cal one step die and save enough to buy a nice 40/10mm cal pistol to shoot the easy to make 40 cal bullets out of. Making 40 cal bullets from 9mm brass is by far the easiest and cheapest bullet to make and shoot in EVERY aspect! PERIOD!

Look into just how easy it is to make 40 cal bullets then compare to the others, the 40 cal is one of my favorites!

Here is some of my 40s

Welcome to the sight. Everything you could need to know about swaging can be found here.

If you enjoy reloading you will love swaging. Swaging takes your reloading hobby to the next level and opens all sorts of doors to devolope and customize you loads and potential.

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

Since we are discussing using fired cases for bullet jackets, does anyone know what case to use for .277 jackets for the 270 Winchester & 6.8 SPC? Berger has J4s but even Bruno doesn't stock them. Plus they are not cheap. I would gladly buy a jacket maker die if I could come up with the case to use. You are right about 30 Carbine cases for heavier 35 cal rifle bullets. I have made a bunch of external core seat punches. You almost have to make your own due to the varying inside diameters of cases. I use any old and cheap(almost free) 220 Swift dies for punch holders. They can be drilled & tapped .5x13 easily. Punches are turned from 1/2 in grade 8 bolts or 1/2 in drill rod. Then polish them down to the exact size you need.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Boolit Master

BT Sniper I have been reading your posts, a big reason I'm wanting to try swaging. I have access to all the pistol brass I will ever need I get it from a local range for 1.50 a pound. I would love to put it to use.

Vendor Sponsor

RMatchell,

With a lot of brass comes a lot of bullet potential Just let me knwo what you wish to make.

Midnight,

I just made a simple reducing die to take Sierra 30 cal match jackets down to .260!!!!!

Worked perfect! One pass easy! Made some good looking 170 grain .264 bullets too. This is what I would use if you don't mind buying commercial jackets. The resulting jacket is 1.35" in length when drawn down to .260.

I would guess it would work perfect and the sierra jackets are readily availble. Kind of expensive, not as much as J4s, but should be able to expect match grade out of them.

If your intent on using brass jackets the one that would work best is the 5.7x28 but it is hard to find cheap, normally about 7-10 cent a piece and still abit of work to reduce. Then you could use 1/4 copper tubing but that is about 10 cents each and a bit of work. You should look into reducing commercial jackets as well.

I have heard people use the 22 mags for the .264s. I'm sure it would work and would possibly be just as easy or more so then any other piece of brass. I'll experiment a bit and see what I can come up with.

Good shooting

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

Has anybody used a lee sizer die to reduce case size or to modify into a swaging die. I know I'm going to end up paying the price for a set of dies, it would be nice to save a few bucks and spend it elsewhere.

[QUOTE=BT Sniper;1792557] For instance I have used a 9mm case to make everything from .308 to .451.

BT,

When using 9mm for the upper end of this application, do you trim the rim area off and what would you use to do so. I have tried to use 9mm to make 44 bullets but, with the rim on, it is always off center.

In Remembrance

Off Center??

That only means that you tried to go UP in size by too large a % in one step.

NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor

Author of a book on reloading
    ILSA MEMBER http://www.internationallawnsteelsho...ssociation.com
    NRA RANGE SAFETY OFFICER

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=Sasquatch-1;1793338]
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    For instance I have used a 9mm case to make everything from .308 to .451.

BT,

When using 9mm for the upper end of this application, do you trim the rim area off and what would you use to do so. I have tried to use 9mm to make 44 bullets but, with the rim on, it is always off center.
    I remember at one time BT had made a special base punch to address this issue.

I have used 9mm brass to make both .357 and .355 jacketed bullets.

I even tried to us the useless Amerc brass for this, it was hell to size them down.

I switched to softer brass for this.

Here are some photos.

Sized down with Lee and Corbin dies in two steps, pinch die from Corbin that cuts the jacket (from the brass) into the correct length.

And finished with a set of dies from CH4D (shame if they stop the swaging dies!)

Here is the current project taking .40 cases to .452 for .45 ACP

Spin off the rim with the lathe...

I am starting to spin off the rims for .355/9mm now also...
    Just fold copper on lead...

121 grain .355 from 9mm cases.

If you heat the brass first you can go into the .353 sizer in one step, I am having new punches made just for this.
    Just fold copper on lead...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeInMaine View Post
    Off Center??

That only means that you tried to go UP in size by too large a % in one step.
    Ihave tried it a couple of times and the base of the bullet is always off to one side. Now I did make a cute little boat tail bullet in .429 out of 9mm. I have NO idea if there is an application for a boat tail in 44mag but I have one if I need it.
    Last edited by Sasquatch-1; 09-09-2012 at 07:27 AM.