Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CB Load for 7.7 Jap

reading the responses it is clear that i need to add a new powder to my storage locker. 2400 and perhaps RX-7 as well. stopped by the local sporting goods store and they dont carry it so i may have to break down and pay the shipping fees. The 2400 seems to have good application in the 7.7 .308 and 30-06 so i will have to give it a try.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Today i shot the old Jap Mauser and i was fairly well impressed, The sights take some getting used to. I kept picking up the right ear on the fornt sight instead of the blade. But once i got the hang of it it shot pretty good. Fctory Norma 180gn SPBT were hitting a bit high at 50 and my loads with the Lee .312 185 gr RN with a few loads between 29-31 grains of 4895 were pretty good for elevation but a little left. I had some other factory stuf i bought mostly for the brass that was a complete bust. 2 of the first 5 squibed and stuck the bullet in the barrel. Thought it was a fluke till the second one did the same thing. I figured the rest should be returned to the shop. I called the fellow and sugested he take these off the shelf. Good thing i brought along a cleaning rod so the bullets could be cleared.

Boolit Master

Here's what mine did with a 316299 NOE sized to .314" Bens Red, with 16gr of 2400. This was a short distance, maybe 25 yards.

Boolit Master
    A question in regards to sight settings, with the loads of 2400 or 4227,what are you using for sight settings? I haven't had a chance to bench mine yet and I have heard that some people have had to set their sight upright and at approx the 600yrd setting for 100yrds.
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

I've been using the NOE 316299 sized .314 with 23 grains of ReLoader 7 in my scoped 7.7 Arisaka and getting a consistent 1.5" grouping at 100 yards. IMR 4198 at 21 grains gave me many 1" groups, but boolit drop at 100 yards was twice as much, -14", compared to -7" with the ReLoader 7 load. Haven't chronograph either load. I got this mould in a group buy intending to use in my 303 British, but so far, dismal results-still a work in progress

I have 20, 316299 202gr sized to .314 sitting next to the emty 7.7 cases and i think they are going to work well. I still need to find one of those molds though it may be hard to come by.

Boolit Master

I can hook you up with boolits, but will not give up my mould.

Doug

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by mdevlin53 View Post
    I have 20, 316299 202gr sized to .314 sitting next to the emty 7.7 cases and i think they are going to work well. I still need to find one of those molds though it may be hard to come by.
    Zero stock on their web site, I guess your only hope is that another group buy comes along, or some decides to sell theirs.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the load data, even the load data from the die paperwork only has the pointy bullets. I loaded up 20 this afternoon with 4895. Five each with 28,29,30 and 31. next friday i will shoot it and see what it does. It will be the first time since the 50s that anyone has shot this rifle. I have been toting it around and keeping it clean for close to 30 years its about time.
    One thing cool about this rifle is that not only does it have all the design features of one of the earlier issues it also has the monopod rest a bayonet and the paperwork giving my dad permision to bring it home signed by the executive officer from the USS Iowa,
    Thats awesome you have everything and the papers to back it up. GREAT !!!!!
    I just aquired 2 99s that came back from japan at some point. They where not in good shape then and not kept well until now. I been working on them getting them up and running. Waiting on upper handguard and ammo....then I will cast for these also. I have a lyman 314299 which I hope will do well.

I have two all original Military rifles. the 99 and a 91 Argentine. They both shoot just about the same cartridge. they both have sloppy triggers but they are a boat load of fun to shoot. next time i take the 99 out i an going to do a side by side shoot. Both will have the 316299 bullets loaded over the same charge of powder whatever i decide is best for this contest and see which one is the top shooter.
    Next year i plan to shoot one of them in the military shoot they have at my range.
    I cant blow up your pictures mac1911 but the one on the left is similar to mine as it has the same sights. Does yours have the built in monopod?

Boolit Master
    Resurrecting the dead here...
    So I never really got things going as far as I wanted until recently.
    Here is the bore of the rifle that shot best out of my 3 choices I will be shooting it in a CMP 200 yard vintage match.

Link to my little adventure
    http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbu...hlight=Arisaka
    Last edited by mac1911; 09-03-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    I believe NOE (Night Owl Enterprise) has them...just checked limited supply right now ..unless you want a four cavity...my suggestion would be to wait and get one that has both the plain based version and gas checked..the plain base ones are amazingly accurate with pistol powders like Universal, Unique and American Select...

Larry & Swheelr give VG advise, but doing a chamber cast will tell you what yer throat is like, which in my opinion is the most important, gas blow-by as the bullet exits will always develop a wobble, the strength of the '99 ? read what Po Ackley had to say, Fivefang

mdevlin, it will be interesting , 53mm case length & 58 mm case length with "Ackley" shoulders, please do post the results, I have 7.7/06, & 7.7x58 typ. 99's & 6.5x50 typ.38, & enjoy all each has it's own personality, Fivefang

Boolit Master
    I shoot lighter cast boolits in both my model 99's. So far a 115 grain boolit sized to .312 over 5-6 grains of Bullseye or Green Dot works great out to 50 yds where it hits about 4 inches low from POA. Just about any fast pistol powder has worked so far. Not as accurate as heavier boolits which give more for the rifling to grab but still a blast to shoot. Slugging the bore on any military rifle is important , mine both came out at .312 but the one with a chrome bore has a worn throat and must of seen service from it's look. I'm using resized 30-06 brass and trim it about 30 thousands longer to compensate for the throat wear and both rifles seem to like the load. The biggest problem I've had so far is getting consistent neck tension which can really affect lighter boolits.
    They can make a good hunting rifle, took an 700 lb Elk years ago and have dropped a few deer with jacketed reloads.

Boolit Master

sight settings/velocity help

So im getting ready to test out a few loads for my Arisaka I want to shoot in a 200 yard CMP vintage military match,

I dug out my Crony only to find some nasty corrosion in the corner of one of the sensors ( battery end) it does not want to work...so anyone out there give me a rough idea of the velocity for
    Lyman 314299 200 grain gas checked and lubed and the 3 powder charges
    1. 16 grains of 2400
    2. 17 grains of 2400
    3. 25 grains H4895

last time out I shot 16 grains 2400 at 50 yards and was hitting aprox 1.5-2" high of POA with the sight on 300m
    I don't have a lot of time to test loads and crony before the match

Boolit Master
    I was able to get out the other day for a trial run.
    My 16 grain 2400 loads that did pretty well at 50 yards before didn't do so well at 100.
    The best group out of the limited test was 25 grains of H4895

Now to try a few powder charge variations and see if it will tighten up a smidge...then try to drift the front sight. I have it soaking in Kroil as we speak.

Boolit Master
    Try 21.5 SR4759 (if you have it) or 22.5-23.0 grs 300MP
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Try 21.5 SR4759 (if you have it) or 22.5-23.0 grs 300MP
    4759 has not been on any shelf local to me yet? No AA5744 to be found either

Boolit Master
    SR4759 has been discontinued, which is why I said, "if you have it..." I have found Alliant 300MP to be a suitable substitute in most respects. It does not have the case filling bulk of SR4759 but you can use SR4759 data to start with. As usual, start low and work up.
    USMC 6638

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast