Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: enlarge 460 wby to 512?

Boolit Master
    swheeler, I really wanted to go large enough to clean up threads but I chickened out on the case volumn of the 460. I bought some 300 rem ultra brass and with shoulders cut off and powder packed in case to boolit base is 90 gr. This is perfect because this gun is coming in under 8 lbs with scope. I plan to turn rim down to standard diameter(rebated rim) so I don,t have to mess with bolt face and therefore if this project fails I can rebarrel to a sensible caliber. The 300 feeds thru the rails so I am obtimistic it will work. I am boring out threads on barrel and insert a cut off section of barrel off fall. This will then get the new chamber cut in. I decided on using a 50-90 reamer for barrel and die as this is almost perfect dimensions with 300 ultra. This is the route I was hoping to avoid originally but I would rather pack the case full of powder then deal with fillers. I have no buffalo gun expectations from this project. The barrel is a muzzle loader barrel and if it shoots close to my front loaders I will be happy.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    A few pictures of project. Yes that is rain water you see, it actually rained last nite. You gotta love that big hole!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeg852012.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	46638

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jg852012.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	46639
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Grand Master

Nekshot; looking good butterknife and all, keep us posted as it progresses.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    I got all fired up over this project again as I finally gave up on a repeater and will only use it single shot. Yes I am a little thick but give me enough time and I catch up to reality! The easiest way thru this is to rent a 50-90 sharps reamer and hope the ulta brass expands in fire forming at base. I think!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I made the reamer myself(olmost proud about that) old threads cleaned up nicely, polished up nice and shot it abunch this afternoon. Has a funny recoil, not hard just differant and a tremendous muzzle blast (I shoot thru a muffler). The cartridges seal good and extract perfect and keeping it a single shot is the way to go. I am going to let it lay till fall(cooler weather) and now I must make a die to seat boolits in cartridge and a sizer for the boolits. I don't know why I waited this long to do this, as this is almost more fun than an old geezer should have!For those that are wondering the reciever has another stock and other barrels it gets used for, all smokeless of course.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12