RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Contender...Old rear match sight

Contender...Old rear match sight

I bought a 14" 22LR match barrel with this rear sight on it. Was wondering if anybody knows how old this sight is? I saved these picture's when I bought the barrel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pix631758787.jpg   pix580681885.jpg   pix372096152.jpg  

Boolit Master

As I recall, those became available in the mid-80s but I'm not certain how long TC offered them as an option. I first had one on a 7 TCU around '84 or '85 but haven't seen that style on a new barrel in quite a few years.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

If I remember correctly, that sight was only available from T/C as a replacement sight. I don't believe any barrel came factory new with them. I only saw them as an accessory and had several in the 80s, but never found them on any "Match" barrel. I had mine on a .30 Herrett and 7mm TCU barrels when I was shooting Pistol Silhouette. They worked really good once you got them set and did not change your loads.

These were made for Silhouette shooters. There are 4 distances to shoot in silhouette shooting and there are 4 height adjustment set screws on the sight. To use it, you simply rotated the large dial containing the set screws which caused the sights to change to the preset distances. The sight supported 4 preset distances, thus for silhouette shooting at 50m, 100m, 150m, and 200m for Long Range and 25m, 50m, 75m, and 100m for Small Bore and Hunter Pistol. The best scores I ever shot were using this sight.

I would love to find some more of these, old or new.
    Last edited by Mark85304; 07-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels in:
    .22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

Thompson Center Contender Pistol Barrels Wanting:
    .17 Mach - .22 Jet - .256 Win Mag - 6MM TCU - .30 Carbine

Yes..T/C accessory sight from the 80's, that's what I found.

Mark, Thanks for the information on the Silhouette shooting as far as finding one of these "Good Luck" but I saw a similar one on flea-bay auction #380443178245 Had 3 available.

Thanks for the information... Guys
    Last edited by Wildwood-Lake; 07-23-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood-Lake View Post
    Yes..T/C accessory sight from the 80's, that's what I found.

Mark, Thanks for the information on the Silhouette shooting as far as finding one of these "Good Luck" but I saw a similar one on flea-bay auction #380443178245 Had 3 available.

Thanks for the information... Guys
    Thanks for the reference, but those are not the same. They do not have the set screws to pre-set the elevation. Dang! These have the big adjuster so you don't need a screw driver to make the adjustment. You still have to count the number of clicks up or down AND remember where you last were in the settings. The sights I had employed the set screws to establish the rear sight height for each of the four distances. To change from Chicken to Pig you simply rotated it to the correct set screw. From any target to any target was simply adjusting to the proper set screw. VERY SIMPLE!
    --
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

.22LR - .22 Hornet - .22 K-Hornet- .223 Rem - .270 REN - 7MM TCU - 7-30 Waters - .30-30 Win - .30 Herrett - .32-20 Win - .357 Magnum - .357 Herrett - .35 Rem - .375 Winchester - .44 Magnum - .444 Marlin - .45-70 Govt

I think the set screws to the pre-set for elevations were for sights on Dan Wesson revolvers. I kept a log book for my sight settings, temperature and wind direction. That information didn't stop me from missing targets though.

I think the rear sight that you are thinking of with the pre set sight settings are made by Wichita arms ! I have a set on my sillouette pistol. Very nice but expensive!!! I was Quoted $300.00 us for the rear site alone !!!

Boolit Grand Master

Wichita made them for PPC revolvers as well. Aristocrat was a bit more popular but now that you mention it the Wichita PPC sight rib had a big wheel like that.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunegl View Post
    I think the set screws to the pre-set for elevations were for sights on Dan Wesson revolvers. I kept a log book for my sight settings, temperature and wind direction. That information didn't stop me from missing targets though.
    I have seen the set screw design on rear sights of many makes of pistols. As I said, I had a couple from T/C in the 80s that came with a matching Contender front sight. They worked real good.

I have 4 of these Williams rear sights with the blade not the peep that are going on a 7-30 Waters, .375 Win, 357 Mag, and 44 mag barrels, but I really would like to find the 4 setting rear adjustable sights. I'll keep looking.

--
    Mark
    Glendale, AZ

NRA Life Member
    ASRPA Life Member

Here's a close-up of the sight, I put chalk on the numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SITE_072612.jpg  

Minnesota, the state where absolutely nothing is allowed
    IIRC S&W had a front sight with indexed elevation dial for their silhouette revolvers sometime in the mid 80's. Not very popular or long lived.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bleukahuna View Post
    IIRC S&W had a front sight with indexed elevation dial for their silhouette revolvers sometime in the mid 80's. Not very popular or long lived.
    You are correct. I have a 29 silhouette with this sight. 4 screws adjust the sight, and a dial selects the different settings.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes