RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Gas Check Seater?

Boolit Buddy

Gas Check Seater?

How does a (Lyman) gas check seater work, and why do I need one? I've been seating gas checks with my RCRS Lubrisizer in .30, .35, .32. and .44 calibers and they seem to seat just fine, square, and tight.

Boolit Master

Yeah... me too!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    The gas check seater goes under the sizing die and fits around the rod that you use to adjust the depth that the boolit goes in the die. It keeps the H die from going down in the G die and lets you put the gas check on without running the boolit in the die.

If the gas checks fit tight it lets you seat then square.
    Dan

Boolit Grand Master
    No room for error with this system. I wish that I had this 40 yrs. ago, I could have been shooting tight cast bullet groups a lot earlier. Buckshot made this one for me.

The tool you see below is a .30 cal. g/c seating tool. The bore of the tool is .311 ", you simply size ANY .30 cal. cast bullet to .311", place a gas check in the base of the tool, put the alignment cylinder in place, place the top punch over the bullet , give a couple of taps and the g/c is seated " dead nuts on."

The alignment cylinder prevents the bullet from displaying any misalignment error when the g/c is being pressed onto the bullet's shank. It is amazingly simple and amazingly accurate each and every time a g/c is seated.

Ben

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130387
    Last edited by Ben; 07-21-2012 at 11:03 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The Buckshot/Ben gas check seating tool looks very precise, if you have bullets sized to the .311 diameter. But, I seat .30 cal checks on .313 (.303 British) loads, as well as .30 caliber .308 and 30-06 rounds, plus other calibers not in that family. And, my bullets are sized and lubed at the same time in the RCBS LAM. So, for the time being, I think I'll stick with my existing setup.

Boolit Grand Master
    hanover67

The system works fine in my situation, others with different needs may not find it so attractive.

Once I've managed to get 100 cast bullets sized .311 with a gas check fitted squarely and tight, I can easily change their outside dia. to .310, .309" etc.

Thanks,

Ben

Boolit Buddy
    So, if I start with .313 bullets from my mold and I have a .313 seater, I can then resize them down. Does Buckshot make a .313 seater, and how would i get one?

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, you'll need to contact Buckshot, the tool was made with my plans and by my specs that I wrote up and provided Buckshot. If you want one to your specs, provide them to Buckshot and have him make you one.

I have no interest in making a single penny from any aspect of this endeavor.

If you want one, you need to contact Buckshot via. PM. No one here on this forum will owe me anything for the use of the plans ( which Rick has now for the .30 cal. model that is identical to mine you've seen in the post ) and / or their ability to obtain a tool from Rick.