Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: .577-.450 dimensions

Boolit Man

.577-.450 dimensions

Can any one post a drawing of the "standard" .577-.450 shell? I realize that various rifles of that era will vary in the chambers, but am hoping there is a relatively standard size diagram. Is there a site I could visit or a thread that goes in to the size variations? WB

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodydoc447 View Post
    That gives a very wrong impresion of what the troat dementions(taperd from.468+) and groove dementions od .464 ,11 inches forward of the breach face.the chamber at the case mouth is.507.If you are looking for the proper bullet to fit .468 to .470 will work best in British military rifles and carbines

Boolit Man
    Herbert, What I am looking for is cartridge case dimensions, so I can make a sub chamber to shoot .45 colt in my Gehendra Martini. I know that is not a highly thought of option, but It will allow reduced loads in the old girl. WB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by water bug View Post
    Herbert, What I am looking for is cartridge case dimensions, so I can make a sub chamber to shoot .45 colt in my Gehendra Martini. I know that is not a highly thought of option, but It will allow reduced loads in the old girl. WB
    That boolit is going to rattle down the bore, although (IIRC) the Gahendras are supposed to have tighter bores than Brit made rifles. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recollect .458 for the Gahendra.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy

I have the dimensions for a case turned from brass that has an internal capacity of 70 grains. If you would like it PM me and I'll get you a copy scanned and emailed. You could modify the inner chamber and make it about any size you'd like. At least the bullets would be of bore size and aid accuracy.
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by drhall762 View Post
    I have the dimensions for a case turned from brass that has an internal capacity of 70 grains. If you would like it PM me and I'll get you a copy scanned and emailed. You could modify the inner chamber and make it about any size you'd like. At least the bullets would be of bore size and aid accuracy.
    That is the answer. There is/used to be some company which made these, but I've been unable to remember any part of their name (and no time to research).

Ed

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by water bug View Post
    Don't even consider it until you make a chamber casting. The chamber dimensions are pretty standard on my 3 British Martinis, but on my Gahendra, the cases balloon up so bad I'm afraid to fire it much because I don't want to ruin cases. Even if you made something to perfectly fit a gun with standard dimensions, it probably won't fit the Gahendra as well as you'd like. I fired one round out of my Nepal made Francotte and the shoulder moved forward 3/16 of an inch, never fired it again. No two of these (nepal made) rifles are alike and the bore dimensions are just as inconsistant. On Gahendras and Francottes you'll find bore dimensions from .457 to .468. On my Gahendra the bore is actually .451, and yes I measured the slug properly when I slugged it. No wonder there were British reports of these Nepal made guns suffering from barrel failures. Thats why the Brits sent them their surplus Martinis. Keep in mind these guns were made by skilled blacksmiths, not gunsmiths.

Boolit Man
    THANK YOU guys. This is the information I need. I have cerro metal and will slug the chamber.
    DOES anyone have a copy of a readable drawing refereed to on the British militaria forum? I cannot make out the dimensions.

DRHALL: I will PM you. WB.

Boolit Master

More good stuff

http://www.iaaforum.org/forum3/viewt...=8296&start=15

Parent case .577 Snider
    Bullet diameter .455 in (11.6 mm)
    Neck diameter .487 in (12.4 mm)
    Shoulder diameter .628 in (16.0 mm)
    Base diameter .668 in (17.0 mm)
    Rim diameter .746 in (18.9 mm)
    Rim thickness .06 in (1.5 mm)
    Case length 2.34 in (59 mm)
    Overall length 3.12 in (79 mm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.577/450_Martini-Henry
    Last edited by skeettx; 07-22-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Boolit Man
    Skeetx, and ALL, Thanks for the information and links. I think I have enough to go by now. WB

Boolit Buddy

W.B. I tried to e-mail it to you and it bounced. Is the address good?
    Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
    An armed society is a polite society.
    Just because they say you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you!

Boolit Man

email bounce

I mis typed the E-Mail address substitute z for the x and it will work, I HOPE.... WB