Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners Load Data
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Buying Hunting Land in Texas

Smokey, in addition to the Ag exemptions and game exemptions you can claim, there is also the possibility of the homestead exemption. It can reduce your taxes sometimes by anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2. I'm not sure about the eligibility requirements but I know you can only claim one homestead ex. uncle jed

Boolit Master
    Char-Gar,

skeettx just told you more about mopane than I knew. I'm with you about cooking with mesquite but I also use pecan. I'm 61 and probably not that far generationally removed from you. I should have explained the mopane reference for those who have not experienced the African bush. Hauling mesquite to Africa is not practical, however, now that I think about it mesquite and acacia look somewhat similar. Hmmm.

smokeywolf,

I was just trying to give you an idea of what is available here. Once you get settled in to your homestead/refuge you can look for ways to spread out and increase your bounty. Hunting in Texas is primarily a pay to play proposition but there are exceptions.

Regards,

Tony

Boolit Master
    uncle jed, thanks for the tip about homestead exemptions. Believe it or not they actually still have that here in So Cal.

As far as grilling and smoking goes, I use Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, Apple, and Red Oak. Mesquite and Red Oak together is particularly good for tri-tips and briskets. Mesquite charcoal and Hickory chunks are good for bacon wrapped scallops and bacon wrapped asparagus. Hickory, Pecan, and Apple are all good for smoking turkey and for those long 10 hour smokes of a pork shoulder/butt (pulled pork).

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master

AND apple wood soaked in water for 24 hours is wonderful for smoking
    large Rainbow trout
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Eastern Boulder Cnty,CO. Can be found shooting at GMSC. Erie

Ah Camarillo

Smokeywolf, lived in Oxnard and worked off Cawelti Rd.(SP?).
    How I remember my times there (1977-1982). Worked as an irrigator on a farm on the west side of the road and hunted along the foothills east of the state hospital. Fell in love with the farm Supervisor's daughter and lost contact with her after I joined the Army.
    Ahhh the dove and quail hunting along the hills. My favorite hunting memories.

AND that is why I am now looking to retire to TEXAS. In an arc NW and through NE of San Angelo.

Lots of nice country, nice towns and nice people in the area you described.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    Here is one of the properties that caught my attention.

http://www.trulia.com/property/photo...-79734#item-25

Unfortunately, it has a homeowner's Association. Rules include "no hunting within the community"

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456