Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Help me identify my Pedersoli

Boolit Master

Help me identify my Pedersoli

I inherited a .50 Pedersoli when my grandfather passed away a few years ago. I finally found a place to deer hunt this fall and I thought I would use the rifle to get a jump on some of the other hunters. I have tried to find the rifle on Pedersoli's web site but no luck so far. It looks very similar to the Kentucky rifle on Cabela's website, but only has a 28 inch barrel and is 43.5 inches overall. The stock extends to the muzzle with the brass cap and it has the double trigger.

Might be the frontier carbine. I used to have one of those, nice rifles. If you could post a picture I'm sure the experts here will be able to give you an answer!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Might be the frontier carbine. I used to have one of those, nice rifles. If you could post a picture I'm sure the experts here will be able to give you an answer!
    Thanks Nobade! Interestingly enough, it meets the size description on Pedersoli's web site perfectly, but strange thing is, they don't have pictures of the completed kit rifle, unless my browser is blocking them for some reason. It appears that it is not available as a fishished rifle, only a kit, but maybe it was at one time. The fit and finish on the rifle is too good to be a kit gun.

Boolit Buddy
    go to the pedersoli pages at www. cherrys.com youll find a picture of nearly everything pedersoli makes

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 5shotbfr View Post
    go to the pedersoli pages at www. cherrys.com youll find a picture of nearly everything pedersoli makes
    Thanks!

The Pennsylvania Scout appears to be the one!

http://www.cherrys.com/pedpics/S223b.jpg

Boolit Master

Appears it has a 1/34 twist, should I start out with round balls or conicals?

Boolit Master
    34" twist in a 50 is pretty fast. A regular ball twist is close to twice that long. Some will say it probably won't shoot round ball very well, but it might do OK. That twist raste was clearly made to take conicals. A "Compromise" twist (for ball and conicals) is usually 48". Ball twist; high 50s to around 70 inches, with around 60" being most common. Lyman's 50 cal "Hunter" barrel (for heavy conicals) has a 32" twist.

Boolit Master
    The fit and finish on the rifle is too good to be a kit gun.
    Hmm. I'd have though it would work the other way around-- factory fit and finish in this price range doesn't have a great reputation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omnivore View Post
    Hmm. I'd have though it would work the other way around-- factory fit and finish in this price range doesn't have a great reputation.
    I have a few of the kit guns my grandfather put together, and while I really enjoy having something he built, they certainly don't compare to a factory rifle. I don't own any high end guns but the stock on the Pedersoli is probably the nicest one I have.

Boolit Master

It should shoot RB fairly well, the manufacturer's match at Friendship, IIRC was won one year with the Dixie Yeager which has the same twist. It may tak a tight fit though.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Buddy
    i bet that 34 twist would realy shoot one of the lee r e a l bullets good