Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's The BEST Primer Pocket Taker Outer??

In Remembrance

Question What's The BEST Primer Pocket Crimp Taker Outer??

Currently I use the Ole RCBS Primer Pocket Crimp remover die, I've had this thing for some time and am very familiar with it's ups and downs. The question is has anyone "HERE" ever gotten what the markets got available and done one of those head to head comparisons?

In todays world your not allowed to "test drive" anything in the reloading world unless you just happen to know someone that has what you may be interested in and give it a whirl per-se.

For some people they can get what they want and be done with it, others like to get the opinion of others and make that 1 time purchase in hopes it will be the one and only time they'll need to get that certain piece of equipment.

Any one out there ever gone through and actually found out which primer pocket remover tool held up the best and actually took it to the max to find out which one withstood the pressure? And I'm not talking one of those hand held tools either folks, I do at times a tremendous amount in one sitting, emphasis on the sitting part.

From what info I can gather there are the RCBS die type, I guess the new improved RCBS bench mount, and the Dillon tool all of which do the same thing, and that's remove the primer pocket crimp. Which one would be the toughest, strongest, and most durable to own?
    Last edited by GRUMPA; 07-15-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added a couple of words
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Grand Master

Not exactly sure how you would "take out" a primer pocket. Braze it over?

Do you mean removing a primer or a primer pocket??

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Swaging away military crimps.

I use the RCBS as well. The Dillon is supposed to be faster and easier, I might consider it if I find myself doing a few thousand.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

In Remembrance
    YEP!!! it's supposed to read:

Whats' the best primer pocket crimp taker outer?
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

i tried a few and settled on the hornady cutter version ( it's cheap it works and it's fast ) and they seem to hold up rather well

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/617...ter-head-large
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...ter-head-small
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master
    Grumpa, I have been using a Dillon for quite awhile for 5.56 and 45 acp. The tool is A-One. Doing large quantities is labor intensive regardless, but for a finished product -- the primer pocket sans crimp -- the tool does a very good job. It is imperative that the ram completely cams over to full extension, and that means the handle must go below in line with the ram. This mean mounting the body of the tool elevated to the work table or mounting on the edge of the work table to get full extension. I look at it this way. Even if a tool is pricey, it is a one time expense. Properly cared for quality tools last a lifetime or more, and having good tooling puts you one up on doing quality work.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I used the RCBS a few times, had one with the large spacer and one with the small spacer, didn't like either. Tried a drill bit and a cordless drill, worked but difficult to hold the case, finally thru my hands in the air and ordered the Dillon. It is a great machine. I mounted it on a 2X6 and I can c-clamp it anywhere I choose and put it to work. Simple to change over and easily adjusted; it don't git no gooder!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I had the RCBS swage kit that you used in a press. It worked, but I didn't like having to jerk the case off the swage at the bottom of the stroke. It went down the road.

I have the Dillon now. I have used it on thousands of 5.56 brass, both LC and WCC, where it worked great. I have also used it on several hundred 7.62 where it removes the crimp, but the primer gets tough to insert about halfway in. It may be my particular lot of brass or it may be the swage isn't quite large enough. I need to call Dillon and find out.

Once you get everything set up; you can almost go to sleep while swaging pockets with the Dillon, it is that easy.

RCBS just came out with a new unit that looks a lot like the Dillon, except the lever operates horizontally instead of vertically. I think it will work as well as the Dillon, but I haven't seen one in real life yet.

Robert

Boolit Master

I have the CH4d swaging tool. However, I find the Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool (normally used after case trimming) to be more effective when working with mixed brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Anybody try out the RCBS bench unit? They are a good company and the prices are a bit
    less than the Dillon.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Banned

I use the press-mounted RCBS swager, but the large primer swager leaves a step in the pocket about halfway down, making primer seating unnerving as the primer "pops" past the step and seats suddenly.

Gear

I've had the RCBS tool for many years and have never really liked it, it is just something you have to do sometimes.

I mostly just chamfer the pockets with a countersink running in my drill press. This gets old too.

My Bro in law bought a Dillon one and it is a joy to use and I will be getting rid of my RCBS tool and replacing it with the Dillon.... Someday,, or maybe I'll just borrow his.

It's not the kind of thing you do every day.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    "What's The BEST Primer Pocket Crimp Taker Outer?? "

It's a secret but it's made by the same company that makes the best pickup truck and the best oil.

I've used the RCBS press mounted swage tool and Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool on surplus brass with good results. Once I came upon 40 SW "non-toxic" cases that also has crimped primers. The flash holes are also enlarged. I tried the Lyman pocket reamer with no success. I ended up using the Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool with great success.

Boolit Man
    Dillon 600 here.
    If enough pressure is applied, it'll go

Boolit Man
    I've used a Weldon DB-18 (90 degree) countersink on my .223 military crimped brass and have found it less painful than most other methods of "decrimping" primer pockets. It chucks into your electric drill and it works wonders quickly. I found mine on EBAY. Doesn't take much effort whatsoever.
    Last edited by dauntlessdave; 07-16-2012 at 06:20 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm using the same L. E. Wilson cutter that my dad used in the 1950s. It's probably done well over a thousand crimped pockets; still very sharp.

smokeywolf

Boolit Grand Master

I use CH4D's swager. Works well for what I need it do. I might do a couple hundred at a time. If I was doing thousands I'd want the Dillon tool as it's just easier. I did not want to invest that much money into it.

Brought to you by TapaTalk.

Boolit Master
    I'm another one of those "Had an RCBS press mounted, and switched to the Dillon"
    Like Robert said above, I also didn't like to jerk the case off of the swager button.
    The Dillon has unbelievable leverage; so much so that it'd be possible to ruin a case without feeling it, if you don't have the tool adjusted properly. I've also mounted the Dillon to a 1x4" piece of oak that I c-clamp to my bench when needed. I can also say the ease and leverage provided by the Dillon is a premium when sitting down to swage 500 to 1000 pockets. Yeah, you only do this once to a batch of brass and the heft of the tool definately makes the chore bearable. I'm not a "Blue Coolaid Drinker" either; but Dillon's swager, in my opinion, is a darn fine tool and well worth the cost.
    Last edited by PbHurler; 07-16-2012 at 07:27 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    I have no complaints about the RCBS ram mount primer pocket swager. I used a ream type for a couple years but it’s hard to get any consistency reaming pockets out. The ram swager may be slow, but you only need to swag the pockets once. I have done hundreds of 3006, 308, and 223, with the RCBS. I even ran into a thousand 9MM with crimped primer pockets. But like many things in reloading, if you can justify the cost, and you feel you can’t live with out it. Get what works best for you. As with every piece of reloading equipment, there is no one best product. There is just what works best for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast