RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chronographs (NEED ADVICE)

The next one I buy will probably be a Beta Master Chrony (they take shot up units on trade ). A little hint -Use wooden dowels instead of the provided metal support rods for your skyscreens, they will save you from tearing a lot of expensive bits up when you're off a little on windage! You can also put a piece of heavy plexiglass or other suitable material at an angle in front of the unit to help guard against low shots.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've owned a chronograph in one form or another for 30 years. My first one used the fragible screens, which were made from silver printed paper. Each shot cost 20 cents. Skyscreens are so much better, and my first Oehler had them.

I guess I've owned five different chronographs now, and presently have a Competition Electronics and a Chrony with the remote display.

I've never shot any of mine, but I use the previously mentioned method of sighting along the side of the barrel before firing. I do clean a lot of boolit lube off the front of them, and added a piece of heavy plexiglass to the digital readout on the C.E.

Spend whatever your needs require. For my use, the two I have work just fine.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

One more for chrony...

I have had a Beta Master Chrony for several years and can find no faults with it. I got their Ballistic Printer at the same time, and it is great. Saves a lot of time, and both sit right on the bench. Easy to see and easy to use. I haven't shot mine yet, but I have taken a few precautions with it. Since I only use it on my own range, I built a dedicated stand for it. It is simply a 4X4 post cut to the right height with a piece of 2X6 screwed to the top. There is another 4X4 directly in front of that one with a 8X8 piece of 1" thick stainless steel bolted to it at a 45 degree angle. I also use wooden dowel rods to support the skyscreens. Hey, it may have only cost $100, but I have no intentions of replacing it any time soon!
    "Ignorance is curable, but Stupid is forever!"
    -Granddad

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Sundogg1911 View Post
    I think the F1 Chrony is a cheaper version (the green one) I don't think it records strings or anything, but a pencil can do that.
    My F1 Chrony is the only chronograph I have ever used, and I've only had it about nine months. So far, I am quite satisfied, and it's 'one string' limitation is not a problem as that is all I need in one gulp.

It will give you more than just the velocity of the last shot.
    A button switch wired to a mini-plug will get it to tell you Hi, Lo, Av, SD, and ES with each push of the button...then it will display the velocity of each shot in the string, in the order it was fired.
    I write it all on the target it corresponds to, and you can cycle it as many times as you want, to get it all recorded. You can then use the button to reset for the next string.

The wire connecting my button to the Chrony is 20 feet long, so I can set the unit that far away from the bench, but (if you build your own accessory, as I did) you can make it as long as you want. (Chrony also sells one, ready-made.)
    At that distance, I can't clearly read the display, but a pair of those seven-dollar (on sale) shirt-pocket sized binoculars do the trick.

The F1 Master is the same Chrony, but the digital readout is not mounted on the front of the unit. It is on a long wire that lets you bring it to the bench, and eliminates the need for building a 'button accessory'.

So far, the only impact on mine was a small fleck of bullet lube, on one occasion.

The one thing I would like to do (which I haven't got up the courage to try) is to have the Chrony sitting out at the target...to measure the speed at that point.
    That information, as I understand it, would be useful in calculating the BC of the bullet...something which kinda intrigues me.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Smile

Another thing to be aware of with the Chrony's screen, besides shooting it or hitting it with gas checks, is that unburned powder particles from coarse powders such as the IMR series will hole the plastic over the screen and make it hard to read. They can do that from 10 feet or so away. It's worth putting a clear protector over the screen before it happens.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to thoughtfully answer my request for information on the chronographs.

I placed my order at Midsouth for a Master Alpha Chrony. It has the remote unit that can stay on the bench and I can protect the readout area on the unit while shooting!

Thanks again!

Bill

Another vote for the CED chronograph.
    Here is a link to a review from m1911.org on the CED that Steve and I compiled for the e-zine.
    http://ezine.m1911.org/CEDchrono.htm
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

I have the low priced ProChrono. Did everything I required it to do. Tough critter to, took 3 well placed shots to finally put it down to stay down. I have to mail back to the manufacturer and see if they can bring it back to life.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12