MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Shotgun Load

Shotgun Load

Well I have settled on Red Dot as my shotgun powder for target loads. Now I need to decide on a hull. Ideally, I'd like to stick with one hull to simplify everything. I am thinking that Remington gun clubs are the way to go. They use the same load data as STS and are much more widely available in the throwaway bin at my shooting club.

What do you recommend? Also, what are the best loading manuals, I currently have the Lyman manual.

Boolit Master
    I use the gun clubs some they Crimp well for me and are cheaper to buy and easier to find. Most consider the sts and the old style AA the best but like you said most shooter keep them or if you buy them they cost more.

Boolit Master
    remington gun clubs work great, just mindful to the heads. They can rust up quick. If left to long in storage mine develope rust at the points the fingers grab to hull to load them into my gun.

I use all the Remington hulls. Gun Clubs, STS, Black and green sport hulls. Nitro's load the same, but I don't have any as people seem to hang on to them. They all load the same and you can use the different colors to sort different loads into.
    What mac1911 said is true, the ones that have been around a while can start to rust. I just toss out the ones that are a bit rusty as I am sizing or loading them. But if your picking them up for free its no big deal to pitch a fair number of them.

Is this rusting preventable? I am looking to buy a case or two of shells partially to get the once fired hulls and partly to satisfy my immediate need for ammo. If I buy STS I'll know that I'm all set, but will be spending extra $$. If I buy the gun clubs and do not get them wet, can I store them with minimal worry of rusting or are they only good for short term storage? I don't mind the extra initial cost if I'll be better off in the long run.

Boolit Buddy
    You might want to try Clays at some point. I LOVE Green Dot, but the difference in barrel funk is enormous. I use 18.5 grains of Clays, WWAA12SL wad, and 1 ounce of shot in GunClub hulls.
    If you want your children to follow in your footsteps, be careful where you walk.
    Beware the man that only owns one gun; he probably knows how to use it.
    Some things never change; others change more slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by crowbeaner View Post
    You might want to try Clays at some point. I LOVE Green Dot, but the difference in barrel funk is enormous. I use 18.5 grains of Clays, WWAA12SL wad, and 1 ounce of shot in GunClub hulls.
    A+ on clay's. CLEAN
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master SPRINGFIELDM141972's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ***ooptimax200 View Post
    Is this rusting preventable?
    You can keep it to a bare minimum by keeping them dry, but any minor rust is easily removed with a few twists in a 0000 steel pad wrapped around the base.
    "There's a reason John Browning's middle name is Moses."

Boolit Buddy
    Red Dot or Clays are very good powders for 1 oz loads. They also work good for the lighter side with 1 1/8 oz loads so as long as you are not going to push 1 1/8 over 1200 fps, they are a good choice; Clean burning.

I like the Downrange brand of wads.