Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Buck and Ball loads

Buck and Ball loads

I'm looking for some reloading recipes for a "buck and ball" 12gauge load.and to see if anyone has actually made one. And if so, what kind of performance did you get? I tried the search function here, and Google and didn't come up with anything.

I'll admit, I haven't been hunting in about 10 years but am an unashamed phone-book and water jug blasting redneck. And just kind of looking for a round to mess up old PC cases and the occasional broken printer with. (I'm only half joking...)

Wikipedia tells me that the Civil War issue was a .69 caliber round ball and 3 "buckshot pellets" (size? O?). And they had a study that claims that while less accurate than a Minie ball out to 200 yards, the chance of at least 1 pellet hitting for the buck and ball was better.

Then again, maybe with modern (faster) rounds, buck and ball is a solution in search of a problem. Just stick with something like OOO buck and call it done?

Banned
    Hello John, read this post:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=153045
    Have fun reading.
    Ajay
    www.BlazingSabots.com

http://youtu.be/-YuxOQ3a8wA - load video
    http://youtu.be/-x8GZicqSRU - range video

This guy knows his stuff. He's on some of the other forums I browse.

The links don't work for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edub View Post
    http://youtu.be/-YuxOQ3a8wA - load video
    http://youtu.be/-x8GZicqSRU - range video

This guy knows his stuff. He's on some of the other forums I browse.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Edub's youtube videos are 2012 links, I am guessing YouTube either removed the videos or the channel owner did so in the last 6 years. Wish we knew the channel owners' name. SuperBlazingSabots is still around I think though

Thank you, I didn't notice the date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Edub's youtube videos are 2012 links, I am guessing YouTube either removed the videos or the channel owner did so in the last 6 years. Wish we knew the channel owners' name. SuperBlazingSabots is still around I think though

Boolit Grand Master

I never quite figured the appeal of buck and ball loads. If you are close then plain 'ol buckshot is good. If you are farther then a double ball load or Tri-Ball load (Dixie Slugs style) makes sense.

I'd rather have two 0.600" to 0.690" balls in the gun for bear protection than one ball and some shot. The Tri-Ball of course is even better.

For home defense I'd worry about over penetration with slugs or large RB's in a house or apartment so my choice would be 00 buck or smaller.

For general blasting I'd figure a two ball load or buckshot would do just fine. I have fun with single RB or slug.

Different strokes I guess.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    BPI used to have a good 00 and Slug Load that was quite good. In a Full Choke it would shoot the Foster Slug to Point of Aim with 6-00 behind it.
    It was the best slug/buck or Buck/Ball load that I've fired. Most weren't worth speaking of. I did try some Balls with #3 Buck behind that were decent, but not consistent.
    Greg

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    i have been loading 3 single 0 buckshot under one .690 round ball . 17-19 grains red dot. not really sure of the performance. i just use them for blasting away. they will all hit a 1/2 size silhouette target at 25 yards. most will hit it at 50 yards some misses may be due to the fact i can't see well at 50 yards even with glasses.

Boolit Buddy
    The Group/Shot distribution was more like 3" for the Slug at 25 yards and 15" for the 6 Buck Behind. Out of .727 Cylinder is was not as good.
    The Slug was a .678" Foster style with .010" Teflon Wrap around the Back and Slug. A 30" Full choke .690" Ithaca in 2 3/4" was the best patterning.
    Greg