Thread: 11mm Mauser brass

Boolit Mold

11mm Mauser brass

Where can I get this brass.
    Can it be made from .348 brass?
    Any help appreciated.
    CM

Boolit Master
    Need to clarify the cartridge, I cannot find an 11mm Mauser.
    10.75x63, 10.75x69, 11.15x60R and 11.2x60 Mauser are listed.
    drinks, NRA life, TSRA life, SAF life, CCRKBA, GOA, JPFO, CBA, Def-Con.

Boolit Mold
    I's for the 71/84 Mauser.
    CM

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Bertram has this brass. Mine, a few years ago, was not formed, but sized nicely in the LEE dies for the caliber. No trimming was needed with mine.

Is this also known as the .43 Mauser?

Boolit Buddy
    no you cant reform from 348, i dont think. i have cases from BELL and also Bertram. i got mine from huntington die. 11mm mauser or 43 mauser seem to be two names for the same thing, but i have learned there are differences in the chambering of the mod71 rifle verses the 71\84.-phil

43 Mauser, 11mm Mauser and 11.15x60R are all the same beast. M71 tends to have a groove diameter in the 0.452" range, and M71/84 about 0.446".

I make mine from 44/77 Sharps from Track of the Wolf. Just a bit short on the neck, but the neck is very long (0.800"), so it's a non-issue. It's made from 348 Win brass, but with tools you don't have.

Boolit Mold
    Andy: A search page didn't show me "Track of the Wolf".
    What do you have to do to make the 44/77 brass
    work in the 71/84 11mm Mauer?
    Do you have an address, please or any other info?
    Thanks -- CM

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(4dr...90&styleID=925

You just run it into the 43 Mauser die.

Boolit Master

NRA Handloading book says .43 Mauser (11mm) can be formed from .44-77 Sharps & Remington. Trim to 2.25, full length size. Rim may be too small. Midway claims that .44-77 brass will become available soon from Jamieson International. (Rick Jamieson?)

Ken

Making .43 Mauser brass for a 71/84 may not be as easy as running some other rimmed case into the die.

The rim on the real Mauser round is effectively about .085 thick, because the head of the cartridge is actually domed in the middle, around the primer. Using brass with a thinner rim will give you a headspace headache. There is a shoulder on the case, but it's not enough to headspace on.

I have a stash of new .43 Mauser brass that is headstamped .HDS. As I recall I got it from Huntington Die Specialties about 5 years ago when I got my 71/84.

The Dominion cartridge company in Canada sold .43 Mauser ammo loaded with smokeless for a long time. Even after WW2, apparently. Legend has it that a boatload of brand new 71/84s was imported to Canada sometime between the wars. The Canucks seem to have used them for meat rifles, but some escaped to the USA. I have about 40 of these Dominion cartridges, and the quality of the brass looks better than the .HDS. stuff.

Anyway, before you go crazy trying to make your own cases, contact Huntingtons, and also do some scanning on the wwWeb to see if you can score some of the Dominion ammo. I bought mine at gun shows around Michigan here, in 2001 and 2002, I think.

I've mentioned this before on other threads having to do with the Mauser 71/84, and I'll mention it again:

This gun was designed from the get-go for paper-patched ammunition. (I have some of THAT around, too, but I can't lay hands on it at the moment.) The chamber neck will seem too small when you try to use plain lubed boolits. This is not wrong. It is in fact just as it was made to be. The OEM ammunition had a dead-soft patched boolit, which was obturated in the throat by the gas pressure. This is exactly consistent with Paul Matthews comments in "The Paper Jacket" about guns designed for paper-patch ammo. By making the slug a bit small, it would work better in a fouled bore.

I have yet to fire a round thru mine. I'm more than half convinced that it is in new-unfired condition. Hopefully I'll get over it someday.

It's interesting to think that, while the USA was getting by with the Trapdoor, and our repeaters were incapable of firing anything more pistol ammo, the Germans were issuing this beautifully made bolt-action repeating shoulder cannon to their troops.
    Last edited by uscra112; 05-03-2007 at 08:04 PM.

UPDATE:

Yes, Huntingtons still lists it:

http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_hdsrifle.html

Boolit Grand Master

I got mine from Grafs.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy

Super Moderator

................Graf and son has it currently for $35/20. They will put it on sale every once in awile for about $27/20. While the body of the 43 Mauser cartridge may be formed from some other, it has the so called "A" base. This is an OD a bit smaller then the rim what extends maybe (picturing it in my mind) .050" below what would normally be a flush face on any other cartridge. There were several other European cartridges that had this feature.

Since the correct brass is available, I can't see where it would make much sense to buy it made from something else, unless it was a LOT less expensive.

.................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Moderator Emeritus/Boolit Master in Heavens Range
    Yes, you CAN make cases for the 11 mm Mauser from .348 Win brass. I've done it, but it's a lot of trouble. You have to swage the base of the 348 cases down substantially before they'll enter the 11mm chamber - or at least before they'd enter MY rifles chamber.

This was before so many sources of old brass sprang into being in the last decade or so. All in all, you're a lot better off buying commercial brass.
    Regards,

Molly

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Man
    ". . . Jamieson International. (Rick Jamieson?) . . ."
    No, another man altogether.
    This shop's tooling is from the MAST outfit that got Bell Extrusion's tooling.
    They are going like a house afire, with hard to get stuff, like .577 Snider and .577-.450 Martini-Henry at prices greatly reduced from what has been available.
    I don't believe they have a web site yet.
    From what I've seen, it's good stuff.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross