RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: pedersoli 45-110 quigley nightmare

Looks like it got ran over by a truck.

I can't see how it could be that crooked. There has to be a gap on the left side somewhere.
    New gun for sure.

Owen

Boolit Mold
    well, thanks for puttin up with my delema guy's, all of your attention is greatly recieved,like the man said , a picture is worth a thousand words, there you have it..i'do believe in the pedersoli gun, i am a bit taken back as to how this one got past everybody...but it is human to make error, so,i'll keep you posted on the cure.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    After seeing the picture, I would say they had to be aware of it at the factory. For that much off set, a standard stock pattern would not have fit the action properly, without some extra hand work. When that happens at a gun manufacturer, it is immediately known.

Hey! Guiseppi! Look ata disa picea crappola!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Mold
    beats me.

Nah it's pretty easy to see that happening if the action gets machined in 2 or more different fixtures. How it made it out the door with a defect like that is amazing. But baffling to me is that the 'smith didn't catch either. I guess it just goes to show the extent to which assumption can blind a person. On the other hand if the sight lined up and it shot well would you have noticed or cared? The real let down I think is the time of yours that was eaten by this debacle. I hope Pedersoli makes it right with you and hopefully the new gun has even better wood!
    Is this a......what day is this??

I had issue with a Uberti, same company, owned by Beretta, I think. It took a year but I did get a new rifle.

Owen

Boolit Mold
    plinkster, those are my sentiments exactly, well said.. mike

Boolit Master
    >>>Nah it's pretty easy to see that happening if the action gets machined in 2 or more different fixtures.<<<

These types of probablems can be really bad for a manufacturing company. I bought a used rifle made by a well known and loved American company. It would not group into a 2 foot square with any ammo. The barrel had two tight spots one about .001 the other about .0015. It took a while for me to find this. I returned the like new but 15 year old "used" rifle to that company and they put a new barrel on it for no charge.
    The point I was making above is this rifle could have been resold or traded around forever giving that company a bad name with many people for one bad barrel.
    If I were the production/manufacturing engineer at any company I would want a item back immediately to determine what is causing the problem. That will permit a permanent fix so that it can never occur again.
    EDG

edge...i completely agree with your post...i also traded into a well known american company's rifle in 45-120. it had the action valley where the rounds are loaded into the breech that wasnt ground properly to allow the long cartridge to chamber without rubbing very tightly on this valley.

this rifle is a older model that has probably been thru numerous hands and the dissatisfaction was just passed on to new owners with no body calling the factory or contacting them concerning this oversight.

i ... at first was very dissapointed with this long awaited rifle and had very poor consideration of this company rite up to the point of ...on the advise of several others that i consider friends...called the company and also e-mailed them photos of the missed grinding area.

the company promptly had the president of the company call me personally and requested the rifle to be returned for the repair that was needed for the correction of this foo-bar.

upon returning this rifle to the company they...on my request... shortrned the barrel...re-cut the dovetail...re-drilled the scope holes...re-blued the barrel...and of coarse... re-ground the reciever...re-cased the action...installed new front and wrist mounted sights that i purchased...all this for just returning the rifle to them to allow them to "make it rite".

ill be the first to relay the name of this honerable company to you and heartilly recomend them to anyone who wants a statement of modest perfection in action on an everyday basis.

SHILOH RIFLE COMPANY !!!!! a proud montana manufacturing company.

Longwood
    I have sent three different guns back to three different manufacturers.
    Each time, I was extremely pleased with what was returned to me, and never was charged a dime.
    I even got a free trigger job a high polish finish and super dark blue job from Dan Wesson and all that was wrong with the gun was the nut on the barrel had stripped its threads. I thought it was odd that they needed the gun back for a barrel nut but was sure glad I sent it back.
    When my Thompson Contender popped open (yeah max loads) they gave me a brand new frame. They gave two frames to a shooting friend.
    I think the guys that work in the returns dept know a lot more about how the guns should work and when they see that a owner is expecting a bit higher quality than many people would, they are happy to give it to them.
    Send them back if you have problems with guns,, you will more likely than not be very glad you did.

What I liked (sarcasm on) is all of the backhanded shots at Pedersoli and the heavy handed promotion of Shiloh. Accuracy wise, I seriously doubt if the average or even much better than average Joe could shoot a Shiloh better than a Pedersoli. Really, it's pure hubris to claim otherwise. Is the Shiloh a better finished gun? No argument there and it had better be too considering the custom nature of Shilohs. The guy posted a problem with a very atypical Pedersoli and along with some helpful speculation he gets mocked for buying a non-Shiloh. Some people just can't help being nasty.

R Talley
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Boolit Mold
    i think the pedersoli gun is a fine gun, and i think it is just as good as it can get as far as it's ability to shoot long range accurately,and i intend to shoot it as soon as it is shootable,this bird is one in a million, the only thing wrong is that it got out of the factory and into my hands,, slim odds,but it could happen to anyone from any mfg'r. the human condition allows us all to miss,so the flip side is that it allows us to get it right,, and i'm sure it will be made right,it's my broken plans that bothered me more than the gun,i was fixed to do some 1000 and 1200 yard shooting in death valley,and now ,that's on hold.....i'll keep you posted... mike

Boolit Master
    I'll just stick with Shiloh, and CPA. The past few years I have just gotten actions from custom builders and had my gunsmith here build single shot rifles for me.

Too many people had a look at this rifle, starting with the gentleman who had to proof fire it before it left the factory to suit me.

Rich
    Sua Sponte

Betcha a new line is added to the Quality Protocals in northern Italy

Boolit Grand Master

That rifle would probably fit me very well being left handed. Don't know about the sights though.
    In 1974 I bought a CVA Kentucky rifle kit. After finishing it and trying to sight it in I finally called the company about a problem similar to the OP. I had to drive the sights to the opposite sides and still couldn't hit the target at 50 yards.
    The problem was the barrel was drilled thru the blank crooked. CVA test fired a barrel and sent it to me. Was very accurate and I was happy.

Boolit Mold
    wel ,the secratary at pedersoli told me she' sending the photo to lee shaver for evaluation, we'll see what that means,being run around here.. mike cregan

Quote Originally Posted by omgb View Post
    What I liked (sarcasm on) is all of the backhanded shots at Pedersoli and the heavy handed promotion of Shiloh. Accuracy wise, I seriously doubt if the average or even much better than average Joe could shoot a Shiloh better than a Pedersoli. Really, it's pure hubris to claim otherwise. Is the Shiloh a better finished gun? No argument there and it had better be too considering the custom nature of Shilohs. The guy posted a problem with a very atypical Pedersoli and along with some helpful speculation he gets mocked for buying a non-Shiloh. Some people just can't help being nasty.

R Talley

i debated on the reply to this post and will observe some protocall and wisdom with my reply...

if you were refering to my posting as being "backhanded" or to be "heavyhanded" then i resent the heck outta your sour reply to my inocent posting about my experience with a company that stood behind their product like i doubt many others would have! my intention was and is to do two things with my post...1- to encourage the op to pursue his absolutly correct intention in bringing it to the builders attention in a fasion that is absolute in its authentication ... and 2- to re-asure the op as to the capability of ANY company to make mistakes!

if on the other hand you were somehow refering to someone elses posting then i opoligize for getting my nose in a roar! it seemd like your posting was directed to me and as i ALSO own...[and proudly too]...a fine uberti longrange sharps '74'. that rifle is chambered in a 45 x 2.1 inch [45-70] round. it shoots and functions as well as my 120 does so i feel qualified in my statement to stand as is and for the reasons stated.

im looking forward to hearing the natural outcome of this comedy of errors from so many in the lineup of folks that should have cought this giant screw up.

ill stand down off my sheet of paper now and try to keep my dander from fluffing again!.............

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Ted I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other.
    This is 5 days in now and the best the owner has got was a "we want to see the picture" from a secratary?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by iron mike View Post
    wel ,the secratary at pedersoli told me she' sending the photo to lee shaver for evaluation, we'll see what that means,being run around here.. mike cregan
    Shaver has already had this gun in his hands, right?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

There is one clear consumer advantage that outfits like Shiloh offer, they are domestic
    and therefore fairly easy to do warranty business with. I have a couple of Berettas and an AYA shotgun. Getting warranty work done on any of these is a nightmare. I also have some Rugers. Warranty work on these is super simple...no questions asked and super fast service. Still, there's always some Adam Henry who can't resist telling me how my Rugers are inferior clunkers compared to his Blazer, Lujic, Perazzi, whatever. The Germans have a word to describe this kind of put down. They call it "shadenfreude". It means it's not enough that you should succeed, unless your friends also fail.

Shiloh makes a great gun...they are works of art and the price reflects this. For many guys though, a Shiloh represents a couple months salary and is just too expensive to contemplate. That's where Pedersoli comes in. Their mass produced guns are affordable to the average family man. Still, they are highly accurate and very well made. They are not "second best" but rather an affordable alternative to a custom or similar custom gun. No man who owns one should ever be made to feel bad for doing so.

To tell a guy that he shouldn't have gone the cheaper rout is mean minded. I stand by that little bit of social etiquette. I wish we all did. I may think my wife is prettier than yours but I'll be danged if I ever say so outloud. You love her, that's enough for me.
    Last edited by omgb; 07-21-2012 at 01:40 PM.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast