Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee C452-300-RF

you might try enforcer from ram shot I also have had good luck with alliant 300-mp

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by evil5826 View Post
    Yep found that out twice last sunday. Thought the primers were bad. Still could be but.... Thank god the bullet didn't get stuck in the barrel. Just didn't fire. Is there another powder i could use that works well with the small rifle primer and a 300-360gn bullet? Maybe Winchester 296?
    H110 and 296 are the same powder.
    Increase the load and the problem should go away.
    The small primer will work well with other powders.
    The small primer can have a lot of pressure but can lack enough sustained fire to light 296 or H110.
    I cut down .460 brass to .454 and used a LP mag primer and it solved everything. I still found a heavier load more accurate and accuracy across the board did get much better.
    I have one picture from a Freedom. The left target is jacketed with a SR mag primer and the right is with cast and .460 brass at 50 yards. The boolit is a PB from a mold I made for the Colt. Max load of 296.
    Last edited by 44man; 09-13-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Banned

Primers are always a big debate but you need to know how important they are. For instance I use only a LP standard in the .44 mag and .45 Colt with 296.
    As case size goes up I switch to a LP mag for better accuracy. A standard LP primer will fire a .454, .475 and the .500's but accuracy is better with a mag primer in the large cases when using 296 or H110.
    The SR primer in the .454 kicks my butt!
    Some tout stuff and get away with it but my concern is it ONLY TAKES ONCE! I am very comfortable with my warning. It is not taken in haste.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    H110 and 296 are the same powder.
    Increase the load and the problem should go away.
    The small primer will work well with other powders.
    The small primer can have a lot of pressure but can lack enough sustained fire to light 296 or H110.
    I cut down .460 brass to .454 and used a LP mag primer and it solved everything. I still found a heavier load more accurate and accuracy across the board did get much better.
    I have one picture from a Freedom. The left target is jacketed with a SR mag primer and the right is with cast and .460 brass at 50 yards. The boolit is a PB from a mold I made for the Colt. Max load of 296.
    Hodgdon says max load for a 300grn Jacketed is 30grns. I used 30grns on a 316grn WW cast and experienced a no fire 3 times. So something is up.

Boolit Master

I really suggest a magnum primer for H110.

I never thought about cutting 460 down to 454 lengths for the purposes of using a LP or LR primer, but that makes alot of sense too. Though at $4.50 per hundred at your local gun shop, it's cheaper to try SRM than it is to cut down 460 brass!

PERSONALLY, I also use mag primers for AA#9, but I use AA#9 for "reduced" loads where case fill approaches and passes below 70% which I'd never do for H110. Mag primers REALLY help here (and that has been tested and verified!). I suppose if I were maxing out AA#9, I'd be more confident to try standard primers. In fact, I think I have, for >70% case fill rates.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12