Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti seize

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

Anti seize

Anti seize

What do put on your nipple or flash hole screw?

Teflon tape.

Something from the auto parts store

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Buddy

I use bore butter on the threads, haven't had a problem yet.

I've used T/C 1000+ Bore Butter, without much of a problem, and I've used auto and aviation high temp anti-seize with pretty good results. However, the best I've ever tried by FAR, and what I use exclusively now, is a drop of Ballistol on the threads. It works wonderfully!

Boolit Master

I think pretty much anything will work. I've never tried teflon tape though?? T/C sells or sold an anti-seize in a small tube. I never bought any until I found a "red tag" sale at a Wallyworld where they had 10 cent tags on them- bought a couple of tubes and have been using that. However, it appears to be nothing more than a mineral oil with teflon suspension- similar to the teflon impregnated motor oil additive you can buy at any auto parts. The best at doing the anti-seize thing is probably a dedicated thick anti-seize material that has the microscopic metal particles in it. It is truly an anti-seize and will work on anything from inline breech plugs to nipples to machine parts. BUT it is messy.

If the nipple seat and nipple are cleaned and oiled regularly and fit together correctly then no problems. If the nipple is left in too long, not cleaned regularly and the seat gets rusted and corroded... that's where the problems can start. Any rust or corrosion of the seat means metal loss. Replacing a nipple is no big deal. Having to replace the drum or bolster or re-tapping to larger size is not so good.

DCP, I use white lithium grease (in a tub) for the nipple, lock bolts, and clean out plug on my Lyman GPR. Ditto for lock bolts on my flintlocks, and the breech plug in my Knight Bighorn. For the latter, I've also used a 2 wraps of thin teflon tape + white lithium grease. Never had a problem with it on any of these items.

Boolit Bub

I think just about anything with lubricateing qualitys will work. The key is regular cleaning

Boolit Master
    Anti seize, can't be beat, but just a tiny bit.

Fly

Boolit Master
    i use Permatex anti-seize, i bought a big bottle of it when i was building engines.

Boolit Master

I don't use anything other than a slight drop of Balistol or other light oil in a very small amount. I also lightly snug the nipple or vent liner, and clean out screw. I want it snug enough that gas does not seep around the threads and wear on them, but not so tight it strains them.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Good point not to strain the screws, I keep teflon tape in the shooting boxes, in heavy boolit guns it works well. With the shotguns I use mainly a wax based grease for lubing berings ment to be used in grease guns.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Quote Originally Posted by 405 View Post
    The best at doing the anti-seize thing is probably a dedicated thick anti-seize material that has the microscopic metal particles in it. It is truly an anti-seize and will work on anything from inline breech plugs to nipples to machine parts.
    That's what I thought too, until I tried it. The copper coat type of anti-seize is the absolute worst on percussion nipples. It works, but just barely. Almost anything is better. Ballistol is the best I've ever tried.

Take care, Tom

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    That's what I thought too, until I tried it. The copper coat type of anti-seize is the absolute worst on percussion nipples. It works, but just barely. Almost anything is better. Ballistol is the best I've ever tried.

Take care, Tom
    I wouldn't have any idea about the copper-based anti seize. The anti seize that worked best by a wide margin when I delved into the darkest side of inlines was the silver colored anti seize. I imagine it is aluminum based. It worked equally well for nipples but I think it is over-kill and it is messy. I've recently been using the T/C 7, teflon based, anti seize only because it was 10 cents a tube and the little applicator tip is just right for applying a dab to the nipple threads. For years prior to trying any of the so called "anti seize" stuff, a tiny drop of whatever oil or grease that was handy at the time seemed to work just fine.. with the keys being clean seat and clean nipple.

Boolit Master
    I did not know the copper anti-seize did not work.I put some on my last set of nipples.
    But I have not tryed to remove them yet.The copper stuff is about all they sell now in
    hardware & auto parts stores.
    Fly

Boolit Buddy
    In target shooting at Friendship where a lot of rounds can be shot in a day the best I have found is either nickle anti seize or teflon tape on the nipple threads and clean out screws. Since I began doing this about ten to twelve years back I have not had a nipple give me any problems in getting it to come out for cleaning.

Pete

Boolit Master
    This may be why not to use the copper anti seize

Aluminum-graphite up to 2,000 degrees F.
    Copper (not recommended) up to 1,800 degrees F.
    Nickel up to 2,600 degrees F.
    Zinc up to 750 degrees F.

Fly

Boolit Master

I use the silver Permatex anti-sieze on the nipple threads, on the breech plug threads of my muzzleloaders as well as the screws and sprue plate pivot area of my molds...it works like a charm.

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

I use the silver anti-seize sold in the auto parts stores in small packets.
    :“Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.”
    ― Albert Einstein

Boolit Master
    I just use either knight or t/c breach plug lube. I have been using it for years, never had an issue. I've got most of the small tube of knight stuff left from 04 when I bought my wolverine.

In Remembrance

Removeable shotgun choke tube lubricant is basically an Anti-Seize type product that works as well in BP nipple use of a lubricant.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I use a synthetic brake pin grease which contains graphite, teflon, and molybdenum disulfide. It works great as an anti-seize, and I also use it to lube my Garand, 1911, and bolt guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast