Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Ideal reloader ID

Boolit Bub

Ideal reloader ID

I just bought a box of reloading items from an estate and one of the things in it is a reloader by Ideal MFG. Maybe someone can tell me about it and if it has any value.

On one side of the handle is stamped:
    IDEAL MFG. CO
    NEW HAVEN CONN. USA
    38 L.I.L.

The other side has stamped:
    PAT FEB 11,1884
    PAT DEC 29.1884

On the die that is in it is stamped:
    38 L.I.L.
    40-70
    Last edited by bdbullets; 07-13-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: ADD PICTURE

Boolit Master

Ideal reloader

bd, are you talking about a tong tool? If you are , of course it is worth money. Many people collect old reloading tools. Pictures would help.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you might have an Ideal Number 8 reloading tool for the .38 Long Inside Lubricated cartridge. Past the hinge, it should have a nose pour boolit mould with a hollow base forming attachment at the bottom. The stake that pushes the boolit through the sizing hole on the other handle should be pointed.

If it doesn't have the mould attached, then it could be a Number 3 tool in the same caliber. This would be more likely to have a separate die rather than one cast as a part of the handle, which was the case with the Number 8. A Number 3 with an adjustable die would be very unusual for a .38 LIL though, because there were not a lot of different boolits available to load the cartridge, nor a lot of scope to seat the boolit in or out. Interesting that the same seating/crimping die (or neck sizing die, whichever it is) would also be usable for a .40-70.

A picture of this tool would clear up a lot of mysteries.

Boolit Master and Generous Donator
    Dave:

They did come in the No. 3 with S/A die; Albert has one on his website. His photo shows what looks like a "40" as the die code, which is the correct one for the .38 Long Colt in the inside-lubed version. I don't know about the " - 70", though.

bdbullets:

I'd be interested in it: if you want to part with it send me a PM.

floodgate

ADDED 7/16: The " - 70" is on the seating screw, and refers to Ideal bullet No. 35870, a 150-gr. RN FP with a deep hollow base. This allows - when loaded in the earlier Colts with the full case diameter (0.376" groove diameter) barrels - the bullet to expand up to fill the rifling, while still working normally with the later 0.355" - 0.358" barrels introduced in the 1890s. The adjustable seating plug allows other .38 bullets to be used as well - a fairly versatile tool. FG.
    Last edited by floodgate; 07-16-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: New info
    NOV SHMOZ KA POP?

I like these old tool. I just finished loading 100 rounds of 38 Special ammo with an old Ideal No. 3 made somewhere between 1925 and 1941. It a fellow is not in a hurry, it is nice to get close and personal with the ammo he loads with one of these old tools.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.