RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: PMC 7.62 x 39 primer pockets..........

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!

PMC 7.62 x 39 primer pockets..........

I used mostly Winchester or Lapua 7.62 x 39 brass when reloading for my sks's. Tonight I had about 30 PMC cases picked up from somewhere and the primer pockets are evidently crimped...quite a surprise for "civilian" ammo! After reaming and bevelling, not once but several times, I was able to get a CCI large rifle primer in with considerable effort. Not a lot of fun and time consuming examining each case to make sure the primers were deep enough.

Has anyone else run into this with PMC brass or was it just my lucky day?

Boolit Master
    yes
    there too tight
    set them aside and ream the pockets out all at once and there good to go

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Thanks...........the odd thing was that even after reaming/bevelling they were STILL tight. Maybe that's what PMC stands for......."Pockets Made Crimped". I think after these get fired I'll try my RCBS swager and see if that helps.

They were a bugger!

Boolit Master
    I use the RCBS large swager to remove them,just like doing 308 military brass.

I believe that PMC is Pan Metal Company. I don't believe that they actually make any of their own ammo, but rather just brand label stuff that they buy from various sources. I don't have any of their ammo in front of me now to look at, but I remember seeing made in Nevada & made in Italy on some of their boxes. It varies all over the place. Crimped ammo from them may mean that they are buying from a military contractor now. Perhaps they bought an overrun lot or something like that.

PMC went Chapter 11 several years ago & then somehow came out of it. I don't know if the original management reorganized or if someone from the outside bought them out & started them back up. What they are doing now may be different from what they did in the past.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

I bought a ton of that stuff in the middle 80s. If I remember right it was from Korea.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    Crimped primers are more reliable in a milspec (plenty of slack) autoloader, as the vast majority of 7.62X39 chambered rifles are.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 07-22-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Super Moderator

..............PMC makes sporting ammo without crimped pockets. They also sell military type ammo (generally FMJ) what WILL have crimped pockets. I typed 'PMC makes' in the first sentance but it could simply be that PMC 'sources' ammo from various makers, just like Hansens did back in the 90's. I have PMC headstamped 6.5x55 with crimped pockets which came loaded with a 142gr FMJ, and the same with uncrimped pockets which featured a SPBT (I forget the weight now).

Ditto 30-06. I recall that during the first large re-importation of M1 Garands from Korea I'd go to the range and find PMC 30-'06 in piles around the benches. Same as the Swede brass. Military FMJ = crimped, sporting type = uncrimped.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance