Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading

Thread: bullets sticking in mold

Boolit Bub

bullets sticking in mold

What is causing my bullets to stick in the mold? Am using a lyman steel mold casting wheel weights. Have tried smoking the mold, raising and lowering casting temp, opening the mold quickley after pouring and waiting a little while after pouring. The end result is I have to tap the hinge pin several times to get the bullits to drop. Any ideas? Thanks Wayne H.

Boolit Master

Out of all the moulds that I have 3-4 of the have a sticking problem,and nothing seems to work except the taping of the hinge pin.

You could try this;
    take one of your cast boolits drill a hole in the base, and use a brass screw with the head removed, apply a little (very little) light abrasive, tooth paste will work, spin the boolit in the mould with a hand drill, ten to fifteen turns should be enough.

Clean mould with dish soap and tooth brush and give it a try.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub

bullets sticking in mold

I will give this a try. Thanks. Wayne h

Wayne,

I have the same problem so much that I gave up on that steel mold fearing that I'd break the handles I was hitting them so hard and often. I'm currently using an aluminum mold. Please post your results.

Thank you and regards,
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Man
    Wayne,
    When my RCBS mould is to hot , I have tesame problem . Wat I do is, I take an another mould
    After 10 minutes , the RCBS is cool , so I change many times during a pouring session.
    The LEE mould works good, but , an alu mould is softer.I cast 180 and 200 grs bullits.

Boolit Master
    If a mold doesn't have enough draft, the part being cast will stick. It's typically the shape of the lube groove that is the culprit, though swc's are also a less than ideal shape in terms of dropping from the cavity freely. Some of my molds just need a good whap to the handle hing to dislodge the bullets. Polishing the mold cavities might help, but asside from adding some draft to the lube grooves and rounding the bases, to a degree it's something you have to live with.

Boolit Bub
    Paul H. I find the mold sticks less often when I do not use the ladel to mold and tip the mold method. When I pour with the mold held horizontal the sticking is less often, but I find I do not get as good of fill-out on the lube grooves, the edges seem to be rounded vs. square. By the way what part of Alaska are you in, I am in Anchorage. Wayne h

In Remebrance

Guys, go to the stickies on "LEEMENTING". All it takes is a tiny burr or a number of other things to cause this in any mould or any make of any material. Here, I'll even give you a link to start with- http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...read.php?t=654

And here's the PDF with pictures frm Castpics- http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Mol...umentation.pdf

Boolit Grand Master

Bret has the answer - as usual.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.