RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 250-310 grain roundflat .454 dia ?

Boolit Master

NW Ohio, almost as N and W as you can be :-)
    http://www.linebaughcustom.com/Default.aspx?tabid=112

Well I think 1200 is sedate if you consider the ctg./bullet combo will safely do 1300+. I was fishing a bit with that line hehe.

1200 with a 250 is for sure sedate when the ctg. will safely push it to 1491 fps.

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by grumble
    "...your normal H&I die that needs to be altered on the top of the H die and a wad punch of the correct diameter..."

Pardon my being so dense. How is the H die modified? Does the check crimp to the base of a boolit, or does it just stick on?
    It is swaged on while sizing the bullet. The top of the die has a recess lathed into it to hold the aluminum disc, an alignment disc is put on the top retaining nut and the bullet is paced thru the alignment hole, then the bullet is sized swaging the aluminum disc onto the bullet. More to it than that, but you should get the idea.

Bill, I see you haven't done it yet.

"Soft Gas checks"

"Freechecs solve both problems at almost no cost."

Are these the checks that are stamped from Al cans? Been a long time since I looked into it, but as I recall, the stamp sets were pretty expensive and very time consuming to use. Is there another method I haven't heard about?
    Grumble, have you looked into 'soft gas checks'? this is a little disc or wad of soft wax I think it is. Scopes and other things come wrapped in it for cushioning purposes. Looks like a sheet of thin, nearly translucent foam rubber. "Meat" trays from the supermarket are the same stuff, and you can buy it in sheets from MCMillan-Carr. Anyway, I have read that a thin disc of that under a plain base bullet serves some of the same functions as a gas check, one nice benefit is it leaves a pretty clean barrel. There are numerous sources of the material and it's easy enough to try...

None
    Ok, many thanks.

None
    "...have you looked into 'soft gas checks'?..."

Yep, I've played with them some. I've also made wax wads by soaking a paper towel in melted boolit lube. Both help some with sealing the boolit-barrel junction, but not as good as a gas check. The wax wads did real well in my Marlin 45-70, though.

Boolit Master
    What about the RCBS 45-270 SAA? I have a double cavity of this and the bullets are really nice. I would like a six cavity of that one for sure! I guess the nose isn't radiused enough for some but I have the Lee 452-300 RNGC in a 6 cavity and love it, too. I load it to an easy 1150 fps with WC820 in my Blackhawk.

Banner Sponsor

What's the 45-270 SAA look like?

I would really like something in the 270gn range and plain base with an 80% nose similar to the first drawing.

We should look at the nose length to make sure it will feed through a 45 or 454 lever gun.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I purchased 500 cases of 45 colt from Top Hat Brass. I will let the board know of the value of these cases for pressure capacity in sloppy chambers. I don't want to destroy my collection of WRA cases especially shooting these magnum boolits. I have some 300 grainer LBT's that sure do tear up cases in the lever gun. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master

here are some pics of the rcbs LAR

Both ends WHAT a player

Banned
    Felix

I have shot some basically Casual loader in my Winchester Mod 94 Trapper 45LC with a 260 gr cast bullet with some massive loads of 4227 with both Winchester and Starline brass and it didn't tear them up. Tore my shoulder up though. Anyways it's claimed that the Winchester has a really fat chamber. The chamber isn't as tight as say my Ruger Blackhawk or Smith 25 but it's not that bad either. I don't shoot those loads anymore and I'm not posting them here because they were really really hot.

Joe

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Well, Joe, my loads are what would be considered normal in all respects. I won't ever shoot loads that I cannot publish on this board, and I personally don't want to see any authored by anyone else either. Thanks for NOT showing your loads. It's just that my new (a couple of years old) winnie 94 AE has a chamber which will allow 458 boolits in the fired brass. However, the gun shoots 185-200 grainers very well with that 451 groove, 26 twist, when the loads are "target" acp normal. ... felix
    felix

Banned
    Felix

I had mine for a good number of years, the pre-safety model if you will. I shoot the RCBS 255 gr SWC out of it, but it weights out at about 260 grs when cast of WW's or tad softer. It does shoot very good. I hae a set of receiver sights on it and for awhile I shot quite a few groundhops up in PA with it. I size them to .452. Most the work I do with now is that RCBS bullet over 9 grs of Unique.

No need to thank me for not posting that load, I won't post anything that's not in the books.

Joe

Boolit Master

Actually that RCBS boolit is awful flippin sweet I say

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Starmetal----Those groundhogs you shot up in Pa. What do you do with them after you size them to .452?

Boolit Master

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt45lc.htm

more 45 colt reading material, Sam Colt and even Elmer Keith would respect a 340 grain bullet at 1200fps

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

"Freechecs solve both problems at almost no cost."

Are these the checks that are stamped from Al cans? Been a long time since I looked into it, but as I recall, the stamp sets were pretty expensive and very time consuming to use. Is there another method I haven't heard about?
    http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=7829

Quote Originally Posted by carpetman
    Starmetal----Those groundhogs you shot up in Pa. What do you do with them after you size them to .452?
    Need more meat for jerky, Ray? Cats getting scarce in your neck of the woods? Ever thought of sheep jerky, or too much emotional baggage there?

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    So, is this going anywhere? Like toward a group buy.

Boolit Master

My vote is for the 270 grain RCBS bullet plain based 4545 as cast in WW

Bill
    Both ends WHAT a player

Boolit Master
    Ditto that! A six banger 45-270-SAA would be the cat's meow. I'd be in for that.
    Doc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast