Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 25-20 revolver

Boolit Mold

25-20 revolver

I recently acquired a Bowen conversion of an OMBH to 25-20. Bought it used and no idea why someone would pay to have the conversion done and then get rid of it...but now it is mine.
    Have been trying several different powders with an 85 gr. cast bullet from Badman Bullets. Biggest problem (and I knew this was possible with the bottleneck case) is cases setting back after firing and preventing the cylinder from turning. Tried some fast powders like Green Dot and Unique, then 2400 and now H-110. 8 grs. of H-110 works pretty well with minimal case set back and easy extraction. Might up a few tenths to see if works better. Have been concentrating on easy cylinder rotation rather than accuracy at this point, but want to keep trying.
    So, any other ideas out there? Powders? Bullets?

Boolit Buddy
    Setback. Now you know why they got rid of the revolver. You hear it all the time... bottlenecked cases and revolvers = setback. That's not the whole truth. The problem is bottlenecked cases and revolvers with the traditional pin on hammer. Your solution is to get it converted to the new model blackhawk style transfer bar safety. Notice how all the new revolvers in bottlenecked cartridges don't have the setback problem? Other possible solution is to get the firing pin hole bushed to a smaller size.

Boolit Grand Master
    Oh boy. There are a great many bullets to try. Those commonly available are the Lyman 257420 GC, and the RCBS 85 Cowboy plainbase. Don't lube all the grooves on the RCBS bullet as it will then be overlubricated.

RCBS.....try 3 to 3.3 grains W231 for a nice mild load.

5.5 to 6.3 grains 2400 with the same bullet for about 200 to 300 fps more speed. 4227 and 4759 will work as well in larger charges.

If seeking the ultimate speed potential of the revolver you may be advised to go to the gascheck Lyman. Powders as slow as the 4198's may be used but I believe I'd try 2400 and 4227 to start.

Great small game cartridge. I'd guess its upper limits to be coyote from a revolver.

Have you been degreasing the chambers thoroughly before firing? I'm wondering if that might help any.

Boolit Master
    you have to clean the chambers with a degreaser. that was the problem with the .22 jet in the s&w. even a hint of oil and it will lockup. i don't think you have to do anything with the firing pin.

In Remebrance

As Bob said, get the chambers and brass completely free of any lube of any kind. I have heard of people, back in the day of the Jet, lightly dusting their cases with powdered rosin or even Bon Ami to aid in the case gripping the chamber walls.

One other thing you've likely found out already. WEAR HEARING PROTECTION! THOSE GUNS ARE LOUD!!! WHAT? I SAID THEY'RE REALLY LOUD!!!!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies. I have been cleaning the chambers and wiping the loaded cases off with alcohol. So the quest is for the right load combo to expand the case quick enough not to set back. As said, H-110 seems to work better than others so far, but will keep trying!

I'm A Honcho!
    Use a CCI primer. Cups are harder.

Boolit Master
    I just delube everything , neck size my jet , pound them witha board , and if all eles fails put LESS powder in .

You are discovering why Colt only went to the prototype stage with the 25-20 and 256 winchester in a revolver.

Boolit Master

Just curious if the set back problem occurs in 32-30 revolvers. If it does - it must not be as severe. There are so many of them out there - especially colts.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    never heard of it a .32-20 infact i have never had a problem with my colt pp spl. but i did read of it cropping p in the colt saa in .44-40. but that came from the fiting pin hole being too large. the primers would flow back and lock it up.

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by square butte View Post
    Just curious if the set back problem occurs in 32-30 revolvers. If it does - it must not be as severe. There are so many of them out there - especially colts.
    Never heard of it or had it happen in 32-20. 38-40 would be another possibility, 44-40 too. I think the shoulder angle/length would determine when the problem is more likely to start.

Boolit Master
    the factory loaded a 60 grain hollow point years ago. I would try the lighter bullet. might be more noise with it. I shot a k hornet years ago. converted super blackhawk. told the guy I didn't need the hearing protection. I can still remember that shot. ears hummed afterwards. I don't know the amount of resizing your sizing die does but if you could size to where it would enter the chamber snugly, or neck size, it might help. I would try different primers to see if it made a difference. are the primers setting back or the whole case? primers backing out would indicate headspace

Boolit Mold
    I have other revolvers in 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 and no setback issues with those calibers. I plan to try a 60 grain bullet and also other powders. As said 8 grs. of H-110 has no setback issues.

Boolit Grand Master
    While alcohol might be sorta okay, if you really want to get those chambers dry, go to carb cleaner, and one of the more residue free varieties like GUMOUT is better. This makes them so dry that for periods of time where the gun isn't shot will be lengthy, you'll need to relube the chambers for corrosion protection.

If carb cleaner can't completely degrease a chamber, nothing can.

The shoulder on the 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 is very slight compaired to 25-20 so they work. The 22 jet was discontinued for the same reason.