WidenersRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must see!!! S&W 500 Project

Boolit Bub

S&W 500 Project!!! Please have a look.

delete
    Last edited by SoCalLove; 07-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Boolit Master
    Do you use a standard handgun two hand hold? Or is there a plan for another hand hold? Any legal issues?
    Looks pretty cool.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Bub
    Scroll down, you will see a desert eagle with a foregrip frame.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showth...a-Desert-Eagle
    Last edited by SoCalLove; 07-11-2012 at 01:19 AM.

Boolit Master

California - in the land of taxes and no representation.

Cylinder gap?

I would be concerned with the gas escaping between the cylinder and the forcing cone. I have heard (warning Internet rumor) of the gas cutting fingers. I would hate to get my forearm to be cut from the hot gases by grasping some form of a stock in front of the cylinder. Or worse having some gas or debris from the gap to be blown in my face. But, I must say, that I like the overall concept. It sure beats having a single shot handi rifle in 500 S&W Mag.

Boolit Master
    Think they saw it?

doesn't Taurus make a revolving carbine? same gas cutting principle applies

anyone have experience?
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by scarry scarney View Post
    I would be concerned with the gas escaping between the cylinder and the forcing cone. I have heard (warning Internet rumor) of the gas cutting fingers. I would hate to get my forearm to be cut from the hot gases by grasping some form of a stock in front of the cylinder. Or worse having some gas or debris from the gap to be blown in my face. But, I must say, that I like the overall concept. It sure beats having a single shot handi rifle in 500 S&W Mag.
    Hot gasses will NOT cut off your fingers. The interwebs at it's best.

You might burn your finger though...

I still hear people bragging about cow tipping. It's a physical impossibility. I won't call them on the lie, I just nod my head.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

A few years ago an IHMSA shooter severely maimed his left hand holding a Dan Wesson 357 Maximum while he cocked it with his right. I don't know if he lost one of the fingers, but the hand was permanently damaged. Of course this was much higher than normal revolver pressure, and his hand was against the barrel-cylinder gap. It can happen.

Boolit Buddy
    Nope, cant happen. Impossible. No documented cases. Just internet rumor.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=32011

Boolit Buddy
    If you REALLY want to be scientific about it, go to the butchers and buy some pigs feet.

Hold it to the side of your cylinder gap, and fire off a round.

A pigs flesh is closest to human when it comes to firearms damage. Post some pics, and people can link to your results every time it's brought up in an internet forum.
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    If you REALLY want to be scientific about it, go to the butchers and buy some pigs feet.

Hold it to the side of your cylinder gap, and fire off a round.

A pigs flesh is closest to human when it comes to firearms damage. Post some pics, and people can link to your results every time it's brought up in an internet forum.
    The MythBusters already did that, only with similar size bones and connective tissue from chickens.

Their conclusion was that, yes... a 500 Smith will cut/damage a wayward forward hand held across the cylinder gap.

Bren R.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by andremajic View Post
    I still hear people bragging about cow tipping. It's a physical impossibility. I won't call them on the lie, I just nod my head.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ectgHjUcV8

My son in law got a real nasty abrasion doing something like that, I've been burned. I can't believe that following right after someone saying that it did happen there's someone so smug as to say "nope, can't happen, impossible" I suggest you get an X-frame, wrap your hand around the cylinder gap, touch one off, and let us know what happens.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Even if gas were not an issue, if cylinder timing is out lead/jacket can shear and send nasty bits out of the gap. Been there done that (hit by bits from someone else's gun). I will keep body parts away from cylinder gaps.

Longbow

Boolit Mold
    Impossible? No, it is very possible. The cylinder gap spits out lead fragments, unburned powder, and in the case of the 500 S&W, over 60,000 PSI of pressure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFBAcz16GvU&feature=plcp This is a video with a 44 magnum 629, and even though he is using paper, I for one would not want my hand anywhere near that gap.
    "This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can." - Robert W. Copeland, Captain of USS Samuel B. Roberts.

"Play marbles with cyanide balls and juggle jugs of nitro-glycerine if you must have excitement, but never try to scare an old gunman. The results of sucess are likely to get your name sandblasted on a piece of white rock." - Elmer Keith

Boolit Grand Master

The Rossi CIRCUIT JUDGE revolving rifle has a small shield in place to protect the shooters hand while firing.
    Observe:
    http://www.rossiusa.com/product-deta...adcrumbseries=
    I don't know if I buy off on the idea of a properly aligned revolver cutting your fingers off. I can certainly see you getting some serious bruising and possibly cutting the skin, but this is all very easy to avoid by proper shooting techniques. I have experienced cylinder burn before as I fired my revolver from close to my side and then extending to finish the cylinder in a defensive training scenario. I had powder burns that went right through my shirt but I wasn't hurt.
    Why was the original photo deleted? what gives? As far as I know, you are free in this country to do whatever you want to your own firearms as long as you have no intent to sell, so I don't see what the problem is?
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master
    No not anything you want, not without paper work anyway! No full auto or short barreled rifle or sawed off shotgun. I think someone pointed that out so he pulled it and wisely so!

Aaron

Boolit Master

Any time any that doubts that the 500 wont cut your finger off is more than welcome to come shoot mine with one of my max loads, you can even wear a glove. I bet you will be going to emergency to get your finger put back on once you stop crying and find your finger.
    Even the MythBusters didnt use full house loads when they cut through the chicken bone, That was a factory round, no were near the max of 60,000 psi this gun is capable of.
    If you have the guts to call people liers have the guts to back it up, I will even drive you to the hospital.

Boolit Grand Master

Why so abrasive there 69datona? I didn't call anybody a liar. All I said was that while I concede that serious injury was definitely possible, I doubted that it could sever a mans hand clean off. That's why I brought up the fact that my 357 gave me powder burns right through my shirt. In no way was I trying to compare your awesome 500S&W to my model 19 except for the purpose of illustration. In no way was I trying to say that your 500 was smaller or less powerful in any way.
    For the life of me, I don't know why its so important that the pistol have that indisputable capability.
    The main thrust of my post was to say what had not been said about the fact that revolving carbines have a built in sheet metal blast shield to protect the wrist/forearm of the shooter.
    I do apologize for my ignorance of the law pertaining to the modification of a pistol into a rifle. I knew that is was illegal to convert a rifle into a pistol without the proper license and paperwork (which is totally obtainable by the way) but I was unaware that the same rule applies to converting a pistol to a rifle. That seems about as smart as snake mittens, but unfortunately, that is the law.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

I don't think he was aiming at you Tim.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast