MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Liquid Wrench dry lubricant in molds

Boolit Master

Liquid Wrench dry lubricant in molds

I have an RCBS 35-200 mold that I negligently left in the garage over the winter and it suffered a bit, so that it became a real chore to hammer the bullets loose. I gave it a coating of mold release and then Leemented it with comet, using the brass nut method rather than a drywall screw---highly recommended.

Anyway, I noticed when I rinsed out all of the comet that the inside of the cavity was showing that telltale orange sign before the rinse water could even dry. I grabbed the can of Liquid Wrench dry lubricant just because it was nearby and gave the blocks a a good spritz to keep them from rusting any more.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago when I finally got a chance to try out the mold. The good news is that it drops beautifully again. The interesting news is that I didn't remember that I had spritzed it with the dry lube until after I was already casting. I prewarmed the blocks on the melter and the first ones were good.

All of this makes me wonder: is the Liquid Wrench a good option for long term storage of iron molds because it doesn't need to be removed before casting? Anybody tried this stuff for long term storage in humid climates? Anybody besides me cast without removing it?
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Banned

i'll spray mine down with a penetrating oil.
    then heat them up for use and give them a shot with brake cleaner and a quick wipe with a rag.
    after a couple of uses most molds will get an oxidized layer that will help protect them.
    and the light oiling will do the rest.
    around here anyways we have pretty low humidity.

Boolit Master

If it's the one with teflon, I have also used it for spru plate lube with good results. I don't think there is any oil in it just a volitol carrier and leaves the teflon powder when dry.