Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 457-405 wanting to open her up to .459

Boolit Bub

Lee 457-405 wanting to open her up to .459

I Know I know! its been done but I am having a problem finding a post regarding just opening up a mold? I have read the sticky on lementing with AJAX/Commet ect. will that process open it up that much? I was actually thinking of using valve lapping compound since I have access to it in diferent grades. Any help you guys can offer will be appriciated and I plan on doing this tonight. I can also post up some pictures of the process if it can help others.

Thanks

-Micah
    Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.

Boolit Master
    Yes valve lapping compound is the way to go. I have done it numerous time. Being careful it does very good job. .002" is very doable. Clean and check often.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Yes valve lapping compound is the way to go. I have done it numerous time. Being careful it does very good job. .002" is very doable. Clean and check often.
    Would he not be better off using Comet cleanser that is wet? It is not as aggressive as is the valve grinding compound and might be a better choice for his first attempt. With an ferrous mold one has no choice and must use valve grinding compound.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Would he not be better off just 'Beagleing' the mold? It's reversible too
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I'd say lapping out the mold is the way to go as properly done it will improve your molds cavity by making it truly round and smooth.

Boolit Master
    I've lapped and beagled. Beagling is easy, is just as easily un-beagled, and any out-of-roundness is inconsequential.

Lapping is time consumming, unless it's a two-cavity aluminum mould, and can never be un-lapped.

Beagle first, if it works to your satisfaction, you can always lap it.

Try THIS one!
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

Have you measured the boolits with a micrometer to make sure they are only .457?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Have you measured the boolits with a micrometer to make sure they are only .457?
    Yes and it seems depending on alloy the can run almost to .458
    Liberty is not a means to a higher political end. It is itself the highest political end.

Boolit Bub
    Well the valve grinding compound seems to work rather well and imbeds itself well into the lead making almost a firelapping round if you will. I am however havinh one hell of a time getting the screw to drive straight into the Boolit

Boolit Master
    The downside of lapping is you really need a lathe to get a hole centered in the bullet to put in a screw or stud for lapping. If you're really good with a drill press you can get a hole centered within a few thousands. The key is to start the hole with a center drill, then drill to size and depth.

Boolit Bub
    Hello
    I used an 1/64 piolet followed by an 1/8 bit then ran a screw down in the hole, cut the head off with a die grinder. Then chucked it up in a drill press and let her run for a few minuets. The result is a Boolit that is now .003 over the starting .457. Its easily throwing .459-.460 sized Boolits all day long. I will tonight use the commet method to degroove and deburr the cavitys. Should throw em' nice n pretty.

you can also cast the lap through a hex nut, and use a wrench to turn it
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys they are dropping so nice as they are. I do think that this weekend I will be Ajaxing the cavities to polish em up. but I have to say these look as good as store bought.
    Ill get some good pictures and post em' up ASAP

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by MK1MICAH View Post
    I Know I know! its been done but I am having a problem finding a post regarding just opening up a mold? I have read the sticky on lementing with AJAX/Commet ect. will that process open it up that much? I was actually thinking of using valve lapping compound since I have access to it in diferent grades. Any help you guys can offer will be appriciated and I plan on doing this tonight. I can also post up some pictures of the process if it can help others.

Thanks

-Micah
    ..............AHHHHHHHHHHHK, another falls foul of the infamous tiny Lee 457 - 405F Join the crowd, as I've had 3 of'em over a bunch of years and always hoped I'd get a fat one. Never did happen. I do use one with it's "As Cast' slugs paper patched with 20# bond to get a .472" slug for use in the 577-450 Martini.

Send a PM to 9.3x62Al and simply ask him if he likes the Lee 457-405-F !! I dont recall now if it was his 3rd or 4th of that number that he took and drove quite a distance to throw as far as he could into a lake. I think it was some sort of therapy.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would like to turn my Lee .309 120 grain round nose mold into a 130-140 grain flat point. I want to keep it the current diameter, just lengthen and flat point the nose. Is this feasible?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    ..............AHHHHHHHHHHHK, another falls foul of the infamous tiny Lee 457 - 405F Join the crowd, as I've had 3 of'em over a bunch of years and always hoped I'd get a fat one. Never did happen. I do use one with it's "As Cast' slugs paper patched with 20# bond to get a .472" slug for use in the 577-450 Martini.

Send a PM to 9.3x62Al and simply ask him if he likes the Lee 457-405-F !! I dont recall now if it was his 3rd or 4th of that number that he took and drove quite a distance to throw as far as he could into a lake. I think it was some sort of therapy.

..............Buckshot
    Hello
    Mine is good to go now and casting some beautys. Im good to go Ill buy another Lee and do the same any day. But what works for me may not work for most as I have one Hell of a shop at my disposial and have enought attention to detail to drive me crazy.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I would like to turn my Lee .309 120 grain round nose mold into a 130-140 grain flat point. I want to keep it the current diameter, just lengthen and flat point the nose. Is this feasible?
    Yes and sounds like it will be worth it to you.