RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: getting closer to testing some CB in A3

Boolit Master

getting closer to testing some CB in A3

I finally found some powder locally to try some test loads. I found 1 lb of Unique to try in my 1903a3 30 06. 2400 seems to be a mystical powder in my local area.

Question is I plan on useing lee TL311 165 FN. Projectile. With unique powder. I have the lyman 4th addition and it does not have 165 gr listed.
    starting load for 160 gr projectile with unique is 18gr. Starting load for 170 gr projectile with unique is 12gr.

My thinking is 165 gr projectile should be safe with 15gr starting load and possibly 20 gr for Max.

Again I seem to be stuck in the middle again.

Boolit Grand Master

You may want to start just a little bit lower, say 12gr or 13grs. You can also work up but I use 12 or 13gr most of the time when I use Unique in my 1903s. Works good in the Swiss k-31 also.
    If Unique does not work out (it should) try IMR SR4759. About 18 or 19grs. Good to at least 200 yards.
    The 1903 and a3s shoot excellent with usually very little effort.

Boolit Master
    I'm in agreement with Leadman's Unique advise, as the lower charges have worked extremely well in my '03-A3.

I've found 2400 to be about as versitile as Unique -- get some when you can.

Boolit Buddy
    Try seating an unsized boolit in a primerless neck sized, and prepped, case to see if it seats in your chamber without excess bolt pressure. Find out what size boolit your chamber will take when you can engage the rifling without undue pressure on the bolt handle. May have to borrow some unsized ones from someone to get a correct fit. If too tight , mike boolit and size down one thousandth at a time. Seat boolit out as far as you can get away with for target shooting, but hold OAL to recommended length for hunting so's it fits in the magazine. Make sure brass you use is recorded so you will use that type with whatever size boolit you find fits best. Takes some experimenting.

My 1943 O3-A3 takes a .3105 boolit in a standard Remington case, seated out to engage the rifling. Yes, even the same brand cases will vary, but you will be close. Military necks are usually thicker though. I load a 200 gr. Lyman 314299 (.3105) ahead of 20 gr. of 4227 for my most accurate load, so far. CCI LR primers. You will have to run the back sight up to 400 yds. or so to be on at 100, at least I did. Good luck.

Perma-Banned

I've been playing with light loads of Unique in my 03A3. Here's a target I shot with 10 rounds from 25 yards, at a bench but with only the sling for support.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...6a5118d0ec.jpg
    I've gone as low as 11.2gr of Unique with this type of boolit, nice light plinking load.

Here's what the loaded rounds and boolits look like.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imag...273be2a8fa.jpg

OB
    Last edited by OBIII; 07-19-2012 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Add boolit picture

[FONT=times new roman][SIZE=3]Je suis Charlie

Safeguard our way of life...Defend the Constitution against ALL Enemies, Foreign and Domestic!!!

Boolit Grand Master

I always recommend starting at 10 gr Unique in the milsurp bottleneck cartridges of the
    late 19th and early 20th century - like the .30-'06. Then work up to whatever turns your
    crank, like 15 or so.

Do try to find some 2400, it is really superb around the 16 gr mark with the same range
    of bottlenecked milsurp cartridges with boolits. Lots of recommendations for 13 gr of
    Red Dot, too - so far I have not had time to try that one of the "big three" of the
    'known good' cast boolit loads for the milsurp cartridges.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Ok so do you guys shoot these reduced loads @ 100 yards? If so where can I expect my elevation to be
    I have 10 rounds of each size boolit 309 310 311s. Gas checked loaded with 12 grains unique. My plan. Was to load them all the same. Shoot them at 50 yards from a rest and decide on which was best for accuracy. Then buy the peoper size mold and sizer to cast my own.

I'm not looking for much more than minute of black score ring on SR1 target. Just want a fun light homebrew round that shoots ok. I been shooting Greek hxp through my A3 it shoots very well when I can.
    Last edited by mac1911; 07-21-2012 at 11:09 AM.

With the issue sights and very light loads such as what have been discussed here, expect to use 750 or 800 yards elevation on the rear sight to center your group at 100 yards with a 6:00 hold. You can shorten the front sight and use less elevation on the rear sight. The advantage to that is finer adjustments on the "little" end of the sight. This one had a little bit of a nub for the front sight, so it would zero at 200 yards:

More typical, with an "A" front sight:

Resp'y,
    Bob S.
    USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

It's REAL ... it's wood and steel!

My standard advice is to use a powder charge that is still safe with a double charge! The trouble is, it can happen.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    303guy do you happen to have a few recommendations on powders that fall into this area?. I have not any listings in my 4th addition Lyman cast boolit book. Personally I would love to find a powder where a double charge would over flow.I'm new loading cast for rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
    Personally I would love to find a powder where a double charge would over flow.
    28-32 grains of 4895.

Or 40-42 grains 4831

Resp'y,
    Bob S.

Boolit Master
    I finally got out to day to do some testing looks like the 309s will be the first mold .....I was happy so far. Details and epics later.

Boolit Master

Less than ideal testing conditions yesterday, hot humid off the bench with my shooting mat supporting my forward arm. Point of aim was the SR1 6 O'clock hold on target above this one.
    50 yards 309 165 gn bullet 12gn unique. I was happy with the results so far.

heres a static test with HXP greek 1970 ammo. I figure with my so so shooting skills even if I where to produce some super accurate rounds I wouldnt be able to deliver them down range. So Minute of SR1 black is a happy place for me. Figure this would give a little to go by.

another group of 309 CBs. I let a friend test the recoil of these rounds so only 4 made the mark.

Heres the 310's seems to be a little looser on group size. only 8 shots here 6 in the center portion where me. 2 left lower was my friend and 2 more went down range to the bowling pin....I did manage to hit the pin on shot 2 With rear sight all the way to 800 on the elevation I was hitting a tad high from POA. help a little low and DOWN goes the pin. This is what Im looking for just fun plinking ammo on the lesser side of price.

Unsure if I should proceed with trying the 311's or not. I may just order a few molds in various sizes. I have other 30cal fire arms I would most likely cast for also
    Last edited by mac1911; 08-05-2012 at 08:13 AM.

Bob, I really like the pics you share! Gives one something to work towards. I'm going to work on getting a boolit that weighs an honest 220gr (Accurate's 31-230E) to shoot out of my Krag in next years vintage match. A fellow that shot with me was shooting Hornady 220gr bullets, I could really see the turbulence created by them as they were on their way to the target!
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

yes Bob has a lot of things worked out and shoots nice groups.

Seems like I only get groups like that is with bullets out of somebody else's mold. I buy the same mold and it casts small on me.

Boolit Mold
    Mac1911
    I have been using Trail Boss in my 1903a3 (as issue and a sporter) and getting good accuracy, best group with the Sporter and 6x scope is 1.6 inches at 100 yards. It is soft shooting and the best part is that you cannot double charge it as it will overflow the case.

With my 03 Springfield I had a one-inch five shot group with the NOE 311284 Mold over 16 grains of 2400. Funny thing was, they were all in the x.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    I'm going to work on getting a boolit that weighs an honest 220gr (Accurate's 31-230E) to shoot out of my Krag in next years vintage match.
    My old original single cavity 311284 cast at 217 grains +/- 1/2 grain from "old" (pre-1970) wheel weights. Thats before lubricating and gas check seating.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    A fellow that shot with me was shooting Hornady 220gr bullets, I could really see the turbulence created by them as they were on their way to the target!
    Was that Paul?

I never had to watch the trace of a big slow RN. The 168/173/175 boattails at ~2500 fps make a nice trace; an experienced coach can make a pretty accurate plot of a 500 or 600 yard group in the Rattle Battle just from watching the trace.

Resp'y,
    Bob S.

Yes, it was Paul, he was shooting Hornady roundnose bullets. I gave him some of my flatnose 220s to try since he lives close to a Cast Bullet Assoc club. Hope they work for him.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson