Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: NOE 225 62Gr. FN (MX3-22 EX) test result

NOE 225 62Gr. FN (MX3-22 EX) test result

I received my mold last Friday afternoon and went busy till 2AM the next day. All I got after all the trouble were 100 nice and shiny 223 powdercoated boolits ready for testing.

I loaded the bullet deeper, 2.170, the case mouth on the second driving band and put a slight crimp using the FCD. It weighs 64.3grns with gas check, powdercoated, sized to .224 and lubed with Carnauba Red.

This is the load: H4198 - 18grns,WSR primers, cases were assorted, just resize and trim.

I went to an army camp a few kilometers away from my house, the CO was a friend and for sure they have a lot of ARs that I can use for testing! And they're happy to lend them to me in the range! (I don't own one for now).

First rifle to use was an M4, the owner was the CO and it was sweet, groups were nice, the range is maybe around 30-40mtrs. I got 3 rounds that stuck up, hits the wall during feeding and the slugs was driven into the case. The rest all functions well in feeding, in semi and in full auto.

The full auto mode was the best!

Tried the other older M16 rifles, won't feed.

Some questions:
    1. Will I need to seat the bullet longer or much deeper to get 100% proper feeding?
    2. I am limited to VihtaVouri N110, 120 and 140 powders, which do you think will work best for this boolit?
    3. If I seat the boolit deeper, won't the wax contaminate the powder?

Boolit Buddy
    I would say load them a little longer I have mine at 2.240 and so far feeding in both my ar's is flawless now just need to work up some accuracy loads.

As for the powder i would say n140 The vv site lists it for a 63 grn jacket which I normally use as a starting point

I like they look all done up in red like that

Thanks, will heed your idea, I will make another batch and seat it at 2.240 and lets see what happens!

One more thing, when the bullet chambers, the feed ramps doesn't scraped it?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by taminsong View Post
    One more thing, when the bullet chambers, the feed ramps doesn't scraped it?
    The boolit will nose will rub on the feed ramps but i haven't noticed it doing any harm I see more damage being done when a round is unloaded and it drags across the locking lugs.

Ok thanks for the idea.

Will post later if done testing.

I have finally tried to do another set of test and heed the advice to seat the bullet to 2.240.

I up the powder charge to 19.2 H4198, same primer and this time we use a NORINCO M4 rifle. Didn't know the rifling twist, I never saw any markings on the barrel.

The rifle functions well with the ammo, both in semi and full auto mode. No FTF or FTE problems encountered.

I know the bullet will work but I hope somebody here can post about accuracy test. I don't have 223 rifle, a friend who owns one is still out of the country so I cannot borrow the rifle and do accuracy test.

Will this bullet will perform/group well at 300 meters, 600 meters?

I have shot it at 200 yards and it shoots decent and bucks the wind OK.At 300 meters it would probably be a tough

George

Thanks.

I reload a hundred rounds last night hoping we could do some tests but this afternoon the weather isn't good. It keeps raining!

Has anyone tried this bullet in a 222 Rem ? AND has anyone tried this bullet in any weapon with a 1-12 twist ??
    IHMSA # 566 "time sure flies when you're having FUN"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    Has anyone tried this bullet in a 222 Rem ? AND has anyone tried this bullet in any weapon with a 1-12 twist ??
    Stevens 200 22-250 1-12 with 13.5g 5744.Three groups at 100 yards. the holes marked "S" were sighters to zero the scope.The 200 yard group was 2-7/8"
    This was with the Eagan mold that the NOE was made from and shot about four years ago.

George

13.5 5744, SWAG that at about 1900-2000 fps ??? which according to the stability program puts that length .224 bullet just inside the stability envelope.

George , thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne S View Post
    13.5 5744, SWAG that at about 1900-2000 fps ??? which according to the stability program puts that length .224 bullet just inside the stability envelope.

George , thank you
    I dont have the chronograph notebook handy but i do believe 1950 was the velocity.I drove them up to 2600+ with 3031 but never got better accuracy.All the data for the Stevens 200 22-250 and cast is in a CBA Fouling Shot article i did three years or so ago.i dont remember the issues it was in.it had a lot of data but was barely readable.

George

Boolit Master

Well here's the first casting. .............

Well, here's the first casting.

If they shoot as well as they cast, I'll be happy. I haven't weighed them lubed and checked yet, but just as cast weight is 65 grains on the money. My mix is a combination of ~90/10 WW and Lino.

Lets hope they do well in my AR-15! Anybody try these in their AR yet?

HV

Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Still on my to-do list, so I'm depending on other's results.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Any updates on this subject?

Quote Originally Posted by pumbaajk View Post
    Any updates on this subject?
    DITTO ?????????? Looking for 223 data in a bolt gun

Boolit Master
    I've been working with the NOE 225 FN in a .223 Contender rifle bbl. w/a 1 -12 twist. Right now 8.5 grains of Unique seems to be the sweet spot. Brass was a mix of headstamps, all previously fireformed to that bbl. and then necksized, CCI primer and an COL of 2.180". I hope to do a repeat of that load later in the week along with some using IMR 4227. Like everything else, it's a work in progress.

On the 4227 loads, 12.3 grains gave me the best group, 1 1/4" @ 100 yards. Gonna try this load again when it's warmer out, 35 degrees may not have been best conditions but at least the sun was out.

Brian
    Last edited by Czech_too; 03-17-2014 at 03:06 PM. Reason: update
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too