Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: Getting started

Boolit Buddy

Getting started

I am just getting started in casting bullets. I am still in the process of collecting whatever scrap lead I can get my hands on. I have smelted and cast ingots out of about 35 pounds of wheel wieghts and about 15 pounds of lead pipe and stick on wheel wieghts. I have learned alot just reading posts on this forum, so I thought I would ask a couple of questions. I am wanting to start with casting for my 1911 in 45 ACP. Is the LEE tumble lube .452 mold a good place to start? I thought I could order the mold and the Lee sizing die at the same time, save shipping, and be ready to go since Lee includes Alox with the sizing die. Also, can I mix the pure lead in with the wheel weights and be okay at 45 ACP velocities and pressures, and if so what do you recommend percentage wise? Any advice or pointers will be greatly appreciated. My wife doesn't think that I need another hobby, but I think this is going to be fun. Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    I routinely use a 50/50 mix of either range scrap or Stick on WW with some Isotope core or Clip on WW lead for my .45 slugs. They work great. For low velocity cartridges like the .45 or a .38 special, the LLA will work fine, though I would recommend you put together some Recluse lube (45/45/10) as it stretches out your LLA and adds some wax to the process. Check for the sticky in the Lubes section of this site.
    _coder

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.” - William Pitt

Boolit Man

1911 45

+1 for the 45/45/10 lube I use it on a standard lube groove 200 gr Lee LSWC work great. 1-1/2" Groups at 25yds minimal leading with straight wheel weight lead. I'm using a 6 cavity Lee mould as many here recommended it over a 2 hole for various reasons and they pile up quick. Good luck. It's a hoot. Regards-Pitchnit

Boolit Buddy
    Just finished the sticky on Recluse's 45/45/10 lube and I think I am going to give it a try. Have about 150 pounds of lead in ingots now and a Lee 452 tumble lube mold on the way. Can't wait to give it a try and see how it all turns out.

Boolit Buddy
    Finally got a chance to try out my new mold yesterday. Started out a little rough but once I got it up to temperature everything seemed to work out great. I ended up casting about 350 bullets before the 100 degree heat drove me back to the house. I also mixed up a batch of recluse lube yesterday as well, guess I'm a slow learner on this heat wave thing. Now I just have to load up a few and see how they shoot.

Boolit Man
    Good luck. Let us know how they shoot. Regards-Pitchnit

Boolit Master

The .45 ACP "sweet spot" for the 200 SWC bullet is around 775 to 800 fps. I would not exceed that for plinking or recreational shooting. At these velocities the lead content and lube are very broad. The faster you run the bullets the more "correct" everything has to be.
    There are several powders that will work with the .45 ACP.
    Welcome to the board and the hobby of casting.

Boolit Master

The .45 ACP is an easy round to cast for. As mentioned above, keep your 200-gr boolits to a max of 800 fps. And my experience w/TL boolits has all been positive. I have no TL designs, but have used Mule Snot or 45/45/10 on standard design boolits with no issue. And you may not have to size the boolits at all - TL them and load some up and see if the chamber OK. If they do, see if they shoot OK. If they do, press on!
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)