WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Load DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt 350 grain medium high velocity load

Boolit Bub

Looking for 45 Colt 350 grain moderate velocity load

I have some 350s I've loaded with Linebaugh data, 20gr of 296. It's lots of fun destroying a tombstone size chunk of concrete one-handed with a cylinder full, but I'd like to tone it down just a smidge so I can shoot more of them with less fatigue. Problem is, info says not to reduce charge, as 296/110 like 90%+ fill. Can't reduce OAL due to crimp groove. I have Herco, N350, Unique, TiteGroup, 700X, AL-5, AL-8, Clays, 231, BA10. I realize I need probably the slowest of those powders, but don't have data for them. I prefer a heavy slow push to a snappy recoil. Any ideas/loads/input?

Thanks!

EDIT fpr clarity: Currently 20 grains of 296, Linebaugh load 924 fps. Like to drop it down to maybe 800 fps for longer shooting sessions with the heavy concrete busting bullet with less fatigue.
    Last edited by Single Six; 07-04-2012 at 01:24 AM.

Boolit Master
    Having shot 1000's of big bore handgun rounds, I'd say you need to drop bullet weight and velocity. Hard to beat a 250 gr bullet @ 900-1000 fps when the goal is reduced recoil and precision.

The problem you have with a 350 in a 45 is a double edged sword. H-110 is great stuff with heavy bullets and at it's happiest, but can't be downloaded. The problem with faster powders and heavy for caliber bullets is pressure typically rises very quickly, you can go from safe load to stuck cases in 1/2 gr more powder, and to a large degree you'll be on your own for load data.

Boolit Bub
    Yeah, that's what I'm finding. I was just hoping for a big, heavy, soft - recoiling punkin chunkin load. Maye I'll give Mr. Linebaugh a call and see what he says.

9gr of unique is very pleasurable and around 950fps. 16gr of 2400 will do a bit more and still very comfortable. 15.8 gr of enforcer is about 900fps and the max is 18.5 gets ya pretty close to 1200. 20gr of .4227 is also very nice starting load and 22gr of alliant mp-300 is their starting load. all of these starting loads are easy on the shooter and depending on you gun go between 900fps to 1050fps and most if not all have been very accurate in my guns. ymmv

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, bigbore! Those are 350 grain loads, just to be sure?

I called Mr. Linebaugh and he said about 16 or 17 grains of 2400 would be his guess. Said not to go to 10 of Unique, too fast for that much bullet. He said he'd throw a few together and try them and to call back and see what he got. We'll see.

This is Linebaugh's data I'm using. Starting load of 20 Grains = 924fps. Maybe the 9 grains of Unique is what I'm looking for.

350 JSP H-110 20 924 24,400 H-110 21 1092 31,000

THIS DATA CAN ALSO BE USED WITH CAST LEAD SLUGS OF EQUAL WEIGHT.
    350 GRAIN SLUGS ARE THE HEAVIEST WE RECOMMEND IN THE .45 COLT.
    THIS IS ABOUT THE BALANCE POINT OF THIS ROUND.
    Last edited by Single Six; 07-03-2012 at 01:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    As I recall there was a thread on one of the forums here about somebody that blew the cylinder and top strap on an old model blackhawk using Unique with 300+gr bullets.

If I was going to download a heavy cast bullet in a big bore revolver, 2400 would be my powder of choice. It is fairly linear and can be safely downloaded.

I would be extremely cautious using anyones load data for such a heavy bullet, because different bullet designs will occupy different amounts of space in the case, and hence one persons 350gr bullet could have 10-20% more or less powder capacity than someone elses design, not to mention dramatic increases in bearing surface and hence engraving forces.

Boolit Bub
    paul, I'm with you. I'd like to stay as slow as I can, both for safety and "feel".

For example, I love 230s over VV N-350 in my 45 ACP at max book charge...it's a powerful load, up into the 900 fps, but the feel is great, it's more pleasant to shoot than factory 230 loads due to less snap.

I also like N350 with heavy bullets in my 357. I picked up 3# of it on a half price shelf in a dusty corner of a little shop in TX once. I'm gonna be mighty sad when it runs out, it's expensive.
    Last edited by Single Six; 07-03-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Sure would be nice if loads included case intrusion dimensions or if there was a database for it. I think the m1911.org forum has one for 45acp bullets.
    Last edited by Single Six; 07-03-2012 at 02:29 PM.

single six
    these are the loads that I shoot with a 340gr mold bullets drop any where from 342 to 348 so you'll be fine the loads for 2400 came from reloadammo.com handloads,com for the unique and there are articles on handloads .com. The info for enforcer came from them I had to email them. I've been shooting the 340+gr bullets for a few years and have spent a looking time looking up and chasing load data. You can find a lot just by using google try .45 colt 350gr loads

Boolit Master
    Hodgdons list for a 360 gr bullet a start load of 18 gr H110 with a WLP primer to fire it. only 10 grains difference in bullet weight. why can't you try that?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Hodgdons list for a 360 gr bullet a start load of 18 gr H110 with a WLP primer to fire it. only 10 grains difference in bullet weight. why can't you try that?

I would want to know the case intrusion of that bullet and compare it to mine before I'd try that, my 350 might give the 296 too much space.

Boolit Master

I have shot 6.5 grains of Red Dot under a 320 grain LEE RNFP in a ruger blackhawk and winchester trapper carbine. Recoil is quite mild and accuracy is excellent. If memory serves me, MV is around 900 or so fps from the ruger.
    I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be.

Polite society started dying the day it was no longer necessary for rude men to physically defend themselves from the consquences of their actions or words.

come to think of it I have done the same 6.5gr of red dot in the 340gr.

Boolit Master
    Might give Trail Boss a go.I loaded some 325 grain bollits for the 45 colt and they were a hoot to shoot.
    The LT.that owned the pistol didn't want a load with wrist breaking recoil.
    It worked so well that I laughed real hard cuz I told him they were stout.
    He had a death grip on the first round then started laughing himself.

Boolit Master
    I agree with Paul H on 2400 for this purpose. Maybe start at 12 grains and work up for a clean burn. Same with 9 AL8 or 8 Blue Dot.

For fast powders, although I agree that Red Dot is a great powder for .45 Colt and in fact one of my go-to loads uses RD, I think Bullseye is more stable under pressure. I would start at 4.5 grains of Bullseye and maybe work up, watching for pressure signs. That might even be the best powder for a 600-750 fps plinking load.

BTW, I answered your comment on the reloading blog, but only to the extent of discussing AL8.

Boolit Buddy
    You may find some loads in his writings........

http://www.customsixguns.com/writings.htm

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for input, all.

Mr. Linebaugh called back, 15 grs of 2400 was about 900, but inconsistent. 16 was 1000 and consistent. 17 1100, inconsistent. He didn't see the point of running the 350 less than 1000.

I'll probably try some of the Unique and other loads. Any thoughs on importance of OAL/bullet intrusion=powder space in the case?

Need to investigate Lee's reduced charge formula.

Thanks
    Last edited by Single Six; 07-04-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    you may want to try 4759, is a wonderful powder to fill the case in the 45 Colt and 500 L. 19 grains and a 310 Keith does about a thousand. In the 500, 21 is a little under 900, 24 is alittle over 1050, all with 450 keith and rem 2 1/2 and starline cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Single Six View Post
    Thanks for input, all.

Mr. Linebaugh called back, 15 grs of 2400 was about 900, but inconsistent. 16 was 1000 and consistent. 17 1100, inconsistent. He didn't see the point of running the 350 less than 1000.

I'll probably try some of the Unique and other loads. Any thoughs on importance of OAL/bullet intrusion=powder space in the case?

Need to investigate Lee's reduced charge formula.

Thanks
    All I can say is to crimp it out as far as the crimp groove and the cylinder will allow. It has to be at least .030 short of the cylinder and crimped heavy (for the heavy recoil of that bullet) or it will "tie up" the pistol.

Frank

Boolit Bub
    I am interested in the Trail Boss and 4759 too though. A more economical (less powder) load would be nice.

I ended up trying 18 grains of 296 in six rounds. The feel is what I was looking for, just a bit reduced so I can shoot more of them without a sore wrist. I have not yet chrono'd them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast