Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is .45 the most versatile caliber?

Boolit Bub

Is .45 the most versatile caliber?

From bird shot to one ball for varmints or two balls for defense to .454 casull in a rifle to match or exceed .45-70 power....I can't think of anything more versatile.

Boolit Master
    Have you ever read any of Jim Taylor's articles about the .45 Colt? Some of them are at Paco Kelly's Leverguns website, but Jim used to have a sixgun website with more of them. Of course, I don't have to tell you about John Linebaugh. You already know him, don't you?

500 S&W.

Plinker through hand cannon. 275gr -700gr. 850fps-2000fps.

To me that’s versatility.

Boolit Master
    I'm more on the side of 30 caliber. Large range of boolit weights, large range of cartridges. Velocities for ho hum to holy freaking frijoles that's fast. How many diffferent rifles are chambered is some 30 caliber?? and some handguns. I think 30 has the edge.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Grand Master
    Ummm, a 30 cal rifle will do well too. Uses less lead and powder too. Economics is always a factor.

This is an arguement with no answer. Use what you like, that is all that matters.

Boolit Master

I have a lot of pistols in the safe and a fair collection of rifles. If I had to get it together before "it hit the fan" day arrived and was told to pick one handgun and one rifle, I would probably take my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt and my M-1 Garand. The Garand might be a little heavy duty for some purposes (small game) but I would never be under-gunned. The .45 Colt will handle anything from rattlesnake shot loads to big feral hogs and black bear. The Garand would provide both long range power and the rapid dispensing of defensive rounds as required.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Smith View Post
    500 S&W.

Plinker through hand cannon. 275gr -700gr. 850fps-2000fps.

To me that’s versatility.
    Too much overkill methinks.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    I have a lot of pistols in the safe and a fair collection of rifles. If I had to get it together before "it hit the fan" day arrived and was told to pick one handgun and one rifle, I would probably take my Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt and my M-1 Garand. The Garand might be a little heavy duty for some purposes (small game) but I would never be under-gunned. The .45 Colt will handle anything from rattlesnake shot loads to big feral hogs and black bear. The Garand would provide both long range power and the rapid dispensing of defensive rounds as required.

David
    I agree. I was thinking about the 45LC or 454 in both a handgun and a rifle would be pretty versatile.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    I'm more on the side of 30 caliber. Large range of boolit weights, large range of cartridges. Velocities for ho hum to holy freaking frijoles that's fast. How many diffferent rifles are chambered is some 30 caliber?? and some handguns. I think 30 has the edge.
    I tend to agree, though there isn't much for handguns. I guess the downside to 45 is lack of brass, unless you include ACP.

Boolit Master

Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt, H&R Classic Carbine in .45 Colt. I've enjoyed mild loads of .454 round ball to warm loads of 300 grain round flat. Pretty versatile indeed. Frank

Boolit Master
    Single Six
    I used to have the 454 Casull pistol/rifle combo! But the SRH went down the road - but I still have the Lever gun in 454 Casull. Also have a 45 LC Win 94. Loaded correctly there is anything on this earth I wouldn't shoot with either.

500Smith

Yea thats great if you got a set of wheels to roll it around!

Boolit Master
    I love my .45 Colt revolvers and consider a 4 5/8-inch Blackhawk (large frame) a great choice for all-around use. I have loaded everything from round balls at BB gun velocities to 325 grain boolits in loads that outperform the .44 Mag with less pressure, and I have killed snakes and rats with shot loads both in .45 Colt brass and in .410 hulls cut down to fit the cylinder.

As time goes by though, I become more and more a fan of the lowly .38 Special. For one thing I have thousands and thousands of cases. For another the .38 delivers killing power far beyond its paper ballistics, while keeping the lead and powder bill very low. Lastly, it is available in smaller guns than the .45 Colt, and an excellent quality .38 is far cheaper to buy than just about any .45 Colt. So I'm not planning on getting rid of my .45s, but my old model Flat Top .357, unsullied by any transfer-bar "upgrade", gets more use.

Skeeter wrote something along those lines about his old Blackhawk .357, too.

Boolit Master
    push comes to shove, I have a stainless Para P-14 in 45acp and my trusty DPMS Panther LR model in 308Win.

Otherwise, my 4" Colt Anaconda in 45LC is the Perfect Packing Pistol.

Rich
    Last edited by Idaho Sharpshooter; 08-01-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Where in the original post does it specify handguns?

I will take a 30 cal rifle over a 45 handgun in most situations any day.

In Remebrance

35 cal in handgun or rifle.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    35 cal in handgun or rifle.
    35 cal in handgun and rifle.

just sayin'

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Where in the original post does it specify handguns?

I will take a 30 cal rifle over a 45 handgun in most situations any day.
    Well, I didn't spec it, but relegating to rifles-only negates significant versatility. I agree .30 wins in rifles.

I live in the desert but we recently got some rain. I went out for some very informal mud ballistics testing, just for fun. From .22 CBs to shotgun. The biggest and deepest hole was .30-06 180gr soft point. A 3" slug would probably have been bigger, but I neglected to bring some. 125 '06 grain was a big shallow hole. 350 grain 45 colt was not a large hole, but deep, it and the 180 gr TC 357 penetrated the mud so deep the holes filled up with water. The most surprising was .22 magnum. The holes from it were almost as big as the lighter bullet .357 holes. That's a potent little round.

Boolit Master

I don't want more versatility, I want more GUNS! What happens if I tell my wife that a single gun will do everything???

Boolit Master

This thread just reminded me of the articles in the early 1980s. Seems like every magazine had a new "Hottest load for the Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt" every month. My buddy Mac and I had to try them all. They were so brutal that I still have a box full of 290 grain .45 boolits that may be saved until I leave this world just to remind me of what stupid loads can do to me. The gun may handle it but even when I was young those loads took a toll on tendons and ligaments. The Blackhawk is just too light to dampen the recoil of loads that belong in a heavy .454.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree David. I have rip snorting 45 Colt loads too. I have a box of 50 or so left. When I decide I am up to it I shoot 10 per range trip to empty the brass.

45 Colt just works well without extreme velocity. I like a 290 at 900 just fine.

While it doesn't say much about "versatility" but I shoot far more 35 cal bullets than I do 45. A 357 with 38 loads is just so darn shootable. Great gun for new shooters too. What more do I really need?
    Last edited by btroj; 08-01-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Ttpo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast