WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ringing a chamber?

I have heard in the past that if the powder you choose fills at least 50% of the case volume there is no reason to use a filler. That being said, with all the different powders that are available. Why use fillers at all?
    Mr. Bill2

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=ring+chamber

The chamber ring is black. The copper is a bore scope. If I remember correctly, the case shows the ring when pushed into the chamber. This was on a Marlin lever action rifle in 444. The rifle was returned to Marlin and the replaced, no charge.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

Boolit Master
    I put a ring in a chamber several years ago. SSK custom Contender barrel chambered 30 30 Ackly Improved. Fireforming 30 30 cases with 10gr of Herco behind a RCBS 180FN firing rather quick just to blow out the shoulder. Ring was in the neck at the base of the bullet. NO FILLER. Very difficult to extract the last fired case although I did feel hard extraction on earlier rounds but ignored it. Early days of shooting/casting/reloading. The ring was polished out to the point of being able to extract cases by SSK and the barrel for a couple of years in IHMSA. So I believe it can happen without using a filler and have not used fast burning pistol/shotgun powders since. Call me overcautious.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes you can use dacron with your 4198 load in the 303, probably will improve your accuracy and definately will improve ignition. Make sure it isn't packed down against the powder, it should fill the space between powder and base of the bullet completely with slight compression when seating the bullet.

The first I ever heard of chamber ringing involved H110 used in 308 win reduced loads, no filler used and several chambers ringed.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by mrbill2 View Post
    I have heard in the past that if the powder you choose fills at least 50% of the case volume there is no reason to use a filler. That being said, with all the different powders that are available. Why use fillers at all?
    Prior to the last six years I might have agreed with that. The key word here is available. We seem to have a bit of a supply problem. On a trip back home to MT this past summer I though I'd surely find a better variety of powder than I'm finding in southern NV. Did I get educated! (My original thinking: surely in one of the most pro-gun states in the country I'd find a better assortment of powder and primers than I've been seeing....) I felt lucky to find a couple jugs of 4198. That should make Buckshot smile. I'm pretty sure that's one of his favorites, and I'm learning to like it. I can hope this year's trip will be more productive.
    Regards,
    papertrl

Boolit Mold

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    You will find filler to be a very controversial subject.

Anyway, my goal was to be able to use powders I had on hand that were not necessarily the best for cast boolits....
    http://www.303british.com/id37.html ...
    I have a similar goal. Thanks for the link. I've read Southall's pages and don't doubt that he's had really good success with COW and PSB. Then I read Larry's posts and start thinking that dacron would be the way.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    Surplus Rifle also had a good article on using PSB filler for .308. That site is now down but I copied the article so could e-mail it if you would like to read it.
    I appreciate the offer, but before you do, is this the article you have in mind:
    http://www.gun-shots.net/wp-content/...castfiller.pdf ? Looks like these guys stashed a copy, too.

Thanks for your thoughts. I sympathize with your supply problem up there. I probably shouldn't whine too loudly about my own supply problem. Things could always be worse, I suppose.
    Regards,
    papertrl

Boolit Master
    Does bullet weight affect chamber ringing? If ringing is caused by a pressure spike between the wad and bullet till the projectile starts moving down the barrel wouldn't a heavier bullet which has more inertia cause a increase in the spike? The reason I'm asking is because I've been shooting a 100 grain boolit over 5-6 grains of bullseye or Greendot using a small pinch of dacron or cotton to hold the powder charge against the primer. I've shot over 500 of this type of round in a 7.7 Jap with no ringing or problems and have used the same load as a 50 yd plinker for a 30-06 with good results. Is my powder charge too light to cause a serious pressure spike or does my bullet weight also help reduce the chance of ringing the chamber.
    A lot of great information has been presented so far about the cause of chamber ringing, love this site, except for one variable which is bullet weight. Maybe I'm comparing apples and oranges with a 100 grain boolit plinker light load and much heavier boolits using slower powders. Thanks

Another Zombie thread.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Tamping a wad down against powder and leaving air space between the wad and boolit base is a really good way to ring a chamber.

Gear
    Yep why no spacers should be used

Boolit Grand Master

Charlie Dell was a personal friend of mine. We have seriously discussed this problem. Charlie made brass barrels (faster yield from the pressure) and was able to ring a barrel at will. The problem, as originally discovered by the Frenchman Vielle, is the pressure wave created. Charlie could even ring barrels without a wad of any kind.

The ringing force is caused by a pressure wave created when the powder is resting against the base of the case. This can be done while holding the barrel vertically when firing. It doesn't require a wad. However, the wad, as typically used, when pressed against the powder, with a air column between the powder and bullet base, causes the pressure wave that radially presses against the barrel at the base of the bullet. This effect is accumalitive. The use of dacron fluff materially increases this force.

Charlie was a SERIOUS Schuetzen shooter. It is quite common to use breech seated bullets with small powder charges. Charlie discovered that if the wad was seated just a few thousandths off the powder to allow it to "slump" the ringing force does not occur. I dropped the powder and followed Charlie's instructions to the letter with reference to seating the wads. I used Floral foam (I just pushed the mouth of the case through a sheet of the floral foam and then seated it to a pre-determined depth). Nary a problem occurred, BY ACTUAL TESTS.

The older, much softer barrels (as built by the factories at the turn of the century as well as custom makers of the time, like Harry Pope) were much easier to ring. With modern barrels, ringing is much less common.

However, match barrels are not cheap and I, for one, considered using Charlie's loading directions MANDATORY.

You will hear from many, who state that "I have done this, etc. for many years without a problem".

Well, just because you got away with it does not mean it's not a good idea to follow good guide lines.

Charlie Dell was a fine man and did much research to help the new, as well as old timer, shooters.

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Another Zombie thread.
    Charger that is funny BUT our own Deputy Al ringed a chamber on a Win 94 in 25-35 not that long ago. Maybe he will post some specifics here.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Charger that is funny BUT our own Deputy Al ringed a chamber on a Win 94 in 25-35 not that long ago. Maybe he will post some specifics here.
    Afraid so. The rifle is a flatband example made sometime just before/during/after WWII by the S/N, and was among the absolute last of my rifles I would have wanted this to occur with.

The load used was housed in W-W 25-35 cases, lit with WLR primers, 10.0 grains of 2400, a tuft of dacron that WAS NOT pushed against the powder, and the NEI 114 grain flatnose bullet @ .258" in 92/6/2 alloy with Hornady gas check. A mild roll crimp secured the bullet in place for the ride down the magazine and through the action.

I noticed the ringing when extraction got a little balky; I saw a ringed portion of the casing right above the shoulder/neck junction on the neck of the case. This is also very close to where the bullet's base locates when the cartridge is completed. The sick feeling I got at the time has only lessened a little bit over time. After a several-year period of palavering around and indecision over a resolution, a little over a year ago I had Jesse Ocumpah of Cottage Grove, OR rebore the barrel to 38-55.

I do NOT use any form of filler in any of my reloading activities at this time, and am very likely not to at any future time.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    Ringing is an odd phenomenon. Too bad about the 25-35. I know the theory that most follow goes something like a ring is caused by a high pressure "ring" of gas sandwiched between something at the rear and an obstruction at the front- namely the bullet base. I have a slightly different take on it. I think it is caused by a radial solid kinetic energy event where a high velocity something hits the obstruction (like a bullet base), one or both objects expand and peen a circle around the zone of the event.

Anyway, ringing events have been around a long time- well before dacron fillers and it can happen even when no filler or wad of any kind is used between powder and bullet. I've looked at a lot of old BP chambers and almost every one of them has at least a small discernible ring where a bullet would normally be seated. I think it is the result of a solid compressed mass of unburned BP kernels hitting the bullet base shortly after ignition. Also seems logical (IMO) this would be especially true if over time the BP settled in the case creating, even the smallest, air space between the powder and bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    One other "variable" in this equation to consider......the 25-35's neck joins with a long, gently-sloping shoulder that could conceivably help "focus" such a destructive pressure wave in some fashion. I should point out that the rifle was still usable, if you were willing to ruin brass in order to fire it. That struck me as being pretty wasteful. I am now out of the caliber entirely, and sold off tooling and components specific to the caliber.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Al take that 38-55 out and make venison, it will help ease the pain of losing a loved one.;-( Thanks for the post
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Afraid so. The rifle is a flatband example made sometime just before/during/after WWII by the S/N, and was among the absolute last of my rifles I would have wanted this to occur with.

The load used was housed in W-W 25-35 cases, lit with WLR primers, 10.0 grains of 2400, a tuft of dacron that WAS NOT pushed against the powder, and the NEI 114 grain flatnose bullet @ .258" in 92/6/2 alloy with Hornady gas check. A mild roll crimp secured the bullet in place for the ride down the magazine and through the action.

I noticed the ringing when extraction got a little balky; I saw a ringed portion of the casing right above the shoulder/neck junction on the neck of the case. This is also very close to where the bullet's base locates when the cartridge is completed. The sick feeling I got at the time has only lessened a little bit over time. After a several-year period of palavering around and indecision over a resolution, a little over a year ago I had Jesse Ocumpah of Cottage Grove, OR rebore the barrel to 38-55.

I do NOT use any form of filler in any of my reloading activities at this time, and am very likely not to at any future time.
    This topic has been discussed several times since I've been around, and I always felt somewhat immune to this problem as I use Red or Green Dot, Unique and Blue Dot for my cast shootin'. I dabbled for a short time with fillers using slower powders, but didn't like or perhaps didn't have the confidence in the method. I also have stayed with 44 Mag and 30-30 primarily, with the thinking that the reduced volume of the cases offered some immunity as well, as my gut feeling about the cause of ringing has always focused on volume. I'm sorry to hear about Al's experience with this, not only because of the damage to his rifle, but because it blows holes (pun not intended) in the ideas I've held about the use of fillers, powder speed and case volume. I guess as in all things you pays your money and takes your chances. I also wonder, over the time I've been a member here, just how many loads using fillers have been fired, just how many have been fired without, and just how many ring events have occurred among us. If it's a million in one chance, how likely is it that any one of us will see it over our lifetime? Somehow, I'm far more concerned with a double charge escaping me (one has already, as have several squibs). My theory is that reloading is like motorcycle riding, there are two kinds of riders/reloaders, those who have experienced a crash and those who will. How honest we are about it is another question...

Boolit Mold

I'm the guilty party that resurrected this thread, or as Char-Gar put it, I guess I created a zombie. I've been wavering back and forth on the whole filler issue, and Deputy Al's post is a good reminder of why I can't quite make up my mind. I'm pretty glad to read some new input on this topic, though, so thank-you to everyone who added to this discussion. Merry Christmas.
    Regards,
    papertrl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12