Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: kirst 1858 loading gate designs/improvements

kirst 1858 loading gate designs/improvements

I have an 1858 which I converted to .45colt. It's the version of the Kirst that incorporates a gated ring, as opposed to their open ring/un-gated version.

I've noticed that Kirst has done at least two versions for thier gated ring conversion.

My conversion uses the style where they milled/notched out a depression in the back end of the gate itself. You must insert a finger tip to pry the gate open. It works ok, but I find it a little awkward to get my finger tip or just a fingernail into the notch sometimes and pull it open with ease. This could be especially true, if you were wearing gauntlets/gloves for shooting.

The #2 version I have seen, Kirst utilizes a small lip that protrudes out from the gate itself. It seems it would be a little easier to open up, than they type I have installed. This type is even a little closer to the original Navy model conversion, which also had a piece protruding out to open the gate/door.

Anyone else think about this or have used both versions to make a comparison? I was thinking about adding a protrusion like version #2 has to my notched out gate to make it faster to open.

Of the two gates I'm referring to, one looks closer to an original Navy conversion. Both are shown here, with an original first.

Here is an original Navy conversion I found online:

Here is the Kirst gate that looks more like the original Navy Conversion:

Here is the one I have. A bit less accurate looking and more tricky to open:

Someone body besides me has to have some thoughts on this....I'm not exactly the deepest thinker in the bunch.

emptythemag,
    The cheapest fix, in my opinion, disassemble the loading gate from cylinder and fab an extension and weld. Grind, polish, cold blue and install.

My second thought, would be to contact the Kirst mfg.; sounds like you have a 2nd generation and quite often there are upgrades available for past customers.
    More time more thoughts, maybe?
    Ramar

I though about fabricating up a piece and then welding it on as one option.

I didn't think about just contacting Kirst and asking them. Maybe their actual swing gate dimensions are the same on both...so one gate could be directly swapped over with the other style. I'll have to email them and inquire.

I guess what I installed would be considered their "newer" 2nd generation version, since you don't see that other style offered on their web site anymore.
    My pappy learnt me real early that they’s only three times when a feller handles a gun. That’s when he’s cleanin’ it or when he’s loadin’ it or when he’s fixin’ to use it. ---Festus Hagen

Boolit Grand Master

Let us know what they tell you, please.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I'll make sure I post an update as soon as I get a reply.

In my "experience" it often takes a week or two to get replies... but maybe Kirst replies to their email a little faster. We shall see.

Here is what I just sent them---

Subject: 1858 dicontinued loading gate?

Hello, I have an 1858 that I converted to .45colt using one of your Kirst gated ring back plates. I noticed that your company has done at least 2 versions of your gated/hinged ring conversion. My recoil plate’s gate has a milled/notched out a depression in the back end of the gate. For reference, I have the style gate currently for sale on your web site. The other Kirst version I have seen, seems to have been discontinued. It utilizes a small lip that protrudes out from the gate itself. This type seems a little closer to the original Navy model conversion, which also had a piece protruding out (to open the hinged gate).
    Is it possible for past customers to purchase this discontinued style gate itself, with the hardware (if necessary) to secure it…assuming the dimensions are basically the same on both and it would swap in without too much difficulty? Thank you.
    Last edited by emptythemag; 07-11-2012 at 03:46 PM.
    My pappy learnt me real early that they’s only three times when a feller handles a gun. That’s when he’s cleanin’ it or when he’s loadin’ it or when he’s fixin’ to use it. ---Festus Hagen

Ok...here's our answer.

I give the folks at Kirst a thumbs up for replying to my question practically right away. Here is the reply I received for now:

> The gates are not interchangable. I will look to see if I have any old style rings in back stock.
    > If you don't here from me in a day or two please e-mail back or call 254-248-0663
    >
    > Jay Strite
    > Kirst Konverter LLC

Not exactly what we were hoping for in terms of interchangeability but I give them credit for replying right back and that their going to see if they have any other type back plates still left over.

Looks like the best option is going to be just modify the existing gate, by adding the little lever to it.