RepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change GP-100 barrel from full lug to half lug?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Change GP-100 barrel from full lug to half lug?

Hey guys. I have a Ruger GP-100 with 4.2" full lug barrel and adjustable sights. I like the gun very much but I do not care at all for the full underlug barrel. It adds needless weight to an already heavy gun and makes it feel very muzzle heavy. Ruger never did produce a Geep with a 4.2" half lug barrel and adjustable sights. I wonder how feasible it would be for a gunsmith to change the profile to that of a half lug barrel? I know it sounds like I'm choking on gnats but I've handled the half lug fixed sight guns before and they have a much better feel to me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Used to own a Security Six with a 4" barrel and half underlug. Thought it balanced pretty nice. I will follow this thread as I have a GP100 like yours and have wondered how it would be if some of the extra iron was removed.

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

I have the 6" Half Lug, and it is much lighter than Katie's 4" full lug.

Good Luck,

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Master

If it's stainless it would be a piece of cake, grind it off, dress it with files and wet/dry paper. Voila, half lug!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I'm going to talk to a couple of local gunsmiths about this project. I think that it wouldn't cost too much if the job could be done without removing the barrel from the gun. I also have a 4" Service Six and it feels way better although its not much smaller. I love the Ruger DA revolvers and really would like to see them come out with a true K-frame size gun with six shots of .38 Special or (please, please, please) .32 H&R.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

If your handy you could do it yourself without to much of a problem , either grind of mill of whats not wanted & dress with a file & sandpaper. should only take a few hours but go slow its not a race.

Oh yes, I'm tempted. I think I'm going to get a pro to do it because I want it to look as close to the factory half lug barrel as possible. If I ever have to sell it the nice appearance might actually bring more money than leaving it the way it is. My bluing and polishing skills are pretty rudimentary. If it was stainless, or was a total beater, I might take a whack at it.

Boolit Buddy
    I do not remember the site, but I indeed saw this exact thing done online in the not to distant past...

I love my half-lug 4" GP, and the fixed sights do not bother me...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Creek Sam View Post
    I have the 6" Half Lug, and it is much lighter than Katie's 4" full lug.

Good Luck,

Sam
    You know i thought so myself but the postal scales puts my 4"full lug gun 3ozs less than my 6"half lug gun.
    When you pick them up though the 6" does indeed feel lighter for some reason.Go figure!

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had both the 6" and 4" full lugged GP-100's. When I had the money the half lugs weren't available or were only the fixed sight version.

Anybody know if the half lug has the removeable front sight?

Robert

Boolit Master

Mine does.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master in Heavens Range

Mine Also.

Sam
    Muddy Creek Sam
    |__
    ( o )\_
    USN 100% Disabled
    Dark Lord of The Soot
    SBSS# 2137
    LASSOOS#1957s
    SASS VET #131
    http://www.muddycreeksam.com

My Feedback!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66946

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I've had both the 6" and 4" full lugged GP-100's. When I had the money the half lugs weren't available or were only the fixed sight version.

Robert
    My half-lug 4" fixed sight (KGPF-340) front sight is roll pinned...

I found that Gemini Customs, a firm which makes custom GP's, is located about 3 miles form my work. I contacted them and they said they could do it but the price quoted was really high. I'm going to contact a couple of other smiths and see about it.

Banned

This is a hard call for me. Shooting a 10" SRH off hand had the barrel dip down all the time until I got used to it. I shoot 7-1/2" with no problems.
    Then I go to the Mark II's that are real light and I can not hold the silly things still anymore. They are just too light. I can't answer but if you go too light you might get the wobbles like me.

Boolit Master
    It's not just light vs. heavy, but where the gun balances. I agree on the mk II, I had a 4" which I simply couldn't shoot offhand, have a 5 1/2" which is better but still hard to hold steady. I shoot my 7 1/2" SRH fairly well offhand, and will be adding either a 4 or 6" gp-100 to the stable, depending on how they balance for me. I'm leaning towards 6" due to the longer sight radius and my eyes aging. I'm waiting for a 6 1/2" barrel to arrive for my blackhawk to replace the 4 5/8" tube. Kinda mute as I've scoped it, but there is something to be said for proper balance.

Boolit Bub
    Would it be easier to drill out the lug, make it hollow then plug the end?

It might be, but I also want the look of the half lug in addition to the lower weight. Full lugs just don't look good in my eyes, especially when the barrel and the top rib are already really thick. Gemini Customs is out, they only do full tilt custom work. A gunsmith friend of mine quoted me $150.00 so I'm probably going to go with that when I get the cash. Really, I would prefer to just screw on a factory half lug barrel but good luck finding one.

Well, I won a half lug .357 Service Six barrel on Fleabay for $25.00 bucks. Anyone know if it could be modified to work on the GP?

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm thinking the threads will be too small, but I don't know for sure.

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast