MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Planning to cut down a 454 SRH, but which one?

Boolit Bub

Planning to cut down a 454 SRH, but which one?

I've posted in the recent past about a 9.5" Super Redhawk that I got a few months ago. I am loving it! So much so, in fact, that I picked up a 7.5" on Gunbroker that sold for a price I could not resist. I was really wanting a 45LC Redhawk or 45LC S&W Mountain Gun, for carry. However, I can cut the barrel down and have the front sight rebrazed for less than one of those, plus I can shoot 454 out of it if I want! It'll only weigh a few more ounces than the Mountain Gun, and about even with the Redhawk.

At the moment, the plan is to mostly shoot 300gr at 1200fps out of a 4.25" barrel. This will be a camping/hiking gun. I will probably load those in 45LC brass, so that I can use case-filling loads of Lil' Gun. It would be nice to get that velocity out of 454 brass, but I don't really want to have to expand into another powder to do so (Unique or Universal), and I really do not like the idea of using powders that could fit a double or triple load under the bullet.

The only real problem that I have now is that I got the 7.5" SRH last night and it is a beauty. It came with box, scope rings, fired cases, and manual. It looks practically unfired (but for the carbon rings around the cylinder mouths) and the trigger frame fit to the gun frame is impeccable.

In contrast, the 9.5" has slight wear on the barrel end, has a slightly bent rear sight arm, a gap above the trigger frame, and pebbling on the cylinder where it looks to have been dropped on concrete. Clearly this is a better candidate for some amateur gunsmithing.

The only reasons I do not want to cut the 9.5" down are that it might get a smidge more velocity (chrony tests will tell) and it is discontinued. I hesitate to butcher a gun model that cannot be bought new anymore. I intend for the longer gun to be scoped and used for hunting with 454 rounds, so sight radius between the 7.5" and 9.5" is a non-issue. Ultimately, my choice will come down to chrony and accuracy results between the two weapons, but I thought I would air this small internal conflict to see if anyone else has opinions.

Another option would be to trade the 9.5" straight up to someone with the 7.5", but then I have to start thinking about shipping and FFL fees, which would add up.

Boolit Grand Master
    cut the new one
    haven't had it long enough to have any attachment one way or another
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I would keep the 7.5" untouched if it were me. IMO 7.5" barrel on a SRH is a good length for the cartridge regarding hunting. If it weren't the more popular or at least equal to then Ruger would have not discontinued the 9.5"; obviously hunters and others have a preference for the 7.5" barrel. The added velocity is hardly a reason to consider one over the other. The 9.5" barreled SRH has cosmetic issues as it sits and your plans are for a packing gun which often times can aquire a few scuffs here and there so...........

I'd cut the 9.5. I agree that 7.5is a better all around length and the 9.5 is only comfortable at the bench where you don't have to find a holster big enough for it or worry about hitting your buddy in the head when you turn around

I have cut down several revolvers and rifles in my time and there is one issue with a stainless Ruger.... 2dogs said it best, Rugers stainless is harder than a whores heart. Not impossible, but way harder than a blued one.

Boolit Master
    For me, 9 1/2 is just too long to be practical IMO. That is the one I would cut. I had one SRH cut back to 5-inches and it was perfect.
    Semper Fidelis

I would cut the one that doesnt shoot as well at ranges you are going to be hunting.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far"
    Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Buddy
    Sturmcrow: In your initial message you said that you "love" the 9.5" SRH and that you'd recently picked up the 7.5" one. As you love the 9.5 AND it's discontinued, you may want to think about holding on to this one and cutting the much more replacable 7.5" revolver. We've all seen how used gun values can go up for well made, discontinued models. Just a thought... -Ed

Boolit Master
    I'd cut the 9 1/2. You'll have a useful length barrel stub when done for a project gun Jack Huntington is pretty reasonable, and if you want a nice two tone gun have him bead blast the barrel and cylinder to contrast the matte gray on the frame.

Boolit Master

I have 3, 454s a 9" , 7 1/2" and a 6" my favorite is the 6" the 9 inch is too big/long very unwelding its my posting gun when hunting with a scope, for normal hunting i use the other 2 with red dot sights . you really dont loose or gain much velocity to worry about in the 454 casull when loaded in shorter or longer barrels in handloader they tested a FA 4 5/8 & 7 1/2 inch barrel in most instances velocity loss was around 100 fps between the two and thats approx 3 inches difference in barrel length.

I agree with cutting the 9". They may not be making them anymore...but who cares?

Toss the sentiment. Go the route that will give the two most FUNCTIONAL guns. I bet a new nickel you'll begin to Love the shorty just plenty.
    There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip.