Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.45x39 reloading

Boolit Master
    GONRA suggests carefully selecting primers - think about SLAMFIRES!! CCI military primers should be used, not just anything!

Boolit Bub
    Now its possible to get new brass cases and bullets from Hornady. Grafs and Midway both have them. Hornady is supposed to be making dies available soon so now we need load data. The hornady bullets are 60gr Vmax and .2215". I've had an SSG82 for years and wanted to load for it but never had the time to mod cases and didn't have dies. Looking forward to finally getting to shoot this thing. I don't think I'll need to worry about slam fires with the bolt action and would normally use CCI BR4's for primers but some idiot at Hornady designed the cases with large rifle primers. What the hell were they thinking? Oh well.....looks like Fed 210s.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Roberson Cartridge make the 5.45x39 lathe turned brass
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Now we just need some solid and tested load data for 50, 60 and 70 grain bullets.

I have the lee 221" sizer and have been sizing down .224" bullets and making "Mexican match" loads buy pulling 60 gr FMJ's and replacing with soft-points and expanding bullets.

Bought a set of reloading dies from one of the good fellows here.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrimReaper View Post
    That is a good deal for 100 bullets.

Does anyone know how close .222 Remington loading data is to the 5.45 x 39?

Boolit Bub
    Cases are different not only in length but diameter too. That can make a big difference in burn rates and pressures. I'm guessing it wouldn't be a great starting point. Just looking up a quickload setup for 55gr bullets they say about 18gr of Reloader 7 should be about 98% fill and 2750fps. No idea what the 222 would do with that one?

Frank

What kind of accuracy does an AK74 clone produce with reloads? With the now long gone surplus ammo, I was underwhelmed by an AR 15/5.45x39- when it would fire( HARD primers)!
    Not my bag when the .223/5.56 is the EASY button, but different strokes...

Boolit Mold
    I believe I remember seeing a video regarding differing bore sizes. Can't remember if it was a revision thing, different manufacturers, country of origin, or what the deal was. I would mic the bore if I got one of these to see what route to take.

Boolit Bub
    I don't recall the original AK74 having varying bore sizes. The semi auto guns assembled or built here had some issues early on with guys trying to use .223 barrels with a .224 bore and the russian military ammo. I'm not sure it was really as big a deal as some thought but it caught on like a brush fire with the internet gurus and was reported as a death knell to the AK74's built with american barrels. The standard bore is supposed to be .221 with a land diameter of .217 if memory serves. I've never slugged the bore in any of the AK's as the accuracy is more dependent on the rifle and shooter than the bore. Most aren't better than 2 inches at 100 due to the gas system and other crap hanging on the barrel disturbing it. I have seen some of the SSG82s shooting sub moa though with well made ammo. I think they're worth loading for as the time it takes and effort in working up loads isn't something I want to do for a blaster like the AK. I can still buy military ammo cheaper for them than it takes to load it. Love my Ak's but not for shooting golfballs or prairie dogs at longer ranges. I'll use a bolt gun for that.....just my own thoughts.

Frank

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post

Does anyone know how close .222 Remington loading data is to the 5.45 x 39?
    An old reloader friend taught me it is mostly a matter of internal case volume with the same bore size. So a comparison of case volumes would be in order. the bore of each is close enough that it will not make much difference. The 5.45mm Bore will have Slightly higher pressure/volume than a 5.56 Bore but i doubt it will be much.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

Boolit Bub
    I picked up some of the hornady brass and bullets a few months back. It all looks good. Still waiting for the dies though.....no one knows when they're going to be available.

Frank

Boolit Master

Not scientific, but I poured some H110 into a new .222 Rem case and a new (pulled the bullet) Russian 7n6 case, filled both to the bottom of the neck. The weight of the powder was almost identical, with the 7n6 case just about 2 tenths of a grain more capacity.

NOT RECOMMENDING ANY ONE DO IT, but for me, I would venture to say .222 rem load data would be very close with appropriate sized- down and same weight bullets, at least for a minimum starting point and then carefully work up. Different bullets have different bearing surfaces and ogives, etc.

Also, I have miked Tula 60 gr and Russian 7N6 53 gr bullets, and get .222" diameter. My Lee sizer is .221", so I may order a .222" sizer and give it a try. Hornady 5.45 x 29 60 Vmax mike at .2215"

Please chime in with any findings you may have.
    Last edited by Hickok; 02-21-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    The new Hornady 5.45x39 brass I checked holds 26.8 g of distilled water. Haven't gotten any further yet.

Je suis Charlie!

Boolit Master
    Steel cases for this caliber are close to the same internal volume as the new Hornady brass, 222rem cases are reportedly about a grain more internal volume so charges would need to be reduced.

Je suis Charlie!

Boolit Master
    Initial Quickloads findings from a friend show promising results with W748, Hodgdon benchmark, Alliant AR-comp and VV N-130. With proper 60g FLGC Hornady V-max bullets @2.227"OAL.

Je suis Charlie!

Boolit Bub
    The hornady dies showed up yesterday finally. Arriving soon means in a couple months I guess. Now I'm just needing load data to start playing with this. I'll fiddle with quickload for a bit. Looking around I see a few others running 4198 at 17-20gr though that wouldn't be my first choice. Can't be too hard, the russians did it. . >

Frank

Boolit Bub
    Now I'm a bit confused. Wikipedia says the CIP spec for pressure for the 5.45X39 is 55,114 psi. I see other information that states the russians and other countries that manufacture the round are loading to 41,000-44,000 psi. Not wanting to blow up a perfectly good SSG82 rifle I'm wondering what the real numbers are. I know that wiki stuff is ultra reliable (not) so anyone know where good info can be had.
    If the 55,114 psi number is actually good than Win 748 looks like a winner with the Hornady 60gr bullets.

Frank

Boolit Buddy
    55,000 should be about right. You should be able to use 222 Remington load data for it. 222 Remington has a case capacity of 26.9gr of H2O, while 5.45x39 has a case capacity of 27gr of H20.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast