WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big is this Black bear?

Boolit Buddy

How big is this Black bear?

While I'm not a bear hunter, recent experience on our deer hunting property may motivate my conversion.

First photo is of me (509 in height and honest 220 lbs)trimming under the deer feeder. Two years ago my spinner motor got knocked clean off the feeder drum- by a bear I'm guessing, so it got replaced with a sturdier unit. This year I had moved the game cams in around the feeder and captured images of a mob of Turkeys and a few deer, until the bear came to nibble.

Second and third photos are of my new nemesis. I found the bent pole legs and the spinner motor unit (mauled into scrap), but am still looking for the plastic barrel (or its remains!) in the tall grass.

Fourth and fifth photo is a bear, but I feel that it might be a different one, opinions?

I'm open to baiting or calling the bear but have no experience in either. Woods and terrain up here are not conducive to spot and stalk (too thick).

Lastly, while I'm capable of skinning and tanning the pelt (wall rug), I am curious about eating Bear. IS it decent or not table fare? can anybody suggest any tutorials/ resources for the budding bear hunter?

The next deer feeder WILL be a steel drum, mounter between three tall posts, up above this fella's reach, with angle iron "cage" around the spinner box!!! Also it WILL get installed a fair distance further from the cabin; I don't need these guys any closer than accidental!

And yes, IF I hunt this bear, THEN It will be done with a CB- most likely my Marlin 1895 in .45-70 with the Ruger BH .45 Colt slung across my chest for unexpected close angles...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?
    attachmentid=45668&stc=1&d=1341238163
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...1&d=1341238163
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT0377.jpg   PICT1436.jpg   PICT1439.jpg   PICT1450.jpg   PICT1451.jpg  

You don't look that tall.

Looks like a 250-300 lb bear. Healthy too. Good eating if they aren't eating trash or fish.

You already have him baited, just keep feeding him till he's in season.

When season comes go to the donut shop and get the old stuff they were going to throw away. Bears are like kids can't resist sweets.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'd call it about 250#.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    5' nose to tail not real big, but should have a lot more insulation on him by season though.
    If you can, suspend that feeder a little higher inbetween trees where he can't reach it.
    Eat 'em. It's my favorite. let the meat age at 35*-40* a few days before cutting up and packaging.
    Calling works if you do it constantly, so is best if one is in sight. Buddy system is good if you are blind calling because they can sneak up behind you undetected, don't ask how I know that.
    I don't hunt over bait. I can't sit in a stand anyway, I was disabled for many years and don't like to be still. I like to spot and stalk. What got me really hooked on bar huntin, was the time that a black was hunting me.

If I was hunting that feeder, I'd put out something like sardines or tuna occasionally along with donunts and whatever else, bear aren't picky, keep him coming to your set. Make him his own feeder, some distance away, so he won't tear down the deer feeder, maybe. Then when you go to hunt it open a can of tuna and climb in the tree.

Make a candy bucket- that will keep him there. http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showth...highlight=bear

Bear also like that stuff deer cain black magic.

Boolit Buddy
    214 lbs

Banned

bears usually look much bigger than they really are.
    but judging the front shoulders and head i'll go with the 250 range also.

Boolit Master

Yep, agree with the panel. 250 to 275 tops

Looks about 180 to me. Of course it'll fatten up by start of hunting season.

Boolit Master
    The only way I've found bear meat acceptable t eat is made into pepper sticks or other "slim Jim" type of treats. I have had steaks and roast, wouldnt walk to the table to eat it.
    Some people love it

Boolit Grand Master

Two Christmas' ago I was given some frozen bear stew meat - cut into chunks. I have no idea how the meat was treated before I got it, I know it was from a small bear. I cooked it in a slow cooker with sweet white wine, savory spices, and sweet potatoes and apples. It was the hit of the dinner even tho it was only one of four meat dishes available. Cook it completely and treat it like a very lean pork or wild boar.

By the ears I'd guess on the small size, 150-180lbs for that one now.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I made some maple glazed and smoked hams, that were great. It also makes good pastrami and sausage.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

Looks plenty big enough to make lots of sausage.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Being I'm from the Range. (Bear River up near Togo) From what I see in your pix's it's hard to guess just which gender this bruin is. I'm pretty sure its a male your dealing with though. The time of year pix were taken there would be a cub or two bouncing around in the back ground looking to feast with mom. (Ear size and shape of its head seen straight on is how one tells the difference between a bore and sow.) Maybe 3-325 for now in weight and He's going to get heavier thru the Summer. Not bashful about doing his thing I can see. I would suggest you pull or hang your next feeder up high in a tree by a cable over any tripod arrangement. Otherwise this Big Boy after cleaning out your next feeder of its corn might early one morn may decide to stop by for breakfast when frying bacon or fish on the stove. One thing Bear have is a good sense of smell going for them. Like I said earlier something this size isn't bashful. Where I was raised Sir. Bear were considered: "Piglet snatching, Chicken stealing, garbage eating, varmints!!" Even a lowly sneaky Weasel smells better than a Bear does in the Summer time. As far a bear meat goes. Some like it some don't. I'm of the latter myself. I prefer a small Spike over a bear anytime for kitchen fair. Good luck with your uninhibited new live stock Sir.

Well I sure could be mistaken, but if you're 5-9, 220 that bears at least 6ft standing upright. In this country thats a pretty large blacky. I'll bet it's in the 300lb range right now and gonna get heavier...oooooo doooonuts..

Boolit Master
    275-280# Looks like some fine roasts and sausages on the hoof. That is nature's way of keeping meat fresh.

Boolit Buddy
    i would bet a couple hundred dollars that that bear is not over 200 pounds in the photo. notice how "long" his legs look, and how big his ears look. that bear is probably only a 2 year old. they look quite a bit bigger than they really are. if he were anywhere near the 250 to 300 mark his belly would be quite a bit closer to the ground.
    i would not shoot a bear that size, i would guess him to be in the 175 to 185 range. a 300 pound bear is a decent sized bear, and it takes them a few years to get that big. sows rarely get that big.

Good solid 275, maybe closer to 300. He's beefier than you by a good 30% from what I see in that standing photo.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

He might be around 200, look how long his legs look. I bet he is what a teenager would be in a human. If the head looks small in relationship to the body it's usually a big bear. If he looks long and lanky its usually a younger one. Just my opinion. I love hunting black bear.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

If you hunt over bait. Make up a bunch of popcorn and scared it all over around the bait. It keeps them occupied and will usually give you a good shot. Popcorn's cheap.

I used to like hunting over bait until one day when my wife and I were sitting there waiting and a great big brown bear came in and figured out that we were there. That was the most intense situation I have ever been in. You would have thought that bear was on crack cocaine he was so jacked up. Lucky for us he was just bluff charging. He was getting braver every time. After we were back safe at the truck, my wife said She will never go hunting again ever!!!! But the next year she got a nice black bear on a spot and stock hunt. She still will not hunt over bait though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast