Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pressure and temp for different lubes

Banned

Pressure and temp for different lubes

Starting a list here for lube types lube pressures and temps.

Hopefully this can grow into a nice source for starting to use different lubes.

a 50%/50% mix of Alox beeswax requires roughly a temp of 71deg, 35lbs air pressure on the cylinder
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 07-02-2012 at 06:47 AM.

Banned
    I would request that we do not get into peeing contests on this thread but stick to pressure and temp readings required to obtain good results. I am also requesting temp reading with units fitted with PID control as they will give optimum accuracy. Maybe the next poster can list their pressure and temp readings like I have do and continue a list.

Banned
    The "Red Lube Sticks" from Ballisti-cast.

Pressure and temp ideas?

Temperature of 105-115
    Pressure 25-60 psi

The lube should have a play dough like consistency when the temperature is correct. This makes it soft enough for the air cylinder to force it into the injection cylinder. The injection cylinder can generate 500+ psi of compression at the bottom of the stroke so the only concern is that the lube is warm enough and the pressure high enough on the lube tube to fill the injection cylinder at the top of the stroke when the handle is up. If the lube gets to warm and runny or there is too much pressure from the regulator on the lube tube you may run into lube squishing out of the holes in the size die at the wrong time and getting on the nose of the bullet as it slides through the die.

Boolit Buddy
    on my Air Assisted Star lubing/sizing 357"dia single groove bullets i use the Magma Blue Lube at a PID controlled 130° at 55psi...no lube on the ogive...at a rate of about 500 bullets in 15 minutes....

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Master

I think you are being to simplistic. There are so many variables at work here, different types of bullets with from 1 to 5 lube grooves, small lube grooves, very large lube grooves, outside temperature, caliber, and probably more I haven't even thought of. The best way to find out what works is to experiment, and I don't really see any way to shortcut that. Experience counts for quite a bit also.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Springfield View Post
    I think you are being to simplistic. There are so many variables at work here, different types of bullets with from 1 to 5 lube grooves, small lube grooves, very large lube grooves, outside temperature, caliber, and probably more I haven't even thought of. The best way to find out what works is to experiment, and I don't really see any way to shortcut that. Experience counts for quite a bit also.
    I had tried to get a simple table going with different lubes, temps and so. You have brought up another good point the number of grooves, caliber and so forth. Maybe, just maybe a thread like this might possibly have a chance if people would make suggestions like " You should expand upon what you are trying to do and maybe you might have something here" The purpose of starting a thread like this is simply to try to mass some information on what a person might just simply try. The purpose of this thread is just to come close to a starting point for a person to adjust his or her heater to and pressure gauge to. Nothing in this life is an absolute but maybe if we try to work with people on some of these threads with a positive attitude a simple contribution might go wonders in putting some simple information together. So, apparently I have been too simplistic in what I was trying to do. Please post your Excel spread sheet with bullet size, outside temp, type of lube, air pressure and any other variable you consider to be of value and I'm sure it will be a positive addition to this thread. As you mentioned there is not shortcut and experience counts for quite a bit also so why not share this valuable experience you have in a positive light?

Magma Hard Lube: 30PSI at 120 degrees works for me.

Boolit Buddy

Lube Master - 60 PSI Magma hard Lube 128deg F for large bullets, 128deg 40psi for small bullets like 9mm 124 and 115g
    USN 86-92
    USAR 96-2013 Retired.
    CW3 USAR - 919A "Maintenance is our Passion"

Boolit Buddy
    Magma Blue Lube....130degrees, 50psi for all bullets....
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Banned

E-yellow room temp and 50 psi on the stars. [the modified version takes 40 psi]
    E-purple room temp and 45 psi average.
    moly complex needs 65 psi at room temp.
    carnuba red is 105-f and bout 40 psi.
    bac takes about 90-f and 55 psi.
    thats all i can recall off the top of my head right now.

Boolit Master
    Dear friends,

got my Star sizer,
    got my dies from Chris,
    air system and heated base are on the way here.

I´ve read a lot of ups and downs in this forums with the Star.

It seems to me, as an absolute beginner, that it all comes down with the right temperature und pressure for the lube.
    This decides between a great happiness or a total mess and desaster.

So I think I will be ready to run my system in the middle of the next week, and am a little bit anxious about what will happen.
    I think this thread is very useful, especially for the beginners, like me.

My problem is, that I´m using my own lube, which doesn´t exist inhere.
    It is a pretty weak / soft lube, which I´ve used with big success in my LAM II since now.
    Is a harder lube better for the Star?

My lube is
    700g of beeswax
    300g of waterfree lanolin
    1 spoon of floor wax
    1 spoon of roller-bearing grease

What do you guys think, is there any (weak) lube inhere, which may have the same consistence and give me a "starting load".

I could add some paraffin, to make it harder too, if needed.

Begging for any advice.

Boolit Master
    Really nobody?

Banned
    Well, I guess you will have to learn the hard way unfortunately. I started the thread trying to get a list of pressures and temps but as you can see it hasn't had much of a following. How is your lube in room temp? If its flexible and you can move it on your fingers it won't take much heat or pressure. I would start without anyheat and about 35psi and see if it fills the lube grooves and if it doesn't after 4 or 5 bullets raise the pressure slightly and see what happens. I would go up to about 45 psi before I added any heat and when adding heat go slowly about 5 degrees over ambient and working up from there slightly.

Boolit Master
    Thanks to you for your responce.

Well, the lube isn´t hard, but when I´m using it cold in my LAMII, it fills the lube grooves, but is white at the margins of the grooves.
    So I laid my desklamp sideways close to the LAMII and after a while the lube was weaker and filled the grooves very nicely.

I will do what you say, start with low pressure and see what happens.

If it doesn´t work at 45psi, I will add some heat.

Thank you!

Banned
    Well it takes some fooling around to obtain good results. My personal results differed between the MArk VI Ballisti-cast and the magma/star.

Boolit Master
    I use 60 psi for all my hard lubes and temps from 100-120 degrees f......currently using Carnauba red lube.

Boolit Master
    What's the highest pressure you've run at?
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I find 60 is upper limit . Prob somewhere about 50-60. Though keep in mind pressure and heat (temp) are in direct prop .

Boolit Grand Master

The single biggest problem with trying to make a list like that is room temp. If your sizing in a climate controlled room (heat and A/C) where it is always the same temp, say 72 degrees such a list could be handy if your using so many different lubes that you can't remember. If your like most of us and the loading room temp can and does vary widely such a list would be nearly useless. There is a huge difference in lubrisizer heated base/air pressure settings between winter loading room temp of 45 or cooler and summer possibly 95 degrees or higher.

A temp swing of only 20 degrees is 40 degrees variation, that's big and is what will determine how to set both heat and pressure. It's common for me to go in the loading room, turn on the furnace, set the lube heater and pressure and start sizing. As the room warms up I'm turning down both the lube heater and pressure. The only way around this would be a PID controlled lube heater, this way you could determine at what heat/pressure your lube works best with which boolit and regardless of room temp the PID would keep the lube at that temp and since the lube is always at the same temp air pressure wouldn't need to change.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast