MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "finding the dot" in an ultradot

Isn't Raton where that mystical group of hand gunners meet every year? Did you make the Holiday?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    These things must work, but boy, everytime I use one, my head is wobbling all over the place. I need to mount one on a 22 and get a whole heap of cheap ammo and go for it. They must work, I just can't seem to get them to cooperate whenever I get to shoot one.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tek4260 View Post
    Isn't Raton where that mystical group of hand gunners meet every year?
    Indeed it is.....
    Semper Fidelis

Have RDs on my big bores for field use ~ Seemingly, the bigger the caliber, the more downward the static muzzle point making it more difficult to find the dot quickly. Knowing where the dot usually is outside the box helps but what about a charging bear? Benching paper targets I see lil' differences but that may be just me as after load developement, I shoot very little paper.

My 475L seems to be the most as even w/irons, one can't help noticing just how tall the front blade has to be ~ still, the irons seems to have an edge at being located quickly. Still, I do use RDs for their other advantages.

I find the capture range of the 30mm to be preferred over the 25mm YMMV
    Last edited by odoh; 07-06-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Boolit Master

If red-dots were slower than iron sights, all of the IPSC and steel type guys would NOT be using them in the classes that allow them.

Was at Raton because my boy Chris was attending the Whittington Center Adventure Camp and I had to get him back home.

Grandpa, me, and Chris all shot the Buffalo in the black a few times with my Rem 700 5R Milspec .308 and my handloads. He's 1123yds/1025 meters away with a 16" black circle in the kill zone. My scope was out of up (no 20moa base or anything) so we were holding on rocks on the hillside above him with 36MOA dialed in. It was easier than I thought it would be, but we were smart enough to shoot early before the wind came up.

My G20 put some hurt on the pigs on the Hunter Pistol silhouette range.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    There's no question that they are quicker or all of the go fast guys wouldn't be spending big bucks on them. I just find them awkward to use. As I said, if I put in the time to practice with them, I'd get on top of it all.

I saw Jerry Micaluk's rifle and he had a big scope for long range stuff and a red dot style scope set on an angle for quick, close up stuff. I wouldn't mind that set up on my Remington 7600 Police 308!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Buddy
    I've had an UltraDot MatchDot for many years --- It's a 30mm and I didn't realize it even came in a smaller diameter???

My MatchDot is the one with 2, 4, 6 and 8 mm dots --- no reticules.

There is (virtually) NO parallax in the MatchDots. You can test this yourself. Some cheaper makes DO have considerable parallax.

For me, the combination of 4 different size dots and 11 different illumination levels makes this sight a good one for everything from tiny targets far off in bright light to shooting Jack Rabbits and Raccoon at night.

It DID take a while to get used to finding the dot quickly (harder with the smaller dot sizes) and if I don't use it for weeks there is a slight re-learning curve.

Mine is mounted VERY LOW -- maybe this helps.

I only zeroed it once!
    Last edited by Larry in MT; 07-11-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Master

And if only the zero held on the matchdot on my BFR I wouldn't have started this thread!

(or if the warranty were unconditional)

Boolit Master
    44man , hard to believe, but I'll take your word! I've got an Eotech 512 on an AR and as you stated, the dot is all over the place! Haven't had the chance to test it yet, but your comment was comforting, to say the least. I thought I was taken the first time I looked "thru" that sight...... Lee
    Been paddlin' upstream all my life, don't see no reason to turn around now.

Boolit Master

were you looking at a 50 yard target?

If you look at a 5 yard target the red dot WILL be all over the place. Stabilizes right out at 50-100.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12