Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Last Rifle - I mean it. Really!

Boolit Master

Wink My Last Rifle - I mean it. Really!

Got caught on this one. My FFL just had to call the house to say my "New Rifle" had just arrived. The wife was surprised? since I told her the Roller was IT.

Several thoughts:

1) Get a new FFL - for $25 transfer he ought to keep his mouth shut.

2) Telling her "It's just an old used H&R single shot" doesn't work as well when the shipper packs a receipt in the box.

3) She made a list of the contents of all the racks, cabinets, etc. Tough to beat.

4) I need to start buying Her some guns! I'll just keep 'em safe for her...

The culprit: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=70133330
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jim4065 View Post
    Got caught on this one. My FFL just had to call the house to say my "New Rifle" had just arrived. The wife was surprised? since I told her the Roller was IT.

Several thoughts:

1) Get a new FFL - for $25 transfer he ought to keep his mouth shut.
    Absolutely! And only give the new one your work #

2) Telling her "It's just an old used H&R single shot" doesn't work as well when the shipper packs a receipt in the box.
    Oh this old gun I've had this forever.

3) She made a list of the contents of all the racks, cabinets, etc. Tough to beat.
    Always have a safe and don't give her the combo.

4) I need to start buying Her some guns! I'll just keep 'em safe for her... Jewelry might work better, although it runs up the overall costs of your arsenal.
    The culprit: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...?Item=70133330
    You can always tell her that you sold a couple to get the new one, and there is the old stanby, they are a good investment.

Bob

Moderator Emeritus

It does look nice though. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Banned

That is a beaut.

I show her how much my guns have appreciated from time to time.

Sometimes the comment comes up when monies tight... "Well sell one of those guns", and I fire right back with, "Cash in your 401K".

That ends the argument..

Boolit Master

I traded my fledgling 401K for a Ruger Red Label when they first came out - never looked back.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't buy her guns......just buy her JEWELRY.....works ALL the time.
    So many toys........so little time.

Boolit Master
    my wife doesn't bother me about my toys, I don't bother her about hers...

My grandfather told me, about forty years ago, that the key to a long and happy marriage was to marry a woman that makes as much, or a little more than you do,
    and has been on her own for a couple years. You will never hear anything about "We/Our $$$"... so far so good.

Rich
    DRSS

Boolit Grand Master

Had a good friend who used to "Win a new gun" about three or four times a year.
    Would go to muzzle loading shoots and when he got home he would show his wife the new rifle he had just won. Wife thought he was some kind of Danial Boone, and was proud as punch of him. Probably got away with it for about 10 years until one of his friends told his wife about it, and of course you know how that went, right back to his wife. I take mine to Cabellas and show her the used gun rack and compair what I bought over the years with what is on the rack, and what I paid then and what they are now. She and I are both convinced that rifles make good investments.
    1Shirt!

Boolit Master

[ I take mine to Cabellas and show her the used gun rack and compair what I bought over the years with what is on the rack, and what I paid then and what they are now. She and I are both convinced that rifles make good investments.
    1Shirt![/QUOTE]

Absolutely, only problem is that when I cash in my "INVESTMENT" I reinvest it in a better "INVESTMENT".

Bob

Boolit Bub
    Tell her you're thinking about becoming a fisherman instead of a shooter and leave brochures for new bass boats laying around for a few days. Of course you'll have to buy a new 3/4 4x4 diesel to pull the boat......That ought to do it!
    As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. - Thomas Jefferson

Gunsmith

"Honey, would you believe how good the gunsmith made my old rifle look?
    Almost like new, don't you think?"
    Get into the details. This will be so boring she will tune you and the gun out in about 1 1/2 minutes.
    Then onto enjoying the 'refinished' rifle.
    Use to work for me right up until the divorce!
    DaveP kywoodwrkr

Boolit Grand Master

I will be married fifty years a year from now (AND, to the same woman). Every time I get a new rifle or handgun, I show it to her and tell her what I paid for it. I NEVER lie to my wife.

I can't believe you guys have to lie about a little ol' rifle purchase. Pitiful, just flat pitiful (and you call yourself a MAN). Real men don't lie to their wives. They don't have to...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    DITTO on that one Dale53
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Master

I don't lie, I just don't bring it up. I don't question the money she spends and visa versa. As long as the bills get paid and money goes into the retirement account no harm no foul. Besides it is the only vise I have anymore, well there is a brewsky at the end of a long day, and life is to short, anymore, to drink cheap beer.
    Most of the guns that I have sold in the last couple years have been sold at a profit, so they technically are an investment. For the most part that money goes back into guns though.
    BTW I've been married for 33+ years, through no fault of mine. She deserves a special place in heaven for putting up with me for that long.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Rules of 'engagment.'

1) Never lie.

2) Never answer questions that haven't been asked. Omiting to mention something that was not specifically asked is not lying, just poor interview technique by the other party I am not one to give 'advice', but after 22+ years in Law Enforcement, I have seen people get themselves in deep by talking too much at the wrong time.

3) Remember the first rule of holes= stop digging!

4) Concentrate on the positive (rare, collector's item).

How's that song go? "We ain't wrong, we ain't sorry and it's probably gonna happen again!"
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 05-23-2007 at 09:01 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master

There's a difference between a lie and blowing smoke. Smoke is camoflage, pure and simple. Ethical in love and war. My wife of many years enjoys verbal fencing, makes more than I do (right now), and spends her money as she sees fit - as do I. None of that prevents us from pointing out the others foibles when the time is right. She also knows that I trade guns, and is more concerned with "safety" issues than other things. She has her hobbies, I have mine. Some we share while others provide convenient "bones of contention". We stopped posturing years ago, at least in public, but I can see where that might be fun, too.

Boolit Master
    You guys just think you have problems. I introduced my girlfriend to shooting about two years ago. Last year I was the only one at our annual club shooting match that she didn't beat... and I only beat her by one silhouette! Now she owns seven guns and just bought a gun safe. She even bought me a Marlin Cowboy for my birthday. She's turning out to be a worse gun nut than I am. Now what's a man to do with a gal like that?

Lovedogs - Answer to your question....marry her!

As to the acquisition of firearms best to tell her you told her about the purchase two months ago and suggest to her that foregetfulness is a sign of aging. Should work once and be good for at least two guns before you are on the carpet thinking about all the reason why new guns should not have large front sights on them....

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedogs View Post
    You guys just think you have problems. I introduced my girlfriend to shooting about two years ago. Last year I was the only one at our annual club shooting match that she didn't beat... and I only beat her by one silhouette! Now she owns seven guns and just bought a gun safe. She even bought me a Marlin Cowboy for my birthday. She's turning out to be a worse gun nut than I am. Now what's a man to do with a gal like that?

"Now what's a man to do with a gal like that?"

Marry her quick!!!!!

PS, I forgot, practice harder or get used to getting your a$$ smacked when she gets a bit more experience.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    buy her a bigger caliber(flinch) and practice more(U).
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast