MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Scope base identification help

Boolit Master

Scope base identification help

Good morning,

I recently purchased a Marlin XT22VR that came with d/t'd scope bases on the receiver. I scrounged around and found a pair of weaver rings, mounted a 22 scope and went shooting. I noticed the gun was having problems keeping zero. I thought it might be the old rings, or the cheap 22 scope, so I ordered some Burris Zee rings and took off the old scope. I noticed the bases weren't completely secure. When I removed one, I noticed the edges weren't narrowed and both the new rings and the old rings failed to sit flat on the base, and were canted. I'm not very familiar with scope bases/mounts, so I hope someone can either identify the base type, or if this is a manufacturer's error. Some of these new Marlins are getting through QC with minor flaws. Below is a link to a picture of one of the bases. Thanks for your help.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86...2/IMG_0009.jpg
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    If those are Weaver bases, there should be a number stamped on the underside of the bases.
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

If they are Weaver bases (and from your photo, I'm not certain that it is a Weaver base) they should be marked with a number 12 which is the correct Weaver base for the XT22. The base in your photo looks similar to a Weaver, but the wide flat edge doesn't look quite right.

I know the XT22 comes from Marlin already drilled and tapped for scope bases, but I'm pretty sure it does not actually come with the bases. It's possible that someone stuck the wrong bases on it. Here's a link to the Weaver Base application charts.

If your bases are not both marked #12, they're the wrong bases.

HTH . . . Doug
    Last edited by dpaultx; 06-29-2012 at 06:40 AM.
    NRA Life Member

But the People, in their weeping, bare the iron hand.
    Beware the People weeping, when they bare the iron hand.
    . . . . "The Martyr", Herman Melville, 1865

Boolit Master
    they could be tasco bases. tasco made some, regular weaver rings don't fit. finish looks tasco.

Boolit Master
    If they are Weaver bases...
    I'm not sure what kind they are. The first pair of ringswere weaver.

I know the XT22 comes from Marlin already drilled and tapped for scope bases, but I'm pretty sure it does not actually come with the bases. It's possible that someone stuck the wrong bases on it. Here's a link to the Weaver Base application charts.
    The XT22VR model does come with bases included. My particular rifle came direct from my distributor (I'm an FFL). The rifle was untouched after leaving the manufacturer.

If your bases are not both marked #12, they're the wrong bases.

HTH . . . Doug
    The bases are unmarked. The large flat edge is what I find most perplexing. Like I mentioned, I'm not a scope mount expert, as I just recently started scoping some of my rifles, but compared to all the other scope bases and accessory rails I have, they are very dissimilar.

Thanks for the info thus far. I'm going to look into those Tasco bases.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master
    you might look at the frontier mount. leupold might have made it. I remember it was a different mount, but never saw one

Boolit Master
    I've come to the conclusion these mounts are products of poor manufacturing. No other mount on the planet lacks beveled points like these do, and no rings I can find fit. It's too much of a hassle to send the gun in for replacement, so I'll just be looking for some #12s.
    -Gaelic Proverb