WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I hope you guys don't hate me for this...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    I've said this before and I'll say it again:

"If these BP substitutes are so great............why didn't they invent them first"?

If the firearm was designed for BP.............then you better use BP!

RRR
    Does that hold true for all things invented first?

Like clubs, throwing rocks, and archery?
    How about just hazing buffalo off a cliff?
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    since it contains KIK black powder, CM

I can't dispute that it does contain KIK black powder, and indeed do not doubt that it does, because I had no idea what's in it but I sure can't see anything about the stuff that even hints of real BP. Having used several cans of the stuff I like it quite well for smokeless shooting and it's a MUCH better choice than Trail Boss in big cases but in IMHO it's just that, a bulky smokeless, so it just don't fit in with BP shooting. In the case of an indoor range situation as was mentioned or any other situation where smokeless might be chosen then BH is a good choice IF it's chosen as a smokeless loading and not an attempt to pass off as BP.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    The folks that own this old Ballard rifle didn't want to shoot blackpowder either... a case of blackpowder is cheap just comparing the ambulance ride to the airport,,
    Is that Ballard the one a woman lost three fingers from when it blew up? IIRC, remember reading something about a cast Ballard receiver where the barrel had been relined to .45-65 (or some such) and she was shooting smokeless in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    The o/p likes to shoot at an indoor range where they won't let him use BP or BP subs.
    They will let him use Trail Boss, but he is unimpressed with it's hundred yard groups.
    (I might be impressed by an indoor range where 100 yard groups can be fired ...)

So, he wants to know more about BlackHorn 209. Since it's a BP sub, I don't know what makes him think they will allow it in the range, and since it contains KIK black powder, I imagine they will complain even more.

But, now you know why this BP sub/smokeless thread is running.

CM

I would shoot something else indoors if that's the case. Short of smokeless I dont see any indoor range warming up to a BP substitute. Once they see the mushroom cloud coming out of the gun they likely will not care and shut you down.
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Boolit Master
    It is understandable about banning the use of BP on indoor ranges.

Decades ago I used to hang around the old Chicago Gun Center shop in Chicago, ILL. I talked them into letting me shoot an original .36 caplock ML rifle I had just bought couple times on indoor range. (with the exhaust system on high) They still caught hell from shooters for days about the smell.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    It is understandable about banning the use of BP on indoor ranges.

Decades ago I used to hang around the old Chicago Gun Center shop in Chicago, ILL. I talked them into letting me shoot an original .36 caplock ML rifle I had just bought couple times on indoor range. (with the exhaust system on high) They still caught hell from shooters for days about the smell.

I had a TC Patriot .45 target pistol I fired at a local indoor range. It was a 50/50 like / dislike from other shooters. BP really does need the great outdoors.

Fire a pair of cap & ball revolvers indoors and the swat team will think your popping smoke for cover.....
    NRA certified pistol instructor & RSO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12