RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Lube "Back In The Day"?

Boolit Master

Lube "Back In The Day"?

Hello, everyone. Lots of interesting posts on bullet lubes..especially the home grown variety. Some guys are worrying about keeping lube cool in hot weather..others even advise storing in fridge.
    I got to thinking..back in the 70's..the 1870's that is..I don't think it was any cooler out on the plains in summer than now... No matter what Mr. Gore says.
    What magical concotion did the buffalo hunters use to prevent their lubed "naked" and patched slugs from turning into dripping disasters?
    I am thinking straight tallow or tallow/beeswax.

Boolit Master
    A lot of the older references mention sperm whale oil for various purposes. IF you're a buffalo hunter, what kind of tallow would you have free for the taking in vast quantities. Elmer Keith mentioned elk tallow grease cookies in his black powder loads for original SHARPS rifles, IIRC.

I need to do more reading, but it seems like commercial buffalo hunting was more of a cold weather venture since the winter hides would be better.