Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Hodgdon Leverevolution and 173gr 30-30 cast help please.

Hogdon Leverevolution and 173gr 30-30 cast help please.

Hey fellow casters, I gave my brother some of the mentioned cast boolits and all he has for powder is Leverevolution.
    Whats a good start weight?

Super BIG Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Huntsman; 06-26-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Use the excellent Hodgdon web site with reloading data as your source to cross reference
    any info you get at any web site. Even from me. No offense to any one but people make
    mistakes and you need better and more authoritative sources than the web.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I couldn't agree more with the advice above to go to the manufacturer or load manuals. Nothing against anyone as I don't think anyone here would intentionally mislead you, but who among us has NOT mistyped something at some point in our lives.

Boolit Grand Master

Read this thread; http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...LeveRevolution

You'll find some interesting information andpressure tested data on some jacketed and cast bullets using LeveRevolution powder in the 30-30. Post #49 will answer your queston specifically.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master

Larry,

Just a note of thanks for all your excellent work with your fine equipment. Very generous of
    you to post your results with cast, since there is relatively little cast data out there - especially
    with the new powders like this one.

Great write-ups, sir. Much appreciated.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Larry,

Just a note of thanks for all your excellent work with your fine equipment. Very generous of
    you to post your results with cast, since there is relatively little cast data out there - especially
    with the new powders like this one.

Great write-ups, sir. Much appreciated.

Bill
    Couldn't agree more, can't wait to try it in my thutty-thutty but it's showing promise in my 32 WS.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks guys, just my pleasure to pass on information and knowledge to help out where I can. All part of loving our hobby/sport.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Larry,
    Thank you for your information using Leverevolution powder in the 30-30 Win. Just this past
    Spring I tried Leverevolution powder in my 1958 Marlin 336SC chambered in .32 Win Special.
    I tried Leverevolution with my RCBS 08-170 cast bullet weighing 182gr lubed and checked. My
    load produced 2300fps muzzle velocity with EXCELLENT accuracy. That load actually exceeds
    the speed of 180gr .300 Savage factory loads that I have tested to date. My testing of Leverevolution powder in the 30-30 with 150gr and 170gr Sierra flat points mirrors your velocities, albeit, with lower powder charges and my 20" barreled carbine Marlin 336W. I was able to achieve 2447fps with the 150gr Sierra and 2335fps with the 170gr Sierra.

First target is the 08-170 bullet at 2300fps and the second target is the Ranch Dog bullet 323-170, also at 182gr using 2400 powder at 1744fps. I really do believe that Leverevolution powder when used in appropriate applications is one of the best new powders out there.
    Thanks for listening.
    358 Win

Boolit Grand Master

358Win

Well, nice targets and shooting. I've found LeveRevolution to be an excellent powder but it has a narrow band of use. Some have used it outside that band and not had good results and then bad mouth the powder which is unfortunate. When used correctly, as you've done it is excellent and gives a very good increase in performance.

Larry Gibson

I've run it from 20 to 30 gr behind a RD311165 and LC 310170, GC, Marlin 336 30-30. @ 35 I got powder burning past the muzzle. Worked OK with or without dacron filler. My accuracy load is about 23 gr. Works really good for FTX jacketed also.

Boolit Mold
    Larry,
    I recently purchased a Marlin Xlr 30-30 new because of its 1 in 12 twist, 24 inch barrel.
    Slugged out at .301 and .309.
    Loaded lvr powder behind a Lyman 311041 cast from no.2 water dropped. Checked, alox lubed and sized .311. Weight 175 gr
    32-34 gr lvr is giving 3-4 inch 3 shot groups at 100 y.
    I've loaded some test rounds with 28 gr and 30 gr to try and tighten the groups.
    Any idea of approximate velocity and rpm with 28 and 30 gr loads.
    What do you think would be the minimum useful charge using lvr before it would be better to substitute for another powder.
    My aim is to get an accurate, hunting load for pigs.
    Thanks for your help.