Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heavy for caliber 460 projectile take two

Heavy for caliber 460 projectile take two

I was over on Accurate Molds and found this. What do ya'll think?

Duane

Ps, See how much I have been corrupted by this sight!!!!!

45-500 S

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    Seems like it would work real good for taking out 6 or 7 zombies standing in a row!

Boolit Grand Master
    wow!! thats a long rascal
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I would opt for larger and fewer lube grooves..
    Shape is good but the tumble lube isn't what I would go for in seating it long if i could.

If I didn't like the PB I would look at this one...

a 465 gr plain base

The next that is usable for me would be 400gr "a," "b," or "d."

A

B

D
    Last edited by TCTex; 06-26-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Adding pictures...
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I've come to the conclusion over the years that for a given caliber, there is a point at which, more weight does not equate to more terminal performance. There is a point at which, if you want more, you need to up the dia of the bullet and the weight. In a 45 caliber handgun, I believe you'll find that going past 400 gr's really only buys you bragging rights, and empties your furnace faster.

I like the nose profile of D but would opt for a 0.08" front driving band over the dual crimp grooves.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do believe that these are intended for a rifle
    but if not I agree 110%
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post
    I've come to the conclusion over the years that for a given caliber, there is a point at which, more weight does not equate to more terminal performance. There is a point at which, if you want more, you need to up the dia of the bullet and the weight. In a 45 caliber handgun, I believe you'll find that going past 400 gr's really only buys you bragging rights, and empties your furnace faster.

I like the nose profile of D but would opt for a 0.08" front driving band over the dual crimp grooves.
    I agree completely.
    Semper Fidelis

Not a problem and I am listen 100%! I have just had a lot of encouragement to shoot a 500gr projectile out of my 17.5in Encore in 460 S&W.

I agree there is a balance between caliber and weight, however, part of the reason I was posting this was because of the comments of the lack of heavy weight 45cal hunting bullets. I thought these would do nicely.

I would like to buy one, it is just going to have to wait awhile… LOL It will get there with time.

Benjamin Franklin

you might check the molds from the 340-360 range and if you don't like what you see Tom can make what you want. I'd opt for a long nose 360gr. but I don't know much about bullet designing

Quote Originally Posted by paul h View Post

Less is probably OK too. A 325 gr out of a 454 7 2/1" FA went lengthwise through a moose about 5' of penetration.

Boolit Master
    Some don't get it. the man just wants to experiment with a "heavy" bullet.
    He never said he thought it takes a 500 grain bullet to kill anything.
    He never said molding the things would be as economical as a lighter bullet
    He just wants to have fun with something unusual.
    He didn't ask for a lesson in ballistic balance in a cartridge or a lesson on what would be the ideal bullet weight.
    He ask what people thought of THAT bullet for him to experiment with.
    If we all just stuck with what we needed most of us would have many fewer guns and probably more money.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    If we all just stuck with what we needed most of us would have many fewer guns and probably more money.
    44Mag#1-God Bless you!

My 460 Shoots a 250gr FTX at 2400 very well. I bought a 300gr Lee mold a few month ago and just thought about using it... LOL

As for the current debate at hand, what WOULD be an optimum bullet weight for the 460 S&W in a 17in Encore?

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    At the velocities attainable in that cartridge a 340 gr LBT LFN GC would be what I would want.
    I have one that works real well in a blackhawk 45 colt with 22 gr H110.
    Don't let the nay sayers deter you from getting that 500 gr mold.
    If you do it will be in the back of your mind thinking that you should have tried it.
    I still would like a wider heavier lube grooves though.
    After going to the Accurate Mold site I see why you picked that mold.
    It is designed for the 460.
    You can still try to seat it out as far as you can though.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 06-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Some don't get it. the man just wants to experiment with a "heavy" bullet.
    He never said he thought it takes a 500 grain bullet to kill anything.
    He never said molding the things would be as economical as a lighter bullet
    He just wants to have fun with something unusual.
    He didn't ask for a lesson in ballistic balance in a cartridge or a lesson on what would be the ideal bullet weight.
    He ask what people thought of THAT bullet for him to experiment with.
    I get what he was asking, and expressed my thoughts based on having personally used an overly heavy for caliber bullet in a big bore handgun. Was I somehow rude in expressing my thoughts? He did ask about 400gr designs before I replied as well. As this is a handgun forum I had assumed we were discussing the 460 in a revolver, turns out the firearm in question is a single shot rifle, which changes things a bit.

Heck, if you want to launch 500's and you have a fast enough barrel twist, go for it. I'd do a chamber cast to see what the dimensions of your throat are, and go from there. Tom will make a mold to your design, so design a bullet to fit your gun. I would suggest a meplat in the 75-80% range and make the bullet nose as long as practical to fit your guns chamber, and slap a gas check on the back. I'd go with more conventional lube grooves over tumble lube and depending on how much of the bullet is in the case I'd play around with driving band width in the 0.06-0.07 range to see how many lube grooves you can get on the bullet.

Boolit Master
    Rude no. but most like myself at times answer questions that were not even asked. I try to watch that nowadays but at times still slip up.
    We all take someone that has few post as someone that is inexperienced. That is not always true. We all started somewhere on these forums that doesn't mean we are on the bottom rung in knowlege.
    I shoot a 515 grain bullet at times in a 12 inch Encore barrel in 454 Casull.
    That is the reason I am more in tune with this guy than most.

The point is he asked for an opinion. I gave mine. I have shot 425gr and found it was pointless. 300-350gr is what seems to work best on the heavy side.

Once again my opinion. If he wants he can go to 600gr, I don't care.

Banned

Why argue? We all know a gun has limit due to twist and velocity.
    yeah, it is true! You just can not go too heavy. Neither can you go too light.
    The worst thing is to spend money for out of the norm to find it fails.
    My bandwagon has always been to never waste your money.
    If you have a lot of money, failure is an option.

Boolit Master
    Before this turns into a velocity/twist/bullet weight arguement /fiasco according to T/C the twist rate for their 460 S&W barrels is 1-16 twist.
    Many 45/70's utilize 1-18 to 1-20 twist barrels such as the sharps replicas and even the Marlin 45/70 is a 1-20. Bullets heavier than 500 grains will stablize very well in them at lower velocities than TCTEX will get out of his 460 S&W barrel.
    If it won't work in his barrel than the 45/70 users must all be crazy and all these good LLLLOOOONNNGGGG range matches they shoot with excellent results all must be fabricated in a very devious way just to confuse and confound all of us.
    Outside of him finding out he doesn't like the bullet what harm has he done?
    He knows how deep his pockets are without us telling him.
    He will have fun finding out and that is what it is about in these trying times.
    If he can't afford some money to donate to the rat hole then he needs to quit experimenting, pick a load from a book and be satisfied and shoot just enough to keep his hand in so to speak.
    TCTEX have at it I support you one hundred percent.

Ya’ll are still awesome. It is amazing what happens when you keep an open mind. With my first initial post I was worried over how heavy a bullet my barrel would stabilize. I worded my question less than desirable and consequently the responses reflected my direct question. The outcome was simple realized the sky was the limit.

All my real intentions include finding a good cast hunting bullet mold for my 460 S&W. Accurate molds have a plethora to choose from for 365 to 500. What weight bullet would be optimal? This rig is for practical hunting on med to large game. This rig is defiantly one that would be considered if I ever had the chance to go on an elk hunt.

It is funny really, I am a prolific poster over on handgunhunt. However I have said more than once not to judge my merit by how many posts I have made but the content in the posts themselves. In short, the last time I tried walking on water… … … I got wet!! LOL

Just remember I am here to learn and I have been soaking up both sides of this conversation. All I want to know is where the happy medium is… LOL

Take Care, God Bless, and thank everyone for their responses and passionate answers, it means we care!!!

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast