Load DataWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Martini Mauser update

Beekeeper

Martini Mauser update

As many of you know I built a Martini / Mauser using a Gahendra Martini Henry parts rifle and a barrel off of a 43 Mauser.
    So here is the first good range report.
    First I built a rear sight , copying one that Buckshot has one one of his rifles. It was good to excellant out to 400 yards and then I ran out of elevation.
    Some of the BP match shooters at the range I go to gave me a couple of Pederisoli sights and I remanufactored the base and mounted it on the rifle.
    Today I sighted it in from 100 to 600 yards and have 1/2 or more of the sight left so I think I will be able to go farther than the range has to offer.
    Accuracy was excellent and the gentleman who kindly spotted for me was a great held.I must have done something right as I had a couple of the BP match shooters come down to see just what I was shooting.
    One accused me of buying a Sharps and not saying anything to them

All in all the old girl performed great and I am greatly pleased with her accuracy and decor.

I think I should stop while I am ahead but I am going to see just how far shee will go.
    Need to get a heavier boolit to go much further tho

beekeeper

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    What bullet are you shooting in that?
    I was really surprised when I found that the 380 gr patched bullet in my 44-77 would reach to 800 yds with plenty enough accuracy to stay on the Quigley buffalo.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Beekeeper
    I use the Lyman 446110 GG sized to .446 at 360 gr with my alloy and I use the Lyman 439186 PP to .446 or .449 at 380 gr with my alloy.
    Having never shot the 600 and800 yard targets I was defering to the Sharps shooters that tell me "you can't get there from here" with anything less than 400 to 450 grain.
    I use 70 grains of Black diamond FFG and a emerts lube Grease cookie for P/P and same powder charge with a playing card wad for the GG.

beekeeper

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    You probably won't have much trouble getting to 800, beyond that might get a little dicey.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    You keep talking and I wil have tol put a Mauser barrel on my Gahendra when I get around to putting a temper in the spring. Way to hot for an old man to be out in the shop the fix will have to wait till Fall 103 and rising right now.
    Frank G.

Beekeeper

Update

Hopefully I can still post here!
    Seems I am persona non grata elsewhere as I had the temerity to attach a Mauser barrel to a Martini frame " sacreligious don't you know"

Today I was able to shoot the Martini Mauser for distance.
    Had some problems that had to be ironed out first.
    I am happy to say I rang the gong at 855 yards (only once but I did ring it)
    The rifle has performed all of the tests I wanted to make after building it so now I can safely pack her in cosmoline and put her away.
    Will be nice to start on something else.
    Got a bunch of Mosins I want to shoot and get on target.

I am quite proud of the old Martini Mauser
    Gahendra Parts gun $89.00
    Mauser barrel $7.99
    stock wood $25.00
    Lyman front sight $34.00
    Pederisoli rear sight "free. the best kind"
    So for a total of $155.99 I have had more than a years fun and have been busy doing what I love to do.
    Not too bad for an expensive hobby.

Was thinking about doing a couple more but caught a lot of flac over it so will pass and work on other guns I already have.
    Thought you might like to know the final outcome!

beekeeper

Boolit Master

Beekeeper
    Well done!
    Thanks for sharing
    I really enjoy the big borres
    What fun, what fun
    Thanks again
    Mike

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
    Hopefully I can still post here!
    Seems I am persona non grata elsewhere as I had the temerity to attach a Mauser barrel to a Martini frame " sacreligious don't you know"

Was thinking about doing a couple more but caught a lot of flac over it so will pass and work on other guns I already have.
    Thought you might like to know the final outcome!

beekeeper
    It is your gun and personally I think you did an outstanding job with it. The only person you need to make happy is you. You basically took a handful of pretty much useless parts and turned them into a viable nice looking firearm that I am sure many here would be proud to own.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    Where is this place that pushed you away?
    Where do I find a Gahendra like that? That is cheap fun. I could stand some of that.
    One of the other sites mentioned a couple of places with Gahendras but the price at one was $289 for some hideous thing that appeared to have been buried.
    EDG

Beekeeper
    EDG,
    They all look like that in the uncleaned version.
    IMA-USA has them (Uncleaned ) for $130 and change with shipping.
    Cleaned and fireable they go for about$500.00 shipped.
    The ones I used were uncleaned parts rifles that I bought for parts.
    Unfortunately the parts I wanted were broken in the parts rifles as well.
    They came with no stocks and a lot of grunge ( 100 years worth)
    They lay in my junk box for 6 months until I decided to try and do something with them.
    I love old Mausers and have several barrels off of the 71/84 Mauser so I married a mauser barrel to the Gahendra action after having a friend x-ray the action and blocks.Buckshot here at cast boolits cut and dovetailed the barrel for me.
    The rest was a lot of hand work and stock making but They came out OK I think. There are some people around that think I commeted sacrilige by doing it but they both shoot quite well.
    I posted pictures of them both in a previous post. One is in Military form with a full length barrel and the other is a sporter version I use for every day shooting.

I have nearly 2 years of work in building them and am quite proud of them but with all things ,I have put them away and will move on to other guns I have that need to be shot.

beekeeper

Boolit Grand Master

I have nearly 2 years of work in building them and am quite proud of them but with all things ,I have put them away and will move on to other guns I have that need to be shot.

beekeeper

Put them away? I realize they're your guns but there's an action I'll take issue with. I wish I had 10% of the skill and patience it took to build those rifles. If I could build something like that I'd have them on the front row of my safe and they'd be regular shooters.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.