Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PROTECT the Chrony!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken73 View Post
    So at a 45 degree angle it'd be about 5&1/2" long by 4" wide (the width of the Chrony.) At 30 degrees it'd be a little longer obviously but Speedy Metals sells 1" 1045 steel at $56 for a 12"x12" piece (they can custom cut for you.) So a piece of 4"x6" would be about $10 (approximately.) A 12"x12" piece weighs about 40lbs so the 4"x6" piece would weigh a little over 4.5lbs. Wouldn't be 30 degrees exactly but it'd be close enough (better than 90.)

So next question is - how do I support a hunk of 4.5lb steel in front of my Chrony without my wimpy tripod collapsing in on itself? LOL
    There's a lot cheaper sources of steel... I can pick up scrap pieces of steel in 2-4" thick pieces for about $0.40 per pound...

Supporting it is easy... Put a brick behind the back edge of it... Weld a couple of pieces of 1/2" solid square bar as legs on the back side of it... Put a hinge on the back bottom of it with something attached to the other side of the hinge that would bring the back edge up high enough to protect the chrony... Plenty of choices...

Or maybe have the piece of steel plate sloping the other way so that if you hit it, the bullets will deflect into the ground?

If you have access to some pieces of railroad rails, you could lay them on their side so that the top of the rail was facing you. Maybe put two of them there, just in case... Probably good enough for most handgun rounds, even with it being basically 90 degrees...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mktacop View Post
    I always wondered just HOW someone could shoot their chrony......then last Saturday I found out for myself. I managed to hit one of the sunscreen support legs with a 95gr .380 bullet. It bent the **** out of the support leg, but no damage to the chrony itself.

I really like the wooden dowel idea...think I'll go that route now.
    Better to use plastic soda straws from McDonalds or Burger King---use a round plastic coffee stirrer to fit in the hole of teh Chrony---built up with masking tape then slip the soda straw onto it. Should you hit the straw there will be no damage to your Chrony. I like the colorful straws--Red from Burger King and Blue from Culvers.

The 1/8" aluminum base plate on my version is a great shock absorber. Total cost for enough materials to build four units was under $40 at the local supplier from their drop bin. With an already defunct chrony, tests proved to me you have no way of telling which direction a shot will spin or tumble so trying to direct richocet might be a waste of time. Even a .22 will rock a tripod pretty well. Keep the cable to the readout free so it can follow the chrony and not snap out of one unit or the other.

And in case anyone was wondering, after tests with the dummy setup, I did indeed shoot the working model with a factory 30-06 round.

This project came about after so called friends wiped out previous chronys with a wrist rocket slingshot, an arrow from a compound bow and I wiped one out with a .380.

jim

Boolit Buddy
    kenjuudo you got as much in shot up chronys as I do my gun collection ..

The aluminum does look like it soaked up a lot of energy from the 06 and the chrony free to fly to you might have something.. Next question if it works what are you going to do with all extra money?

Quote Originally Posted by Roosters View Post
    kenjuudo you got as much in shot up chronys as I do my gun collection ..

The aluminum does look like it soaked up a lot of energy from the 06 and the chrony free to fly to you might have something.. Next question if it works what are you going to do with all extra money?
    Buy more cheap chinamart tripods.

Boolit Buddy
    So is there any benefit to layering (laminating?) materials?

Can be - look up Chobham armour

If you are laminating dissimilar materials there could be an advantage but I think keeping the layers bonded after a boolit strike will end up being the hurtle. On the other hand, laminating several layers of thin bullet proof acrylic might be more cost effective than purchasing a thick piece. Never having priced bullet proof acrylic however, there stands a good chance I'm wrong.
    Is this a......what day is this??

Boolit Buddy
    That's what I was thinking; several "thin" (1/4") layers of plexiglass at an angle. It would more than likely destroy it with a bullet strike but it wouldn't ruin the Chrony and wouldn't be nearly as heavy either.

Ugh, I got my UPS tracking number and my new Chrony won't be here until Thursday. Definitely not doing this again!

Boolit Buddy
    http://www.tapplastics.com/product/p..._resistant/440

I have no idea what this stuff could withstand, but it would have to be lighter than steel, plus a 4x4 chunk of it is only $10.

Boolit Master
    Somehow the name implies this might happen one day

SHOOTING CHRONYŽ

Boolit Buddy
    The only reason that I can see for some type of plexi would be if you just HAD to be able to see through it.

Anyone considered maybe a couple of sandbags?

Anyone considered maybe a couple of sandbags?
    That would be too easy!

Just a single sandbag lengthways and while we're at it, custom made, is all it needs. Don't know why I didn't think of that! A simple steel tube three legged frame would support both sandbag and chrony.

The aluminium idea is clever. Kevlar should stop the deflection and ricochet problem but still needs a metal backing - no problem with aluminium and the support only needs to be light weight.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

in Remebrance
    Protecting the unit itself is problematic. Using bamboo skewers to support the diffuser screens is cheap and works great. GW

Banned
    Why not just learn to aim?

Absent minded people will always be a danger, be it at the range or in traffic.

Boolit Buddy
    Alright.. got my new Chrony in today.. I think I might start a materials test to see what materials will stand up to the punishment!

Ken, check your PM

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Thief View Post
    Why not just learn to aim?

Absent minded people will always be a danger, be it at the range or in traffic.
    What? How can tha possibly work?

Wait, it has been working for mine for years.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Fellows,

I like the wood dowel trick!

My pal shot his crony a while back. He sent it back & they replaced the broken parts at a very low cost. He center drilled it right through the display!
    I can still see the stunned look on his face..... OOPS!.....

Best,
    broomhandle

Boolit Master

Lots of great information here, especially the variety of support rods.

Why not a steel plate hung in front? I watched some of Hickock 45's youtube uploads and this seems to be enough to deflect his rounds, repeatedly. Ricochet becomes a problem only if the protection is fixed in place. Now what about splatter from the plate???

I have not used anything to protect my chrony from errant shots for the last 25 years but I am thinking it may be time to start.

DRNurse1

Education is one thing you can give away freely while suffering no personal loss and likely increasing one's own knowledge.

Properly vetted source information prevents GIGO, the scourge of the internet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast