Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ?? Has this load data changed ?? 44 mag.

Boolit Master

?? Has this load data changed ?? 44 mag.

I am tired of searching the net for loads and I have a question.
    My load book is the Lyman 45th Edition, ( I know it's old ) so am I
    it is a soft cover with plastic spiral binding.
    I would like to use this load data but I need to know if it is still usable.
    They say it's from a S&W Model 29 6.5" barrel

********44 Magnum**********
    250 cast bullet, My bullet is 429421

Bulls eye ------ Min. 4gr. Vel. 647 Max. 6gr. Vel. 858

Unique ------- 7gr. 819 11gr. 1200

2400 ------- 18 1088 22* 1295

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Bullseye is fine, I would call 10.0gr. Unique the max and 18gr. 2400 to be max. That 22gr. 2400 is WAY overpressure.

Boolit Master
    Hey Sam!!

I have Lyman's 43rd, 45th, and 49th. I also have the 3rd and 4th Editions of the Cast Bullet Handbook.
    Here's the data for those 3 powders, from the 4 books that you don't have, for specifically the 429421:

Lyman's 43rd:
    Bullseye____4.0---700fps___7.0---950fps
    Unique_____8.0---850fps___13.5---1310fps
    2400______16.0---980fps___23.0---1460fps
    Lyman's 49th:
    Bullseye____no data
    Unique_____9.8---912fps___13.0---1147fps
    2400______18.5---1087fps___20.6---1248fps
    3rd Edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook
    Bullseye____no data
    2400______19.4---974fps___23.4---1232fps
    4th Edition of the Cast Bullet Handbook
    Bullseye____no data
    2400______18.5---1087fps___20.6---1248fps

I know that it's almost more confusing, but if you need clarification on any of these, just give me a call. If you don't have my number handy, send me a PM.

Take care!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Bullseye is fine, I would call 10.0gr. Unique the max and 18gr. 2400 to be max. That 22gr. 2400 is WAY overpressure.
    Gee, I wish I had known that when I ran thousands of that load through my SBH shooting IHMSA matches and practice. I never had any indications of overpressure signs in my gun.

Boolit Master

Thank you very much for the Info. It seems that the info for unique has changed a little. I shot 10 grains of unique and it seemed fairly stout so I needed to check.
    I know it's a pain to type all that so I thank you a whole lot for doing it for me.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Super Moderator

18.5 of 2400 is my standard "knock em in the dirt" and accurate load in my .44 SBH. More powder in that particular gun opens up the groups. My Contender however, likes 20-21 gr of 2400 with the same boolit, 240 Lee C240-240-SWC.

Boolit Bub
    With the newer methods of measuring pressures and the development of manufacuring cleaner powders, load data has been changed. For example, a 357 Mag load using 2400, which I used in my SW28-2 is today considered to 1 grain over max. I have shot over 20,000 rounds with the load and my 28 is as tight as the day I bought it nearly 40 yrs ago.

Remember the original Keith load with 2400 was 22.5 grs of 2400. I would used the current data for guidence. Also, maximun loads do not mean that you will achieve best results. Sometimes you obtain better velocity and grouping with lesser loads.

Boolit Master

Loading with any powder is done using the 'guidelines' from the manual or the manufacturer. aren't we supposed to work up the load with each different lot of the same powder? For the loads I use on most cartridges I don't even approach max so I don't worry about minor differences from lot to lot. If I were a bench rest shooter however . . .

While at the NRA Annual Meeting, I spoke with the factory rep from Alliant regarding Blue Dot loads in the .357 Mag. He said if the can says Hercules go ahead and use the old data. According to the rep, the Alliant Blue Dot is not recommended for .357 as it isn't exactly the same. He also said they didn't change Blue Dot on purpose, it just came out different.

Old books are still a great reference and I have some old books. Nowadays, I use the internet a lot but I still compare to the old books. It is sad to see how few loads are listed in the Lyman #49 for the .41 Mag compared to my older books. FRank

Boolit Master

Each new version of data reflect growing impact of lawyers in the shooing sports. I keep using the old data with old powder and never have a problem.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    Gee, I wish I had known that when I ran thousands of that load through my SBH shooting IHMSA matches and practice. I never had any indications of overpressure signs in my gun.
    #429421 loaded to 1.610" with 22gr. of 2400 is a heavily compressed load producing 60,000 psi. Is this really what you were doing, or did you use a different bullet? Or load it to a longer OAL? That will change everything, y'know.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Not so. I've used this load (22gr 2400) developed by Elmer Keith (father of the 44Mag) and it's fine.
    I've also used it with a 200gr boolit and it is not too heavy and will go up to 23 or 24gr.
    429421 is 200gr I believe. Are you gas checking them?

Mind you I would work up in sensible increments as common sense dictates!

Boolit Master
    the 429421 is a 250g boolit

Boolit Buddy
    There may be a difference in the burn rate of the older Herc 2400 and the new stuff.

Boolit Master
    23 grains 2400, & 300 grain bullet killed my bear.
    I would not try it in a Smith 29 though, My Redhawk didnt care

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    There may be a difference in the burn rate of the older Herc 2400 and the new stuff.
    There sure is! The 2400 ole Elmer used is certainly not the same powder as what you get today if you buy a can of 2400. Even Alliant used to talk about that when they changed it, back in the late '80's or early '90's I believe.

Boolit Master
    2400 is The Same Powder it always was: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=72355

IMHO When you get really sticky cases you are Expanding the Chamber which returns to trap the brass and you are in Metal Fatigue Territory. I won't shoot 22g of 2400 in my S&W.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

[QUOTE=fcvan;1754845]Loading with any powder is done using the 'guidelines' from the manual or the manufacturer. aren't we supposed to work up the load with each different lot of the same powder? For the loads I use on most cartridges I don't even approach max so I don't worry about minor differences from lot to lot. If I were a bench rest shooter however . . .

While at the NRA Annual Meeting, I spoke with the factory rep from Alliant regarding Blue Dot loads in the .357 Mag. He said if the can says Hercules go ahead and use the old data. According to the rep, the Alliant Blue Dot is not recommended for .357 as it isn't exactly the same. He also said they didn't change Blue Dot on purpose, it just came out different.

Old books are still a great reference and I have some old books. Nowadays, I use the internet a lot but I still compare to the old books. It is sad to see how few loads are listed in the Lyman #49 for the .41 Mag compared to my older books. FRank[/QUOTE]

Yep, regardless of when the data was published, start low and work up.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

I use 21 grains of 2400 with a 429421 in my Contender. With a perfectly sealed 14" tube it's a LOT of power and approaches carbine velocities. My lino boolits weigh 255 grains but won't cast any more that hard- it's a waste of linotype. I had never cast pure lino before any just wanted to try some out.

Alliant recommends a max of 20 grains with a 250 grain Keith boolit for a velocity of 1,390 fps. It's probably best to stick with the manufacturer''s guidelines in a S&W, or at least use a chrono to KNOW where you are with velocities. The SBH, Redhawk and Contender are capable of handling much higher pressures, hence the "Ruger and Contender Only" load data in some manuals.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    If I were a bench rest shooter however . . . BR shooters care only about winning and will shoot loads far exceeding any book max. Their guns are made heavy enough to idle at 65K cup. So, NEVER steal those loads. In fact, I am even surprised they publish them when considering these are lawyer days. ... felix

Rep also said they didn't change Blue Dot on purpose, it just came out different. ... Yep, every lot of any powder is different. When surprisingly it is the same via practice, it is by pure luck of the start-to-finish chemistry coming together as designed by selection and the process of manufacture. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Master
    I have used 18.0/2400 under a 240K which is listed as the start load in my Speer manual, but lately have pretty much given up on using twice as much powder to get a few hundred fps when 9.5 of Unique with a 240/250 swc will dump any deer that has held still long enough. Keith said his bullet performed better than any other he had ever used with everything from 5.0 of Bullseye, mid range 8.5/Unique loads up to his full power 22.0 of 2400 loads. I wouldn't have a problem with 22/2400 in my Rugers, IF i thought i needed a magnum load with 2400 insted of using H110 and likely i would use a heavier boolit as well.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith