Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: newbie getting things in order

Boolit Mold

newbie getting things in order

I'm completely new to reloading and have just jumped in, probably a bit too fast. The idea of making my own boolits gets me kid-on-chistmas excited.
    Im currently looking to reload .380 acp and 9mm. And im really not sure if my knowledge is complete enough to make real decisions yet, so Ive ordered a Lyman 49Th Edition Reloading Handbook and since id like to start casting after I get the hang of reloading, I also grabbed Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4Th Edition. (both ordered on amazon and not here yet), however, my excitement got the best of me and I ordered a progressive press, scale, calipers, dies, boolit puller, and some other gear. and didnt stop till I got to the checkout screen at powdervalley about to place an order for boolits/primers/powder, where I realized that I had no Idea if my powder would work in handguns, or if it was a low quality powder, or what concerns I should have with the combination of components ive ordered.

so heres my question, is my lyman reloading handbook going to give me all the information I need to make a powder/boolit selection and fill in any knowledge-gaps I may not know I have, or is there some other book on reloading that I should also be buying? I have read no books on the subject, ive just pieced together information available on the web.

also, is there some sort of list ive overlooked that would tell me a good sequence of things to study to smooth out my learning curve and make sure im not leaving out some important issue to pay attention to?

Thank you all for creating this community, as a newbie I certainly appreciate it.
    Last edited by authentic; 06-24-2012 at 04:11 AM. Reason: corected double types.

Boolit Master
    The Lyman manuals will cover MOST of the possible bullet/powder/primer combinations but not all. It's always nice to have other manuals on hand for that very reason, whether it be Speer, Sierra, Lee or other mfg.

I would suggest reading the manuals slowly and see how the various pieces of equipment relate to the chapter being read, then re-read the manual. Reloading/casting are not processes that you want to rush.

I wouldn't have started on a progressive press, just my opinion, but by taking your time and setting up the dies correctly, learning the proper proceedure and developing a routine, it can be done. If at any point you get frustrated, take a pause for the cause.

I'm sure others will have their suggestions/comments.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Buddy
    You made a good choice in a first manual with the Lyman. On line load data, from the powder and bullet manufacturers, can fill in the blanks left by it. I do however recommend more manuals for general information gathering purposes. Read, read, and read some more. If you plan to load jacketed target loads for rifle down the road the Sierra manual would be a great second manual. What kind of progressive press did you order? Good luck!
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Yes the Lyman book is very good! Don't stop there! If you live in or near a big city try to find a used book store. Then you can get a better price and see if the book gives something that you need. I probably have 15 or so books just on reloading and they run from the 1920's to present time and I use all of them!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Don't forget ebooks either. Kindle, nook, whatever.

Take care

r1kk1

Moderator Emeritus
    Welcome to Cast Boolits.

The Lyman book is a very good starting point and will get you going safely.

There are infinite permutations of loads and rifles and circumstances and no two handloading books are exactly the same, this can lead to confusion in the beginning.

Lyman test all their data which is always a good thing for robustness of their figure in their circumstances. Lyman data has stood me well over the years.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    You made a good choice in a first manual with the Lyman. On line load data, from the powder and bullet manufacturers, can fill in the blanks left by it. I do however recommend more manuals for general information gathering purposes. Read, read, and read some more. If you plan to load jacketed target loads for rifle down the road the Sierra manual would be a great second manual. What kind of progressive press did you order? Good luck!
    thank you all! it sounds like Im doing ok so far, hopefully ill be able to read the manual ive ordered and be ready to load a few rounds by next weekend.

@Walt thanks for the tip on the sierra manual, I didnt mention it but I actually do plan on learning to produce high quality target rifle ammo in the future. I got a lee pro1000, I know its not the nicest press on the market (its the cheepest progressive right?) but the mechanically inclined seem to do ok with it and im only out $120 for it new so I can upgrade to something more fancy later and all the other parts I bought ill need anyway. I dont have to produce that much .380 to make it worth $120 and im sure ill learn a lot.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Czech_too View Post
    The Lyman manuals will cover MOST of the possible bullet/powder/primer combinations but not all. It's always nice to have other manuals on hand for that very reason, whether it be Speer, Sierra, Lee or other mfg.

I would suggest reading the manuals slowly and see how the various pieces of equipment relate to the chapter being read, then re-read the manual. Reloading/casting are not processes that you want to rush.

I wouldn't have started on a progressive press, just my opinion, but by taking your time and setting up the dies correctly, learning the proper proceedure and developing a routine, it can be done. If at any point you get frustrated, take a pause for the cause.

I'm sure others will have their suggestions/comments.

I got a lee pro 1000, my understanding is that you can disable the indexing rod and use it as a single stage press. do you think I should consider getting a separate single stage to learn on? has anyone tried using the pro 1000 as single stage?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by authentic View Post
    thank you all! it sounds like Im doing ok so far, hopefully ill be able to read the manual ive ordered and be ready to load a few rounds by next weekend.

@Walt thanks for the tip on the sierra manual, I didnt mention it but I actually do plan on learning to produce high quality target rifle ammo in the future. I got a lee pro1000, I know its not the nicest press on the market (its the cheepest progressive right?) but the mechanically inclined seem to do ok with it and im only out $120 for it new so I can upgrade to something more fancy later and all the other parts I bought ill need anyway. I dont have to produce that much .380 to make it worth $120 and im sure ill learn a lot.
    If the Pro 1000 can be used single stage that would be a great way to start.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Buddy

I can't say for sure what printing my 49th lyman is and not gonna go to the shop in the rain to check, but the data for 380 is low the max is less than starting in the speer or hornady manual. And would not cycle the lcp.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop View Post
    I can't say for sure what printing my 49th lyman is and not gonna go to the shop in the rain to check, but the data for 380 is low the max is less than starting in the speer or hornady manual. And would not cycle the lcp.
    Anyone want to recommend a book for .380 I can order? Im looking in used bookshops here but so far no luck.

Boolit Master
    "I got a lee pro 1000, my understanding is that you can disable the indexing rod and use it as a single stage press. do you think I should consider getting a separate single stage to learn on? has anyone tried using the pro 1000 as single stage?"

I'm not familiar with this press but if you can use it as a singe stage, I would use it that way until you familiarize yourself with the process of reloading and feel comfortable with it. The following is a quote from the Lee site on this particular press, so it can be done. "Alternate loading sequence lets you load only one case at a time. Makes learning easy for the first time user and great for fine adjustments or experimenting."

As to loading rifle cartridges, it looks like this press is limited to the .223 or cartidges of similar length or shorter. With this in mind, you may eventually want to acquire another press more suitable for longer/larger rifle cartridges. Regardless of this presses capabilities, use what you have on hand and when you feel confident that you understand the process, and if your needs dictate it, then pick up another press.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Welcome to the Forum.

The Lyman books are a great start especially since they are very, very informative regarding cast bullet (boolit) properties and characteristics.

Please do add a Speer, Nosler or Hodgen manual and keep adding as long as you keep expanding your reloading activities.

Since you have already bought the Pro 1000, and since you are a complete Newbie, why don't you consider Lee's recomendation to load one round at a time WITHOUT ACTIVATING THE CASE FEEDER for the first 100 rounds or so ? and watch every case to study the timing of the press and its operation. Before you know it you will have that first 100 or 200 loaded.

Good luck,

regards,

Since you have already bought the Pro 1000, and since you are a complete Newbie, why don't you consider Lee's recomendation to load one round at a time WITHOUT ACTIVATING THE CASE FEEDER for the first 100 rounds or so ? and watch every case to study the timing of the press and its operation. Before you know it you will have that first 100 or 200 loaded.
    Good advise here. I know a guy that started with a pro 1000 about 15 years ago and that's how he learned to load on it. He still uses the same press and has never considered anything else. I used to have one, but i can't remember if it can be used as a single stage or not, but it shouldn't get confusing running only one round through at a time.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all, I will definitely be either slowly loading one round at a time without the case feeder or using the press without indexing until I have a solid feel for the operation, as per everyones recommendation. as far as rifle loading goes, I know ill want another press for that, but Im happy to have this one to learn on and if I like it ill leave it set up for pistol all the time and have another for rifle. but I dont even own a rifle I want to reload for yet (it will be a 308) so it will be some time before I get to that.
    I'm not reloading to save money or for political creed or civic duty. I'm reloading because reloading is awesome.
    And zombies, I'm also reloading in case of zombies.

Boolit Grand Master

Authentic, you are in Raleigh, NC. Surely there are reloaders near you who would be more than willing to introduce you to the joy of making your own. Start asking around gun shops and they will almost certainly know someone close. Casting is another matter.

Both reloading and casting are rather steep learning curves at the beginning. My standard recommendation is to not try to climb them both together. Learn to reload using condom bullets and get comfortable with that process. Then learn to cast and load cast.

Let me second the recommendation of multiple manuals. The Lyman is a good start, the Serria is also and the only one I had for years of loading 30-30 and 44 Mag. before I started casting my own.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!